Chevron vs Mobil gas - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2008, 10:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

Chevron vs Mobil gas

I had been using Chevron 91 in the Elise since I bought it in 2006. I started using Chevron when I owned a 2000 Dakota 5.9 RT drag truck and noticed it ran way better on Chevron than anything else. So last month I was really low on gas in the Elise and did not want to risk running out. So I filled up with 91 at a Mobil station. Wow ! Holy crap it is like I did some major mod to the car, it is way way way more peppy , responsive, faster ! I originally wrote it off to the car being quirky , and stuck to my Chevron routine, but decided to give it a go again and filled up with Mobil the past few times. Simply amazing difference, very strange though, I am guessing the Elise does not like all the detergent crap , techron etc Chevron supposedly adds or maybe Chevron is not really 91 and mobil is ? I am sticking with Mobil now as much as I can !
2005 Lotus Elise
2011 VW Touareg - Support vehicle for all of the above
delise is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2008, 11:13 AM   #2 (permalink)

i've noticed the same thing, im not sure but i think that unocal76 has the highest rated 91 octane, so i use that or shell as much as i can help it
FLuXeXigeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 11:30 AM   #3 (permalink)

I have noticed my car clearly runs better (particularly at idle) on Mobil and Exxon. It runs terrible on 76. However, I typically use Chevron, which is a Top Tier gas (better for keeping the engine clean). Of the Top Tier gases, my car runs best on Chevron.
ChrisH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 11:59 AM   #4 (permalink)

Must be the additives that are proprietary to each brand. When I have done work at refineries and terminals I'll see a Shell truck fill at the same rack as Cheveron, Conoco, and Save-O-Mat truck. I believe it is all the same stuff, but with different secret ingredients!
2005 Bordeaux Met #21 (HT, Touring, Quicksilver ext, TRM F1 wheels, Stan Stud, HID lights, BWR S/C,Filled motor mounts, catch can, no camber shims, Tillett saddles)
2004 Audi S4 Sedan (Tip, GAIC Chip, AWE Cat-back, Team Dyanmics Pro 1.2 wheels, H-sport sway bars)
2002 F-350 (Powerstroke, 4x4, Banks power pack, 6th alternator)
Couple nice bicycles, way too many snow skis.
jallingt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 12:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

My original post was removed, it was a bit harsh, but to say you honestly feel an actual difference between two gas brands where the only difference are the types and amount of detergents is really silly
Tracktimeplz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 12:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracktimeplz View Post
My original post was removed, it was a bit harsh, but to say you honestly feel an actual difference between two gas brands where the only difference are the types and amount of detergents is really silly
It could be that Chevron is not really 91 octane, or even has other things added besides detergents..... The difference is night and day or I would not have bothered posting thank you very much. When I am filled up on Mobil my car is WAY faster, not a bit faster, WAY faster off the line and when I punch it while driving along. Idle is much more stable as well for me as it is for Chris H above..... Maybe here in So Cali they add even more crap to Chevron for the pollution standards , it is refined locally at a massive Chevron facility in El Segundo but the difference is very discernable when I punch it..... When I switched back to Chevron for a while to experiment, the car felt sluggish, slow, hesitant, filled up with Mobil again and zoooooooom
2005 Lotus Elise

Last edited by delise; 10-13-2008 at 12:38 PM.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

DEPENDS ON THE STATION.
PUT SHELL GAS IN YOUR LOTUS AND IT'LL LAUNCH TO THE MOON...
Old 10-13-2008, 12:38 PM   #8 (permalink)

brand means little.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by jallingt View Post
Must be the additives that are proprietary to each brand. When I have done work at refineries and terminals I'll see a Shell truck fill at the same rack as Cheveron, Conoco, and Save-O-Mat truck. I believe it is all the same stuff, but with different secret ingredients!
This is correct. They are all the same base fuel. Much more likely to have variation from station to station (rather than brand to brand) depending on how "clean" the fuel in the underground tanks might be. Also, the additive levels matter as well.

2006 Lotus Elise, Aspen White, Touring Pack, Black Pack, Starshield, Larini Exhaust, Fujita Intake, Weekend Fun.
RedWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 12:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARRY View Post
DEPENDS ON THE STATION.
PUT SHELL GAS IN YOUR LOTUS AND IT'LL LAUNCH TO THE MOON...
This is true as well, I filled up at the Chevron on Kanan for a Sunday run a while back and my car sputtered and hesitated the whole trip like the gas was friggin watered down ! The problems went away when I filled up back at home and the Kanan gas had been used...Maybe the few different Mobil stations I have tried have very new or cleaner,higher standard tanks than all of the Chevrons ?

Again for anybody doubting , the difference is plain, very obvious and noticeable so don't know what to say to you ??? You need to come for rides to believe it ? From my experimenting, the car runs way better on Mobil 91 than Chevron 91 so you splain then ???
2005 Lotus Elise

Last edited by delise; 10-13-2008 at 12:59 PM.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:50 PM   #10 (permalink)

So test the octane on both, and open a class action on that chevron if they have been screwing people. Get 5gals of each fuel, get a test car with as empty of a tank as possible. Run the car with each gas, recording results from a knock sensor. If the difference is as big as you say, your car is pulling timing to compensate for the lack of octane.

Im not kidding. Get those scumbags

NOTE** These findings will be enough to get the ball rolling, the law firm you chose to start the suit will set up a more scientific test to take to court.

Last edited by Tracktimeplz; 10-13-2008 at 12:51 PM. Reason: NOTE
Old 10-13-2008, 12:56 PM   #11 (permalink)

Crude Oil Compositional Analysis
Toll Free USA: 1 888 400 0084

This place looks like they would test the gas for you, not sure what it would cost out of pocket, but may be an ideal start for the law firm on the case.

Anyone think I am taking it too far? Every time I see an engine go I wonder about the gas. If a company is ripping people off intentionally, they should fry for it.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:56 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracktimeplz View Post
So test the octane on both, and open a class action on that chevron if they have been screwing people. Get 5gals of each fuel, get a test car with as empty of a tank as possible. Run the car with each gas, recording results from a knock sensor. If the difference is as big as you say, your car is pulling timing to compensate for the lack of octane.
Im not kidding. Get those scumbags
Seriously, I would not discount the idea that some owners or maybe a cali group of owners are selling 89 or 87 as 91 or doing something "creative" to extend their profits, and this would account for my huge performance hits when using Chevron. The Chevron on Kanan for sure had messed with the gas or switched or made a mistake..... will check out that info - thanks ! It would also be interesting to see if the same owner/s ran the Chevrons I hit the most in the West LA area.... If I go missing suddenly you will know why..
2005 Lotus Elise

Last edited by delise; 10-13-2008 at 01:01 PM.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:06 PM   #13 (permalink)

strange, my mini runs far better on chevron than shell, to the point that I was almost certain that shell was overrating their octane.
lttletimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 07:00 PM   #14 (permalink)
My car sneezes

More octane is not always better. Most hp is achieved with the lowest octane without detonating.

Now, playing devilís advocate here, who's to say Chevron is not underrating the octane ratings. Especially since you say your car idles better on Mobil. Lower octane = easier combustion.
gmendoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 07:08 PM   #15 (permalink)

Shell is the only Top Tier gas around here. Sunoco is only Top Tier in Canada.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:12 PM   #16 (permalink)

FYI - Not doubting that gas some station X may be better than station Y.

However, just so everyone knows, gas stations are independently owned, for the most part. ExxonMobil does not own gas stations with their brand names, this business was sold years ago, as they make much more money getting the oil out of the ground.

All local stations get gas from the same local gas terminal. Each gas station with a name brand then blends in an additive package, including detergents, etc., that is specific to the brand. Thus, the gas, if it is labeled correctly, should be essentially the same at most stations

It is possible that a given station or collection of stations are selling 89 as 91, which would of course be illegal and is why other posters are suggesting doing analysis and taking legal action if need be.

One final thought, are you filling at a pump with a single nozzle that is shared for all three grades? If so, if you fill up after someone who filled with 87, is your first bit of gas you are pumping 87 even if you choose 91? I have always wondered this, and do not know. This makes a bigger difference on a car with a small tank, like a Lotus, as a larger fraction of the pumped gas might be lower octane.

Cheers everyone!

2006 Lotus Elise, Aspen White, Touring Pack, Black Pack, Starshield, Larini Exhaust, Fujita Intake, Weekend Fun.
RedWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 07:56 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWing View Post
One final thought, are you filling at a pump with a single nozzle that is shared for all three grades? If so, if you fill up after someone who filled with 87, is your first bit of gas you are pumping 87 even if you choose 91? I have always wondered this, and do not know. This makes a bigger difference on a car with a small tank, like a Lotus, as a larger fraction of the pumped gas might be lower octane.
Yes - actually all of the gas stations I go to here in LA have a multiple source single pump - as in 3 different grades of gas come out through the same nozzle. though I would think only a small amount of "wrong" grade gas would be stuck in the hose or system beween pumps, not enough to drastically effect the performance of my car...... And seriously , I am not bull crapping when I say today coming home from work after filling up this morning on Mobil 91 I had several "holy crap" what the hell is different moments, the car is so much more responsive and faster than running on Chevron that it feels like I added a turbo or super charger ----- freaky - that said I would not be at all surprised to learn that a ring of stations around LA were stocking just 87 octane in all of their tanks and charging people who thought they were pumping 91 for 87....... would not shock me one bit to learn this was going on in LA
2005 Lotus Elise

Last edited by delise; 10-13-2008 at 08:05 PM.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:01 PM   #18 (permalink)

...i design fuel stations (among other facilites) professionally, and i'm uncertain if this is common knowledge, but the industry-standard practice is to keep only two gasoline tanks, one high-octane and one standard octane, which are mixed at the pump to produce regular, plus, and super fuel...

...station management can get in a lot of trouble with state regulators if they're caught violating the margin of error in volume and octane ratings, but there's nothing to stop them from adjusting the mix slightly in their favor if they believe they can get away with it...
Old 10-13-2008, 08:23 PM   #19 (permalink)

^yep a good friend of mine will vouch for what you say...he used to run a costco gas station, im not saying they tampered with the grading of the gas, but it could easily happen since gas delivered is either regular and premium and them mixed makes middle grade gas
Old 10-13-2008, 08:25 PM   #20 (permalink)

easy fix...why not run half a bottle of octane booster at every full tank fill up to equalize fuel octane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Other