Anyone into RC helicopters? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2011, 07:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Garage
Anyone into RC helicopters?

I got a small Air Hog for my 4 year old son just to play around with but I ended up getting the bug.

I've heard you should start with coaxial helicopters but is that absolutely necessary?

I just ordered a $25.00, five inch coaxial helicopter for in-house playing around.

Syma S107 Mini Gyro (Red) - Electric RC Helicopters - XenonProject.com

but

I'd really like to get this single blade Double Horse 9100. It's about 19 inches in length:

Double Horse 9100 Metal Gyro RC Helicopter (Black) - Electric RC Helicopters - XenonProject.com

I'm just concerning how hard it may be to fly and the flight time (8-10 minutes) is on the low side, I think.

So, for now, I ordered a Double Horse 9053 coaxial. It's about 24 inches in length.

Double Horse 9053 Gyro Volitation - Electric RC Helicopters - XenonProject.com

Since the shop is closed, I still have until tomorrow morning to decide. Any thoughts? These will probably not be the last RC helicopters I get if I really get into this.
Allan Gibbs is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2011, 07:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

I've never met a helicopter I didn't crash. Give yourself lots of room!
The bigger ones are easier to fly but are more likely to be damaged in a crash. Then again they are more repairable as the tiny ones are EXTREMELY weight sensitive. Either way, they all end up in pieces.
dasmoofler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

I've flown a bunch of electric helis. I have a blade msr for indoor flying. It's decent, stable and worth the extra $$$. You can chase the cats around with it, just don't get directly under the air conditioning vents.

Spare parts are cheap and available. Buy a spare tail rotor motor. After a couple of dozen crashes, the magnets will start coming loose in the motor.
LtDoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 08:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

i was in your same shoes 5 years ago when I bot my nephew a coaxial for christmas, before next christmas came and several upgrades later I started flying larger collective pitch electric helis (trex600). rc heli's are addictive and lots of fun! enjoy.

+1 on larger helis, they are easier to fly.
Reindeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

That first one you listed - the Syma S-107 is extremely cool and easy to fly. I have one and love it. Its the perfect indoor flying machine and its addictive. It's only about 7.5 inches long and you can do some VERY precise flying in and around furniture and obstacles. It has a gyro so it is super stable. You can hover in one exact spot and land on a dime. Literally. I'm amazed at the precision engineering and mechanics of a 'toy' for under $35 online. And it can take a mean beating without any harm. Even a 25 foot drop after hitting my ceiling and its ready to keep on going. Its so precise I can fly up to my ceiling fan blades, nudge the landing skids against the blade and push the ceiling fan around. It's also got very precise turning and can make micro adjustments. The battery lasts plenty long for each flight and the remote is a 'super wide' infrared meaning you never need to worry about it being line of sight. It never loses control even behind furniture. And one of the coolest things to me, you never need batteries. Still on the original set of double A's in the remote after almost year and the helicopter charges up its onboard rechargeable battery by plugging it into a USB connection on your computer. I don't even consider this a 'toy'. Its too well designed for that. I've never had much luck with flying r/c stuff but this thing is a huge leap forward. Its effortless. (By the way - its for indoors only. And works a lot better with no a/c vents blowing on it.)
saffron blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:17 AM   #6 (permalink)

I have a Walkera Cb-180z Walkera 2.4Ghz CB180Z Shaft Driven Helicopter w/ Auto Stabilizing Gyro & Brushless Motor/ESC/Lipo that I like but the only problem is it strips gears in instant you touch anything. I also have a co axle comanchie one but the landing gear is too close together so half the time it tips over before you get it off the ground. Either way I'd recommend getting some spare parts and a few battery packs as well as training gear for it.

Both Hottest 2.4GHz RC Helicopters 100% RTF for Beginners to Professional Helicopter Pilots Mini Micro Helicopter Syma Double Horse (Esky, T-Rex, Exceed RC, Walkera) and Walkera V100D01, V120D01/02/03, V200D01/DQ01/D02, V400D02, V450D01, 4G6/S, 4#6/S/BELL, 53QD, 59DQ, 1#A, CB100, CB180Z/D/Q, Lama2-1, Lama3, Lama 400D/400 EC135, UFLYS, 4#3B, 5#10, Helicopters & Parts: USA Walkera Outlet are good WalkeraDirect.com / GetDealerPrices.com is the way to go if you get anything walkera
Seth W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:27 AM   #7 (permalink)

I have both the types ( different makes). The coaxial are really easy to fly around the house (not that great outside since it is not RF type). The other that I have is the single rotor version (RF-6 channel) which I have crashed a bunch of times. It is hard to fly because your speed / height is controlled via power. I think that it would be better to get the ones with Collective Pitch blades as they are running on constant speed and you can change the angle of the blades to make it go up or down. But definitely get lots of additional parts!!! Part of learning is crashing (only with toys, not with Elise...too expensive)
fromvinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:38 AM   #8 (permalink)

Hello everyone. I am also a very big r/c heli guy. If you are starting out and want a heli to learn on then I would get the Blade MCX or the MCX2. It is a small indoor heli but it is very stable and fun to fly. Yes, coaxial helis are easy to fly and I recomand starting there. The airhogs are nice but if you go with the mcx/mcx2 then you are now into a "hobby quialty" heli and can 100% rebuild it. They are also pretty durable as well. I my self fly collective pitch helis(can fly inverted). I have a Blade 400 and a T-rex 250. Here are links to the mcx and the mcx2.

Horizon Hobby: Blade mCX2 RTF by BLADE (EFLH2400)

Horizon Hobby: Blade mCX2 RTF by BLADE (EFLH2400)
Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks. Since I ready placed the order, I'm getting the S107 and the Double Horse 9053. I like the 9100 but, this would be my first rc helicopters (Air Hog mini is really a toy) and most of all, the store I ordered them from did not have the parts for the 9100.

And, these probably won't be the last rc copters I get.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

Esky Belt CP 2, love it!
ythart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:25 PM   #11 (permalink)

I've got more than 7 heli's so far. A friend let me try his blade MCX and it was over for me. Coax generally are very easy to fly. The smaller the better they handle crashes.
After the MCX I wanted something bigger like a cx3 then you get a cp pro 2 that has collective pitch so you can fly outdoors.
Best tip is to find what your local hobby shop supports, then you'll always have parts and help.
My latest toy is an AR Drone. Very easy to fly as it's inboard computer acts as an autopilot. Has video and telemetry on the iOS device controlling it.
2005 Elise,Touring & Sport,Bordeaux Red Pearl + mods.
1986 Pontiac Fiero Gt, 1986 Toyota Pickup
habendanio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:24 PM   #12 (permalink)

Yes I fly R/C helicopters. It is my attempt to boost the economy by purchasing about $10 / minute of flight time worth of replacement parts!
Old 04-11-2011, 08:43 PM   #13 (permalink)

You'll do fine with the S107. We have one for the office. The onboard gyro is the key for stability. I also found one on e-bay that is about half the size of the S107, but there is some stiction in the balance bar assembly that I have to address, so it's not as stable.
Finally, if you're into having one that is scale, I purchased one from e-bay that is a pretty good copy of the Russian KA-52, which is co-ax IRL.
Mdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 09:42 PM   #14 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by habendanio View Post
Best tip is to find what your local hobby shop supports, then you'll always have parts and help.
My latest toy is an AR Drone. Very easy to fly as it's inboard computer acts as an autopilot. Has video and telemetry on the iOS device controlling it.
I've noticed a lot of "hobby shop" have gone into the online format only. They've got great prices but won't let you set foot in their shop without an appointment.

These are the closest ones to me:

BananaHobby - Radio Controlled RC Airplanes, Helicopters, Boats, Tanks, Cars & Trucks
RC Helicopters, RC Cars, RC Airplanes, RC Trucks, RC Boats & RC Toys

Incidentally, the RC planes look pretty interesting too:

Warthog:
YouTube - bananahobby ?? ????

F22 Raptor:
YouTube - bananahobby ?? ????
Old 04-12-2011, 04:25 AM   #15 (permalink)

Have a cb180. Great for indoors!
Also recently got an AR Drone quad copter, thing is sweet and uses wifi and your iPhone, iPod, iPad to control it!, u can record video etc
Ravenbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:47 PM   #16 (permalink)

I'm just getting back into R/C airplanes. I started in the bad old days, late 60's. Tubes, reeds, galloping ghost... The new parkzone ultra micros are fund and cheap.
DeanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:31 PM   #17 (permalink)

Garage
My mini-copter and 24 inch, Double Horse 9053 copter arrived. The S107 works pretty well in doors and is pretty fun. It does take a little getting use to.

I didn't really have the space to try the 9053 much beside powering it up and let it hover. I think I need to fiddle with the trims a little.

The instruction manuals are really basic. Neither tells you how to change the battery. I suppose to change the battery, you simply undo the screws holding the body?

The small black one is an Air Hog's mini-copter than I got at Toys R Us for my son. Turns out, at $32.00, it's more expensive than the S107 ($25) and 1/2 the price of the 9053 ($60). It doesn't work very well but it's really for my 4 year old and he gets the basic idea.
Attached Images

Old 04-15-2011, 09:31 PM   #18 (permalink)

Garage
So, I think I learned something today. Coaxial helicopters really can't fly in slight wind. The little S107 can't really fly very well outside and the larger 9053 really needs almost no wind.

I heard single blades are harder to learn on but can handle wind better. Maybe I should have gotten on of those? I was considering Double Horse's 9100. Maybe next time.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:44 AM   #19 (permalink)

Based on the recommendations on this thread I bought a S107. It arrived yesterday. Great fun.

I wish the battery charged more quickly and that it had more flight time per charge. I'm already thinking of getting a few more and starting a process of modifications. CF tail boom...

Now a bunch of folks at work have ordered them at least 10 so far.

Last edited by DeanG; 05-05-2011 at 12:58 PM.
DeanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 03:17 AM   #20 (permalink)

double horse 9053

hey guys, im about to modify a double horse 9053 remote controlled helicopter for my personal project at school. I am trying to modify it and put a wireless mini camera for rescue use. Here, i want to ask some question to you all and fill it as my survey.

1. what is the specification you wanted to have for a RC helicopter?
2. what color would you like to have?
3. would you want to have it in more lighter weight or the normal weight? (for carry)
4. where would you put a wireless mini camera in that helicopter?

thank you for your time, you answers will help me and i appreciate that
kurnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Other