Just got pulled over - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2012, 10:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Just got pulled over

Just got pulled over on my way home from work because apparently I was heading East doing 120+. I was heading home like usuall (which is west btw, the loop around our city goes east and west on the section I was on, divided by large medians) and exited to get gas. After im already exited, made the turn around under the overpass, driven through a LARGE parking lot, and come about a block from the shell station he flips his lights on. He was 100% adamant that my car is unmistakable and the exhaust is too unique so it had to be me. I was as honest as I could be about the situation, but demanded that it was neither me nor my car that he clocked. Obvisally it wasn't me as I was driving East the whole way, 15 minutes from my work, and it was 9:20 (I closed up at 9).
I was lucky to talk my way out of it but damn, first time ever pulled over in this thing for speeding and it wasn't even me doing it!
1993 M3 - Sold
2005 Elise - Sold
2013 Veloster Turbo - Daily
tonymaples806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2012, 10:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

Lotus F1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

Officer may have just pulled you over to look at your car and used that as an excuse.

My previous car was a full blown show car and I got pulled over all the time in it.. Most of the time, the officer would bring up a reason that they pulled me over, then say "while you are here, do you mind if I get a few pictures of your car?"
JinsokuBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
Relapsing Honda fan

If he let you off with a warning then yeah, he was just doing some "profiling."
Old 10-15-2012, 06:00 AM   #5 (permalink)

Just tell the officer the truth, that it takes a tail wind and running down hill, or a really, really long straight to get a normally aspirated Elise up to 120.
1974 Europa Twin Cam Special Light Blue
1974 Europa Twin Cam Special #4380R Indigo Blue (my absolute favorite).
1984 Turbo Esprit Calypso Red
2005 Elise Starlight Black
2005 Elise Saffron Yellow
2005 Elise Ardent Red (used as development mule for the LETSLA)
2006 Exige Graphite Grey
2007 Exige S Canyon Red (first customer installation for the production LETSLA)
4380r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:41 AM   #6 (permalink)

And this is one (of the many) reasons why my gopro camera is running any time I go near a major city.
Storm titanium 2005 Elise with carbon fiber spoiler, BWR sway bar, BOE toe links, gPan2, LidBone, sector 111 wheel studs, Grey RAC Monolite wheels with toyo R1R, Team Dynamics 1.4 with Hoosier A6/R6s, Katana2 Supercharger, ECU with 265 flash. PPE headers w/decat, CEL angle eliminator, Silent touch catback, Rear Panel Eliminator, HKS intake, V2 fuel tank, Walbro255 fuel pump. HID lights.
addertooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:50 AM   #7 (permalink)

Normally I would agree with the profiling or that he was just interested in checking the car out excuse. Ive been pulled over by highway patrol that was just interested in the car, but last night this guy was honestly looking for a car that he thought was mine. His attitude and posture gave that away quickly. Even after I had made it known that it was in no way me and I wouldn't go down easily he says "well honestly I think your lying, regardless, if it was you please please slow down"
1993 M3 - Sold
2005 Elise - Sold
Old 10-15-2012, 08:11 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by addertooth View Post
And this is one (of the many) reasons why my gopro camera is running any time I go near a major city.
As if this could not happen elsewhere.
2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl
2005 Subaru Legacy GT Limited, Regal Blue Pearl
http://www.mnautox.com
philethier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:51 AM   #9 (permalink)

You got lucky! I was driving down the freeway a few years ago and was pulled over in an air patrol sting (along with about 20 others). I was doing 65 on the dot. He said the plane told him to pull over "a white car doing 80 next to the green chevy truck". He even admitted that I was only doing 65 but was the closest white car to the green truck. The judge upheld the offense even though the officer stated that I was not speeding. This police state bs here in Cali SUCKS!

Director of the GGLC-Sacramento Chapter
sturgeongeneral is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:54 AM   #10 (permalink)

120 mph!!! You should have said "sir, I do not think Felix Baumgartner could pull that off even if he jumped off inside of a Lotus from up there!"

We just look fast
mcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:10 AM   #11 (permalink)

In high school I had a bright yellow IROC which, at the time, I thought was pretty cool. Anyway, I was driving through a small town and turned left at a traffic light and was pulled over about a mile down the road. First words out of the officers mouth were, a bit sarcastically, "Nice Ride" after which he wrote be a reckless driving ticket. As I honestly didn't do anything and had a witness (friend from class) I went to court. The officer came in with this long detailed story about how he and the priest from the church on the corner were discussing "spring break like traffic" and how he later observed my spin a 180 in the middle of the intersection leaving big black marks in the road then speeding off...all I could say was "I didn't do that, I simply made a left hand turn." I didn't stand a chance.

I later found out that this officer was nicknamed "Super Cop" but the locals.

When reading your description I thought yours was going to go the same way, glad you got out of it!
DealsGapCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:44 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcoupe View Post
120 mph!!! You should have said "sir, I do not think Felix Baumgartner could pull that off even if he jumped off inside of a Lotus from up there!"

We just look fast
you made me choke on my lunch just now, that's hilarious.

And yes, I do find myself lucky. If he wanted to he could have given me a ticket for not using a blinker, my window tint, or my exhaust, so I was happy to get out of there unscathed
1993 M3 - Sold
2005 Elise - Sold
Old 10-15-2012, 11:44 AM   #13 (permalink)
I Have Commitment Issues

i got pulled over on a twisty back road doing 55 in a 25. It was a young rookie thinking he was going to make an example of the dick head in the GT3 (me). I have an out of state plate and license so that was the first offense second was the speeding. He took my info, came back 15mins later and said im going to give a ticket for both, it will arrive in the mail. He said you have 15 days to get your license changed. I said fine but what if i have 2 houses and travel back and forth for 2 weeks at a time? he said ask the judge. I then asked him how he clocked me radar, laser or VASCar? He then answered with I used a stop watch. I gave him a blank look and asked him what do you mean a stop watch? He then quickly changed his answer to I used a "certified" stop watch. At this point I couldnt hold it in any longer and just lauged at him and said I'll see you in court.

I have yet to receive the 2 tickets in the mail. Its been 2+ months.

Last edited by Lowtush; 10-15-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Lowtush is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:56 AM   #14 (permalink)
Registered Voter

Tony, be glad he didn't notice your front license plate on the dash. I was pulled over last month for that very thing, but the guy was nice enough to leave it at a written warning. As awful as it looks, my plate now sits on the plinthe. Ironically, the vehicle safety inspections approved the car 2 years in a row with the plate behind the windshield! That's one more reason TX needs to terminate these antiquated inspections.

BTW, I passed you on Milwaukee last week on my Triumph. Nice color choice!
+TSRAGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:58 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by +TSRAGR View Post
Tony, be glad he didn't notice your front license plate on the dash. I was pulled over last month for that very thing, but the guy was nice enough to leave it at a written warning. As awful as it looks, my plate now sits on the plinthe. Ironically, the vehicle safety inspections approved the car 2 years in a row with the plate behind the windshield! That's one more reason TX needs to terminate these antiquated inspections.

BTW, I passed you on Milwaukee last week on my Triumph. Nice color choice!
I appreciate it! I still have alot of odds and ends to work out, but its coming together
The reason it can pass inspection is on Txdots website it states "license plate must be displayed in the front of the vehicle, placement is not designated"
I've been pulled over several times for it, but never a ticket. Really, last time a hipo pulled me over for it, I was sitting in his patrol car because he wanted to talk about my car and he said "wow, you've been pulled over quite a few times for this haven't you??" and I of course agreed, and told him about what it says on txdot, and he basically said ita up to the desecration of the officer if they ticket you or not.

On another not, we should meet up and run through the canyons in Slaton one day...its supposed to be 75 on Tuesday!
1993 M3 - Sold
2005 Elise - Sold
Old 11-18-2012, 07:34 PM   #16 (permalink)

The car has been out for 8 years now, they are not gonna say "I think you were doing 120" just to check out the car.

THE OBITS, YO!
KEEP CRYIN! WHAA!
REDNECK = PERSON WHO LIVES IN A DUMP BUT DRIVES AN ELISE!

I never played by the rules, and I never really cared
My nasty reputation takes me everywhere

It is admitted by all that he was much addicted to women, as well as very expensive in his intrigues with them, and that he debauched many ladies of the highest quality; among whom were Posthumia, the wife of Servius Sulpicius; and Lollia, the wife of Aulus Gabinius.
evomind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:05 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by evomind View Post
The car has been out for 8 years now, they are not gonna say "I think you were doing 120" just to check out the car.
In this Podunk cotton town I'd beg the differ.
1993 M3 - Sold
2005 Elise - Sold
Old 11-20-2012, 08:52 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymaples806 View Post
...I've been pulled over several times for it, but never a ticket. On another not, we should meet up and run through the canyons in Slaton one day...its supposed to be 75 on Tuesday!
The inconsistency between the TX DMV and LEOs is what is so annoying. You're right, the DMV doesn't define a front plate placement, but some LEOs enforce the nose of the car. I just decided to give them one less reason to pull me over and mounted the plate using the no-drill, heavy velcro solution.

Speaking of canyon roads, the ones around Slaton aren't bad, but if you want sharper elevation and more twisties (and don't mind a 2 hr drive), you should definitely check out 256 north of CCSP. There are about a dozen more twisty roads within 40 miles of there and most are pretty deserted. Bonus, the landscape is superb!
Attached Images

+TSRAGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:38 AM   #19 (permalink)

This is why I leave my ChaseCam on antime the car is on. Often I leave it on when I park the car away from home so I can see what bizarre things my car gets to see while I am away (Orthodox Jewish men in their 50s+ posing gangster style to take cell phone pictures in a rainstorm at 7-11, etc.). I even save all of the police encounters as they are often amusing.
Officer:"License and registration."
Me:"Hereyou go; would you mind telling me what you pulled me over for?"
Officer:"Anything I want, especially with your smart mouth."
Me:"Just so you know, you are being recorded and I cannot turn off the system." *points to camera and mic*
Officer: *peeks inside, scowls, hands back papers silently, and leaves in a hurry*
silicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:19 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by +TSRAGR View Post
The inconsistency between the TX DMV and LEOs is what is so annoying. You're right, the DMV doesn't define a front plate placement, but some LEOs enforce the nose of the car. I just decided to give them one less reason to pull me over and mounted the plate using the no-drill, heavy velcro solution.

Speaking of canyon roads, the ones around Slaton aren't bad, but if you want sharper elevation and more twisties (and don't mind a 2 hr drive), you should definitely check out 256 north of CCSP. There are about a dozen more twisty roads within 40 miles of there and most are pretty deserted. Bonus, the landscape is superb!
I've driven in that area several times! Im an avid outdoorsman and love spending weekends in the canyon, it is beautiful!
1993 M3 - Sold
2005 Elise - Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Other