Penalty for driving with expired tags? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2009, 09:52 AM   #1 (permalink)

Penalty for driving with expired tags?

My tags expired about 3 months ago but I haven't done anything about it because I have out of state plates and I think its good luck . I went from getting pulled over all the time in Chicago to not having been pulled over at all here in Orlando. So when it eventually does happen whats the penalty? Im fine with tickets that aren't crazy high. The only thing I have updated is my insurance and my license ( I only did that because I know how to get a clean driving record when I switch).
ItsThaMonsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2009, 09:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

Garage
Not sure about Florida, but I believe they can impound your car here in Kalifornia if you go too long.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:31 AM   #3 (permalink)

Yep. In California, impounded. It might be the same everywhere.
Murix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:34 AM   #4 (permalink)

2012 Radical SR3RS
apk919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:39 AM   #5 (permalink)

Depending on the cop and circumstances the car will be impounded (most likely) here in MD.

and

"Comfort is for kids. I would want to make my passengers weep in fear" - Agent One
serpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:42 AM   #6 (permalink)

Impounded in VA .
RoadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:43 AM   #7 (permalink)

Awwwwwww .... Damn. OK Ill update my plates but keep the new legal one in the trunk and if I get pulled over Ill just say that I forgot to put it on and just show it to them ..... seriously though. I keep the extra plate at home just in case they take the one off my car. I might just give them the one at home that has no sticker on it at all. This makes me nervous now. It has been TONS of times here in Orlando where cops have been directly behind me... even at lights and I guess they just havent run my plates.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:51 AM   #8 (permalink)

In California, it's California Vehicle Code 4000(a), basically expired registration - a nonmover, just take care of it. However, if it's expired over six months, the vehicle is subject to tow/impound.
good2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:09 AM   #9 (permalink)

Garage
So, you think driving around with expired out-of-state plates is good luck because you haven't been pulled over yet?
2014 Lotus Evora S IPS
Allan Gibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:11 AM   #10 (permalink)

if not impounded, the fine is $105 in MD.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:12 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Gibbs View Post
So, you think driving around with expired out-of-state plates is good luck because you haven't been pulled over yet?
Sounds pretty freaking lucky to me.
RoadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:18 AM   #12 (permalink)

Impounded then crushed here in the UK
chapster5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:29 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Gibbs View Post
Not really the "expired" part but I think you just get hassled less with out of state plates. Whether they think its a rental or for whatever other reason. Of course there is no evidence either way and it could just be that Orlando is more hassle-free than Chicago but I for whatever reason I don't care because its much more fun not getting pulled over. Seriously, with cops behind directly behind me around 10 times and not getting the lights once, I consider that lucky. But with all the impound talk I guess I should go ahead and take care of this. It would be funny (actually it wouldn't) if I started to get pulled over regularly after I switch.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:56 AM   #14 (permalink)

I drove around CT with no registration for over a year in my MINI. When I got pulled over for doing 85 in a 55, the cop told me he could have had my car impounded but instead told me to drive straight home and go to the DMV first thing the next day.

You should have seen his face when I replied to him "What's a registration?" I honestly didn't know and thought the MINI dealer sorted it out for me...
buzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:01 AM   #15 (permalink)

Besides the possibility of the car getting impounded (depending on the state), and paying a fine, they are most likely going to charge you the full price for the registration, plus any amounts for any "back time", plus interest and penalties.

WHEN you get stopped for it (not if), you are going to pay the whole amount (and more) anyway, so pay it now, and you don't have to worry about getting stopped for expired registrations...

I love being married. It's so great to find that one person that you want to annoy for the rest of your life. - Rita Rudner

Chantilly, VA http://members.cox.net/elans4/
05 Lotus Elise - Chrome Orange - No Touring - No LSS - No Hardtop - Lotus Driving Lights - Lotus "Chin Guards" - plain and simple.
94 Miata R Package - Black
72 Lotus Elan Sprint - Colorado Orange/Cirrus White
TimMullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 12:37 PM   #16 (permalink)

Towed in CT. They towed my wife's car years ago before we met, leaving her stranded in the middle of nowhere. And yes, it was a guy cop, and my wife was a cute 20 year old college student. If she didn’t get favoritism for her situation, as an ugly punk I would have certainly been beaten and left in a ditch.
dma550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 02:18 PM   #17 (permalink)

$75.00 fine in IL. The cost of re-registration goes up the longer the plates remain out of date though.
Rydiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 02:28 PM   #18 (permalink)

found this on google

As we mentioned, Florida Statute 320.07 speaks of expiration of registration for vehicles in FL. Here it states that a vehicle shall not be operated on the roads of this state after expiration of the renewal period unless the registration has been renewed according to law.

The FL law goes on to say that any person whose motor vehicle registration has been expired for a period of 6 months or less commits a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a non-moving violation. Any person whose motor vehicle registration has been expired for more than 6 months shall upon a first offense be subject to the penalties such as paying a civil penalty and delinquent fee, if applicable, either by mail or in person, within 30 days after the date of issuance of the citation.

So it will depend upon how long your tags had been expired as to what your penalties will be. If they were expired less than 6 months you should be facing just a traffic infraction which appears to come with a fine. If however you have not renewed your vehicle's registration for over 6 months than you will be facing harsher penalties.

We have read that the fine for a tag expired less than 6 months is around $100 and that a tag expired 6 months or more can come with jail time up to 60 days and/or fine of up to $500.From fine schedules we have seen from around Florida the fine amount for 6 months or more tends to be around $150 to $200.
xxxotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:47 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxotic View Post
As we mentioned, Florida Statute 320.07 speaks of expiration of registration for vehicles in FL. Here it states that a vehicle shall not be operated on the roads of this state after expiration of the renewal period unless the registration has been renewed according to law.

The FL law goes on to say that any person whose motor vehicle registration has been expired for a period of 6 months or less commits a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a non-moving violation. Any person whose motor vehicle registration has been expired for more than 6 months shall upon a first offense be subject to the penalties such as paying a civil penalty and delinquent fee, if applicable, either by mail or in person, within 30 days after the date of issuance of the citation.

So it will depend upon how long your tags had been expired as to what your penalties will be. If they were expired less than 6 months you should be facing just a traffic infraction which appears to come with a fine. If however you have not renewed your vehicle's registration for over 6 months than you will be facing harsher penalties.

We have read that the fine for a tag expired less than 6 months is around $100 and that a tag expired 6 months or more can come with jail time up to 60 days and/or fine of up to $500.From fine schedules we have seen from around Florida the fine amount for 6 months or more tends to be around $150 to $200.
Im only on 3 months so Im good for another 3 lol. Had a couple cops at different times tonight get right behind me again. I like my out of state plates. Or I could just be really lucky. Either way works.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:52 PM   #20 (permalink)

I find that having no plates cuts down on stops.
My theory is that they figure you have plates or are a big paperwork mess.
I do keep up to date plates under the seat.

Left the out of state out of date plates on the hot ford.
Lots of stops.
None for plates.

"Oh, and take care of your plates."
No tickets.
Lancia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Other