17x9 wheels options ? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 09:32 AM   #1 (permalink)

17x9 wheels options ?

Guys,

I bought 15" wheels for the front and now I'm shopping for rear wheels. I mainly do AutoX.

I know it is possible to buy Ethos wheels buy I found some Rota Grid wheels that have 20mm offset and correct bolt pattern. Anyone knows if they are going to fit ?

Are there any options for 17x9 wheels ?

I have an Elise with stock suspension and don't mind a little rubbing as long as it does not rub on the fiberglass.
Noxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 11:50 AM   #2 (permalink)

Black Watch racing have some wider choices. Check out their website. blackwatchracing.com
Storm titanium 2005 Elise with carbon fiber spoiler, BWR sway bar, BOE toe links, gPan2, LidBone, sector 111 wheel studs, Grey RAC Monolite wheels with toyo R1R, Team Dynamics 1.4 with Hoosier A6/R6s, Katana2 Supercharger, ECU with 265 flash. PPE headers w/decat, CEL angle eliminator, Silent touch catback, Rear Panel Eliminator, HKS intake, V2 fuel tank, Walbro255 fuel pump. HID lights.
addertooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Toys Performance

BWR has a custom set just for the Elise. They are the widest you can fit and the offsets are correct.
Fast Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

these might work XXR 527

I know you can also order team dynamics in 17x9
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbU0UJAdFj8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQOnOXXc-ps&
A must watch! Lotus Elise Inside Story
mattjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elise Guru

We have team dynamics available in 17x9 or the custom 3 piece Bogart wheels in 17x9. Check it out on our site at blackwatchracing.com

Lotus Performance Parts and Accessories

Blackwatch Racing
fzust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
*?*

Garage
I just ordered the 15x7 and 17x8 Team Dynamics from BWR.... I did not find a 17x9 TD option on the website. I really considered the Bogart wheels for the 15x8 and 17x9 setup but I would probably not take advantage of the extra tire size capability.
'06 Arctic Silver Elise | Touring |Traction Control |Supercharged | ST exhaust | Nitron singles | BWR anti-sway bar | RTD brace | V2 Arms | SS brake lines | Harness bar and Schroth harnesses | sys.6.pack |shifter reinforced | Ultralite lines | cup air box | Sport inserts | DBW Pedals | TALLrails | Team Dynamics 1.2's | TOC Oil Pan | ProRad | FW Torque tune | BOE surge tank and catch can | Radium Clam Kit
jefrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:23 AM   #7 (permalink)

I ordered17x9 +30 via Seriously Lotus (UK). Running 245/40/17 tyres on an S2 Exige. Have a little bit of poke, hoping to dial in abit of a camber to have it site tucked under or flush so perhaps a 17x8.5 +30 would be better??
.::F[L]Y::. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:22 AM   #8 (permalink)
*?*

Garage
You know, a 245/40/17 will fit on an 8" wheel too. I wondered about this.... it seems like if you are going to try 255 or bigger width, the 9" wheel is needed. It might spread the tire a little better on a 245 but would there be that much difference? I am sure each tire has it's optimum wheel, but it was never clear to me.
'06 Arctic Silver Elise | Touring |Traction Control |Supercharged | ST exhaust | Nitron singles | BWR anti-sway bar | RTD brace | V2 Arms | SS brake lines | Harness bar and Schroth harnesses | sys.6.pack |shifter reinforced | Ultralite lines | cup air box | Sport inserts | DBW Pedals | TALLrails | Team Dynamics 1.2's | TOC Oil Pan | ProRad | FW Torque tune | BOE surge tank and catch can | Radium Clam Kit
Old 01-13-2013, 06:06 AM   #9 (permalink)
Elise Guru

lt the limit the 17x9 will benefit the 245 or larger tire. It stands the tire up straighter and gets more of the contact patch to the ground. I think you'll enjoy the setup you have and if you want to try something different keep an eye open this spring..... Thanks for choosing Blackwatch Racing!

Blackwatch Racing
Old 01-13-2013, 10:46 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefrac View Post
I did not find a 17x9 TD option on the website.
Neither did I. My question would be will the wider tire ever get enough heat in it to be beneficial?

San
oldmansan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:29 AM   #11 (permalink)
Elise Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmansan View Post
Neither did I. My question would be will the wider tire ever get enough heat in it to be beneficial?

San
Oh yes, wider is better! Our XP Lotus only runs autox(so limited heat input) and we run 13" wide slicks in the back to great effect. Think 335s! Every time we've put wider tires on these cars they have made more grip. The "too wide for the car" argument is a fallacy unless you plan to run extremely hard tires, in which I would suggest running softer first.

A few pics. 1st is the rear of the XP car a few years ago with 12" wide rear tires. Next are a couple of the street car with 225 front and 255 rears on 8.5" front and 9" Rear Bogarts.
Attached Images

Blackwatch Racing
Old 01-14-2013, 10:58 AM   #12 (permalink)

The TMRs are the lightest and strongest.
Just not the cheapest.
holmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:30 PM   #13 (permalink)
*?*

Garage
Oh, I WILL enjoy this set of wheels! The plan is to run some RS-3's on them for the street and wet track or autocross. I already have a set just like them that have some Nittos that I am trying to wear out as fast as I can. When they are done, those wheels get slicks. My stock wheels are going to the shed. My hitch is installed and I am working on the trailer.....mmmMMMmmmm... slicks.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:44 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefrac View Post
Oh, I WILL enjoy this set of wheels! The plan is to run some RS-3's on them for the street and wet track or autocross. I already have a set just like them that have some Nittos that I am trying to wear out as fast as I can. When they are done, those wheels get slicks. My stock wheels are going to the shed. My hitch is installed and I am working on the trailer.....mmmMMMmmmm... slicks.
WTF?
I have never heard of anyone successfully having larger wet tires, and larger rims. Usually they go smaller, on the standard rim.

With that logic, then for the street and wet maybe just through some decent skinnier tires on the stock wheels?
Old 01-14-2013, 09:03 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmz View Post
The TMRs are the lightest and strongest.
Just not the cheapest.
Lightest and strongest rarely go together. I like the weight of the TMRs, but the looks are not their strong point.

San
Old 01-14-2013, 09:13 PM   #16 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fzust View Post
We have team dynamics available in 17x9 or the custom 3 piece Bogart wheels in 17x9. Check it out on our site at blackwatchracing.com
What am I doing wrong? I don't see 17x9 on that website....

A man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions.
[Oliver Wendell Holmes]
<@@> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:43 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by <@@> View Post
What am I doing wrong? I don't see 17x9 on that website....
You're doing nothing wrong, I don't see those sizes listed.

Blackwatch, you'll sell more products if your customer can see what you have to offer. This is coming from a customer who bought his current TD forged wheels from you.

San
Old 01-15-2013, 03:18 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmansan View Post
Lightest and strongest rarely go together. I like the weight of the TMRs, but the looks are not their strong point.

San
A good forged rim will always be stronger and often lighter.
The Volks are also in the strong and light department.
The cast Rotas are a good example of heavy and weak.

Well I like the way they look, and they feel good too.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:47 AM   #19 (permalink)
*?*

Garage
[QUOTE=holmz;1836775]WTF?
I have never heard of anyone successfully having larger wet tires, and larger rims. Usually they go smaller, on the standard rim.

WTF? Well, I am not really trying to optimize wet traction....just putting the tires on that I want to run for the street, and possibly track. If I show up at an autocross or track day and we get a shower, then the Hoosiers would stay on the trailer. At least the RS-3's would have a little tread. I am sure there are many better tires and sizes out there for wet racing. Since this is all for fun, if there is an actual rain forecast, I may not even be there, but thanks for the suggestion.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:52 AM   #20 (permalink)
DBG

Quote:
Originally Posted by fzust View Post
Oh yes, wider is better! Our XP Lotus only runs autox(so limited heat input) and we run 13" wide slicks in the back to great effect. Think 335s! Every time we've put wider tires on these cars they have made more grip. The "too wide for the car" argument is a fallacy unless you plan to run extremely hard tires, in which I would suggest running softer first.

A few pics. 1st is the rear of the XP car a few years ago with 12" wide rear tires. Next are a couple of the street car with 225 front and 255 rears on 8.5" front and 9" Rear Bogarts.
Could I ask what the offset on the 17x9 rear is please? I am trying to work out the correct offset to fit 17x9s onto my Rover Elise.

Thank you
Ben
DBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Suspension (including wheels, tires, brakes)