Armstrong Doper? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: Is Lance a doper?
Yes 11 11.83%
No 60 64.52%
Maybe 4 4.30%
I don't care if he did 18 19.35%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2006, 07:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
TTP

Armstrong Doper?

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=5508863

Just curious to see what current public opinion is about Lance.
TTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2006, 07:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

Who knows... they all dope. I hope he didn't, but I wouldn't be surprised. Nobody *really* knows.
PedalPounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 07:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
TTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedalPounder
Who knows... they all dope. I hope he didn't, but I wouldn't be surprised. Nobody *really* knows.
...therefore it's a level playing field. I kinda think that too.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

He is a mutant

After he got treatment for cancer, the radiation made him superhuman. Haven't you ever heard of the X-Men?

Seriously, I am avid MTBiker. What he does is absoloutely amazing. Overall, he is not that much better than other riders on flat roads, but when it gets twisty and steep, he turns on another gear. It's absolutely sick. His technique of high rpm's on those steep climbs is unbelieveble. His heart is almost the double the size of a regular humans, and it is capable of pumping 3 times the volume of oxyginated blood than us mortals. Also, he trains like no other. He probably rides 700 miles a week when he was training. Also after a stage, he will rush to his masseuse and get a massage before he eats, because if you eat first the blood will flow to the mid section to aide in digestion. Thus more lactic acid build up in his legs. Little things like that set him apart from others.

Plus it dosen't hurt to have a team that shield you from competion, and a R&D department that build you the fastest/lightest bikes on the planet. Did you know last Tour deFrance, they banned his time trails helmet because the governing body deemed it "unfair" because it was so slippery. His TREK bikes are the F1 of the cycling industry.

So do I think he is fake? 95% sure he is all human powered.

Last edited by nugg_dawg; 06-29-2006 at 07:51 PM.
nugg_dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 07:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

not a chance.
thetoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 08:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
TTP

OK so I'll play devil's advocate here. I've been an avid cyclist and a fan of cyling since the late 80's and grew up watching guys like Hampsten, Lemond, Hinault, Chiapucci, Indurain, etc. and as far back as I can remember there were always guys getting caught each season for some form of doping whether is was heterogeneous tranfusions, EPO, HGH etc. My assertion is that the sport was and is dirty. I think it all culminated in 1998 but even after the 1998 Festina scandal I believe you still had rampant doping as evidenced by some pretty big names such as Pantani, Hamilton and Heras getting caught. Seriously there are at least 3 or 4 riders each year that get caught. Look at the the recent Operacion Puertos scandal. I just don't think anyone clean can dominate a race where there were dopers. No way! We're talking about the most elite riders and some of whom like Hamilton doped, and you are saying Lance did this on natural ability only? I know all about Lance's lactic acid theshold and his ability to flush LA, genetic gifts, his training and motivation, etc but there is now way you can dominate a field like he did without doping at some point in his career. If you find one roach in your house you don't think there are others?
Old 06-29-2006, 08:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

All of his surprise blood and urine tests always come back clean. All the doping allegations come from the French, it really burns them up that he keeps winning their race.

Their sources for the doping "proof" are always some sap a tabloid dug up claiming that Lance confessed to them...years before. Or some chambermaid that saw meds in his hotel room...years before. The Frenchies have historically displayed an uncanny sense of when an ass whipping is brewing, and they roll over; but they just don't want to surrender that Tour de France cup.
DeathTrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 08:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

Of course he is - how the hell else do you recover from testicular cancer that's metastasized?

I don't think he doped while competing, but I firmly believe he was changed by his condition - both physiologically and psychologically. Would he had been as successful without having gone through it? Even he has admitted to not knowing the answer to that.
I'm currently working on my performance driving merit badge.
There's always somebody faster, sometimes it's me.
codymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 08:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
TTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathTrap
All the doping allegations come from the French, it really burns them up that he keeps winning their race.
Before this latest allegation you could have chalked it up to the French media out to get him. Read the article above it's not the French this time. This most recent one involves a case where a sponsor withheld a bonus after his 6th tour based upon their belief that he doped. In sworn testmony Betsy Andreu wife of Frankie Andreu testified to Lance's admission of doping in the hospital. Is this definitive? For most people it's not. From what I've read she was reluctant to testify and Frankie never wanted to go public with it. Would someone be so jealous as to risk perjury?
Old 06-29-2006, 08:43 PM   #10 (permalink)

mental toughness . he is an inspiration, he kicked cancers ass too. I hate wankers who cant believe in the power of human spirit and ability. show me proof, then make your accusations. its sad that people get thier asses whipped, and cry foul. some people are better than other. Michale Jordan is a prime example of a "competitor", he hates to loose at anything...............thus he is more successful than most;
I guess jackie owens was a doper too...............
fishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 08:50 PM   #11 (permalink)

WTF? Are you a sour Frenchman?
(sold to a friend)
'07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (4 door!)
Excelsior-Henderson Super X
Rugbyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 08:59 PM   #12 (permalink)
TTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbyduck
WTF? Are you a sour Frenchman?
haha no! I'm just trying to get this debate going and playing devil's advocate. In reality I'd vote maybe and not be surprised if some hard evidence ever came out against him. Do I wish it. NO! He's good for the fight against cancer which to me is the bigger picture. Sometimes a lie is good.
Old 06-29-2006, 09:03 PM   #13 (permalink)
JWA
'09 Exige Sport 260

I don't know anything about it - but I have a related question. I read in an article once that his cancer was believed to have been caused by his admitted use of steroids years earlier. This was in a reputable magazine, though I no longer remember which. Is there any truth to this? The way that they made it sound it was an acknowledged fact and that they just generally didn't mention it. If it is true, and he didn't use anything since, it wouldn't diminish his accomplishments, but it would make you feel less impressed with his stuggle.
JWA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 09:22 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTP
haha no! I'm just trying to get this debate going and playing devil's advocate. In reality I'd vote maybe and not be surprised if some hard evidence ever came out against him. Do I wish it. NO! He's good for the fight against cancer which to me is the bigger picture. Sometimes a lie is good.
Playing devils advocate to the devil.
(sold to a friend)
'07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (4 door!)
Excelsior-Henderson Super X
Rugbyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 10:00 PM   #15 (permalink)

Many cyclists have been accused of using EPO (Erythropoeitin), although I'm not sure how many have been caught (1998 Tour De France).

It's a naturally occuring protein which makes it difficult to detect. Since it stimulates the production of red blood cells it increases the oxygen carrying capacity of anyone using it. EPO is a $8-10 billion per year drug (shared between Amgen and J&J). There is also a huge black market for EPO with more and more counterfeit doses being found. Someone besides anemia patients is obviously using it !!
biobaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 02:58 AM   #16 (permalink)

Yeah but didn't lance just get cleared from the last round of allegations by the French sanctioning body?
Chris
Old 06-30-2006, 03:50 AM   #17 (permalink)

Here's what I think:
There's a chance that Pre-Tour de France-Lance Armstrong used performance enhancing drugs.

I don't think that During-Tour de France/all of his victories, and post-cancer diagnosage and post-tumor removal Lance Armstrong used performance enhancing drugs.

I liked Lance's supporting argument on Larry King live not too long ago: "If I'm fighting cancer and fighting for my life to survive, why would I put my own life at jeopardy by using performance enhancing drugs?"
COLotus2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 03:54 AM   #18 (permalink)
Evl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTP
Before this latest allegation you could have chalked it up to the French media out to get him. Read the article above it's not the French this time.
Actually:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NR Article
The story of the alleged hospital room incident emerged Friday in the French newspaper Le Monde.
Old 06-30-2006, 04:30 AM   #19 (permalink)

The French have targeted Lance for years, because he's consistently kicked Europes a** for years and years, and a cancer survivor at that.

Not a fan of his private life, dumps wife who stood by him for years. Dumps Sheryl Crow around the same time she's dx'd with breast ca. But that's none of my biz.

Chris
Old 06-30-2006, 05:07 AM   #20 (permalink)

Chris, his marriage failed (according to everything I read) because he put cycling first. That was his decision, and he made it. I will not judge him on that. As for Sheryl Crow, when she says a bad word about him, then maybe your statement has some merit. She clearly still adores him, which is all I need to hear to assume he didn't dump her due to her physical issues.
2013 Jeep wrangler
1994 Miata street car
1996 Miata race car, 1991 BMW race car
Surferjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Other