Looking for a cheap place to get my car painted. - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2004, 04:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Looking for a cheap place to get my car painted.

I want to get my daily driver resprayed - nothing special, just some new paint to make it shiney again.

What's a good, cheap place to get such a thing done? I'm not too terribly concerned with quality, I mean, the thing's almost 100 years old (well, 18 anyway) - I just want it purty again.
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2004, 04:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

Mexico
Old 02-02-2004, 04:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

Seriously, I'm taking my FIAT to be sprayed in Playas de Tijuana...there are some really great shops there at 1/3 of the cost. Full prime and spray with red paint (most expensive color you can buy) I was quoted about $800.
Old 02-02-2004, 08:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
insert clever title here

I've heard that one way a paint job becomes 'cheap' is when they cut corners on prep work. You might want to consider doing much of that yourself - it won't affect the cost of the paint job probably, but you might get a better quality finish.

Hmm, to answer your question - you could always try Maaco I suppose. Or find a small independant shop somewhere and try to work out a deal with them, especially if you're willing to do much of the prep work.

Might also want to go for a color that might be more durable and show defects less. White is a good example, black would be one of the worst to have done cheaply.
Old 02-03-2004, 12:21 AM   #5 (permalink)

Uh oh! Better get MAACO!

Chris
zvezdah1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 09:08 AM   #6 (permalink)

Matt is right. The only problem is, if you do the prep work, you will not find a place to guarantee the paint job. So saving yourself some money might be more costly in the end if it starts to blister because you didnt prep the surface properly.

I'm going that route...doing all the prep work myself. After checking countless shops, even though I'm doing the prep work, having a "decent" shop spray it was anywhere from $1200 to $3000. When I mean decent shop, I mean a place that is clean, limits dust accumulation by keeping work areas vacuumed, has an up-to-date spray booth, has a lot of high-end cars or custom cars in the lot, stores cars in doors when working on them, etc. etc. A good shop. I also looked at the finished and in progress cars of every shop I went to.

In the end, I have decided to do it in Mexico because (a) the paints they use are cheaper and easier to spray because they dont require all that stupid eco B.S., and (b) the quality of some of these shops is just as good as most of the shops I saw in SD that were charging $2000, and they were charging more than half that.

If you are really interested in doing your own prep, I can give you some tips. I have attached a picture of my fiat in progress. Now I've got primer on most of it, and I'll be wet sanding it in a few weeks.
Attached Images

Old 02-03-2004, 09:14 AM   #7 (permalink)

Brian,

Almost forgot...being in LA, you will probably find cheaper places to spray your car than San Diego. Unfortunetly, the only places I know in LA are really really high end, but I could try and make some phonecalls for ya...might be useful to me in the future anyway.
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Other