Double stick adhesive residue on dashboard - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2009, 10:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Stilling doing God's work

Double stick adhesive residue on dashboard

There is this think extremely sticky adhesive residue from some double stick tape (used for my cd player back in the day) on my other car's dashboard. I have tried everything to get rid of it, nothing work. Still extremely sticky and like baked in. The adhesive, on some parts, looks like a solid piece of soft plastic. The dashboard is plastic too, so I have not tried any harsh chemicals. Anyone know of something I can use that would remove this adhesive residue from my dashboard without damaging it?
comptalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2009, 10:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by comptalk View Post
There is this think extremely sticky adhesive residue from some double stick tape (used for my cd player back in the day) on my other car's dashboard. I have tried everything to get rid of it, nothing work. Still extremely sticky and like baked in. The adhesive, on some parts, looks like a solid piece of soft plastic. The dashboard is plastic too, so I have not tried any harsh chemicals. Anyone know of something I can use that would remove this adhesive residue from my dashboard without damaging it?
Goo Gone is worth a try. It's supposedly safe for plastic. but couldn't hurt to test it on a few other sections first just to be sure.
1974 MGB Roadster
(1991 300ZX 2+2 - RIP girl, you treated me well.
Gizmo3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

Bestine
Randy Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Stilling doing God's work

What store would have either?
comptalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 04:47 AM   #5 (permalink)

I use this:
Electronix Online
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 04:49 AM   #6 (permalink)
BANNED

On the dash, I would use a steamer.
That should do it, but if not my second line of defense would be a product called rapid remover. You'll have to get it at a sign supply store.

Sometimes rubbing alcohol works on adhesive and it usually will not damage the substrate underneath. It's not very agressive and takes some time. perhaps place a sock (or something similar) over the spot soaked in rubbing alcohol. Give it some time to break down the adhesive and see if you have any luck.
SweetDaddyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 05:12 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetDaddyD View Post
On the dash, I would use a steamer.
That should do it, but if not my second line of defense would be a product called rapid remover. You'll have to get it at a sign supply store.

Sometimes rubbing alcohol works on adhesive and it usually will not damage the substrate underneath. It's not very agressive and takes some time. perhaps place a sock (or something similar) over the spot soaked in rubbing alcohol. Give it some time to break down the adhesive and see if you have any luck.
+1 on rubbing alcohol. If you can get it, the 99% isopropyl stuff is best for goo removal (vs. the normal 70%).
2006 Chrome Orange Elise: LSD/TC, Nitron SAs with 425/650 springs, BWR 7/8" ("Hardcore") Front Bar, Eliseparts bumpsteer kit, VF Stage 2, 2bular Header + Sport Cat + 8x24 GT3 Muffler, ECU Tune by Jermaine, Smaay's fuel rail, ACT XT clutch, Saikou Michi dual catch can, Moroso pan, Manly's mount inserts & FF Engine Damper
2000 Black Integra Type R - DD: 231,000 miles!
fpitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Other