Finally settled on a new wheel/tire combo... - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

87Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 98 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

Finally settled on a new wheel/tire combo...

I've been wanting to get another set of wheels and tires for photography, and finally settled on a set of XXR's. Yes, they're quite a bit heavier than my other combo's, but they look fantastic on the car (IMO), and will work perfectly for what I need them for.

A big thank you to Kwyk (Simon's Exige), 275 Turbo (Riley), Auselise (Evan), Gregory Puls, and Justin Manco for all the help/advice.

Wheel Specs: XXR 527, 17 x 8.25 +25 F&R
Tire Specs: Yokohama Advan AD08R 215/40/17 & 235/40/17

A new suspension is next, and a little bit more front negative camber, as I'm rubbing ever so slightly at -1.5.

First couple of shots, many more to come!

by Andrew Thompson, on Flickr

Rated X. (Explore)

2006 Exige

Last edited by VisualEchos; 06-24-2016 at 05:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 98 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

A little comparison for those that may want this set-up in the future.

Front:
240 Cup wheel / ADVAN A005 - 16 x 7 • 190/580/16 = 27.3 lbs
LSS wheel / TOYO R888 - 16 x 6.5 • 195/50/16 = 32.8 lbs
XXR 527 / ADVAN AD08R - 17 x 8.25 • 215/40/17 = 40.8 lbs

Rear:
240 Cup wheel / ADVAN A005 - 17 x 8 • 230/625/17 = 33.7 lbs
LSS wheel / TOYO R888 - 17 x 7.5 • 235/40/17 = 39.5 lbs
XXR 527 / ADVAN AD08R - 17 x 8.25 • 235/40/17 = 44.5

Most people aren't going to run something as light as the 240R wheel and A005, so you can use the LSS + R888 combo as a good benchmark of a lightweight wheel/tire set. As you can see, the XXR's are 5 lbs per corner heavier in the rear, and 8 lbs per corner heavier in the front. I went with the 17" front because I like the way they look better in black, so I added more weight there than you will if you go with the 16 x 8 & 205/45/16 front sizes. Consider the 16/17 XXR's as 5 lbs per corner heavier.

I didn't notice any driving differences, but I drive on them pretty slow because of how low it is in front, and again, it's just for photography.

Also, I rub just a bit in front with -1.5 camber, and I'm dropped .75", so if you get my exact set-up you'll need to have more camber than that. I plan to remove a shim from each side soon, which should give me enough clearance. Simon (KWYK) runs -2 front camber and has no rubbing issues.

A shot from yesterday.

Things Remembered.
shay2nak, DBG, jumpman1975 and 2 others like this.

2006 Exige

Last edited by VisualEchos; 06-22-2016 at 04:37 AM.
post #3 of 98 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 02:27 AM
DBG

Look good mate.

Out of interest, given you opted for a reasonably low offset on the rear (for aesthetics and to fill the guards I assume), why not get a wider wheel and offset to match? Given the low offset you'd be able to fit at least a 17x9 on the rear which also helps make it look nice and fat from the rear angle (not just the side). Just a question although the answer may be that they were the specs the wheels were available in!
VisualEchos likes this.

Canberra, Australia.
2003 Lotus Elise Sport 111
Previous - 2005 Lotus Elise 111R

post #4 of 98 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBG View Post
Look good mate.

Out of interest, given you opted for a reasonably low offset on the rear (for aesthetics and to fill the guards I assume), why not get a wider wheel and offset to match? Given the low offset you'd be able to fit at least a 17x9 on the rear which also helps make it look nice and fat from the rear angle (not just the side). Just a question although the answer may be that they were the specs the wheels were available in!
You are correct on all counts.
DBG likes this.

2006 Exige
post #5 of 98 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 09:36 AM

VisualEchos, love looking the photography you've posted throughout the years. Don't think I've ever addressed you directly... but just wanted to say that the XXR 527 are some of the best looking wheels out there. I was contemplating getting a set for my BRZ as they look absolutely sick on that platform. (And they look just as good on the Eliges, too, apparently!) I just wish they came in 17's with a good offset AND didn't weigh so much.

But man do they look awesome!
SCamper and VisualEchos like this.

2006 LOTUS EXIGE (ASPEN WHITE) Honda K24A2 + MPx90 supercharger. 322whp/271lb-ft @13psi. Build thread here.
1992 ACURA NSX (BERLINA BLACK) Quintessential 90's supercar.
2007 SUZUKI SV650 Track bike.
post #6 of 98 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
VisualEchos, love looking the photography you've posted throughout the years. Don't think I've ever addressed you directly... but just wanted to say that the XXR 527 are some of the best looking wheels out there. I was contemplating getting a set for my BRZ as they look absolutely sick on that platform. (And they look just as good on the Eliges, too, apparently!) I just wish they came in 17's with a good offset AND didn't weigh so much.

But man do they look awesome!
Thanks for the kind words man, much appreciation. I struggled with the weight thing, but really, for what I'm using them for, it's not that big of a deal. Besides, I still have my Cup/A005 & LSS/R888 sets. One of them will soon be sold though, just not sure which.

The Golden Rule.

The Hills Have Eyes.

2006 Exige
post #7 of 98 (permalink) Old 06-23-2016, 06:31 PM
The Enforcer

I think they look great. I like the symmetry and the concave shape.

One thing I'd think about is a wider side scoop (Reverie would be/was my choice).

San

#8 Metric Allen Key, Plastic Carpet Buttons
post #8 of 98 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEchos View Post
Thanks for the kind words man, much appreciation. I struggled with the weight thing, but really, for what I'm using them for, it's not that big of a deal. Besides, I still have my Cup/A005 & LSS/R888 sets. One of them will soon be sold though, just not sure which.

The Golden Rule.

The Hills Have Eyes.

Great pics, great wheels. Does the heavier combo translate in the steering?
If they offered these in contrast cut black, I would pull the trigger in a heartbeat.
post #9 of 98 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyne View Post
Great pics, great wheels. Does the heavier combo translate in the steering?
Not that I can tell, but again, I haven't driven the car hard with this combo yet (and don't really intend to), but I'll take it out for some spirited driving soon, just have to remove the shims up front to get a little more negative camber so I don't rub. Because my car is .75" lower in the front, and I have -1.5 camber, I think my car steers so much better that most anyway, so I don't really anticipate a problem with it, but we'll see.

If I was only allowed 1 set of wheels/tires I'd keep the Cup wheels, they're so easy to clean, and look fantastic on the car.

2006 Exige
post #10 of 98 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Another "normal" shot of the new XXR's before I get all artsy, at which point you won't be able to tell what kind of wheels they are. Thanks again Simon!

VEP_6131
shay2nak, DBG and 275 Turbo like this.

2006 Exige
post #11 of 98 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Really loving this combo!

To the Batcave, Robin.
shay2nak, Coyne, 275 Turbo and 1 others like this.

2006 Exige
post #12 of 98 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Really loving this combo!

To the Batcave, Robin.

I really like the offset. Are you rubbing at all with spirited driving?
post #13 of 98 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Not that I can tell, but again, I haven't driven the car hard with this combo yet (and don't really intend to), but I'll take it out for some spirited driving soon, just have to remove the shims up front to get a little more negative camber so I don't rub. Because my car is .75" lower in the front, and I have -1.5 camber, I think my car steers so much better that most anyway, so I don't really anticipate a problem with it, but we'll see.

If I was only allowed 1 set of wheels/tires I'd keep the Cup wheels, they're so easy to clean, and look fantastic on the car.
You and I have the same taste. My favorite wheels are the Cup ones. I have a set in black though. My spare set is the ultralights that came with the new Elise Cup R. They look similar to your current XXR wheels. Have you considered these wheels since you struggled with the weight of your current ones? Btw, beautiful pics as usual.
post #14 of 98 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 06:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I really like the offset. Are you rubbing at all with spirited driving?
Yeah, it's still rubbing up front, it's probably going to take -2 up front to relieve it. I suppose I'll be getting the V2 steering arms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb26dett View Post
You and I have the same taste. My favorite wheels are the Cup ones. I have a set in black though. My spare set is the ultralights that came with the new Elise Cup R. They look similar to your current XXR wheels. Have you considered these wheels since you struggled with the weight of your current ones? Btw, beautiful pics as usual.
I looked at those wheels for sure, but quickly decided against them because they're 16" in front, stock offsets, and impossibly expensive. The XXR's were $509 shipped, pretty far cry from $3,099 + shipping. I already have a few sets of very expensive wheels, so I'm afraid the wife would kill me over those haha. Thanks for the compliments.

2006 Exige
post #15 of 98 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Yeah, it's still rubbing up front, it's probably going to take -2 up front to relieve it. I suppose I'll be getting the V2 steering arms.

I looked at those wheels for sure, but quickly decided against them because they're 16" in front, stock offsets, and impossibly expensive. The XXR's were $509 shipped, pretty far cry from $3,099 + shipping. I already have a few sets of very expensive wheels, so I'm afraid the wife would kill me over those haha. Thanks for the compliments.
Haha. I totally understand. My wife is always asking, "when are you going to be done with the car?" Little does she know our cars will never be "done"
VisualEchos likes this.
post #16 of 98 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Haha. I totally understand. My wife is always asking, "when are you going to be done with the car?" Little does she know our cars will never be "done"

My wife asked this jokingly, and I said "when I die." Deadpan with no expression. It's nice because she really appreciates my love of cars.
@VisualEchos , thanks for saying the price. I was curious. Will changing the camber screw up the new setup? I just don't want it to look like a "Stanced" mishap when I do mine.
VisualEchos likes this.
post #17 of 98 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 10:37 AM

Finally settled on a new wheel/tire combo...

Quote:

Do you have a pic of the Cup R ultralights you are talking about?

This is seriously the best wheel/ tire combo I have seen on these cars. This and the Kodiak racing wheels which I hear are heavy and not necessarily built well.
post #18 of 98 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Do you have a pic of the Cup R ultralights you are talking about?

This is seriously the best wheel/ tire combo I have seen on these cars. This and the Kodiak racing wheels which I hear are heavy and not necessarily built well.
I'm embarrassed to say that I don't know how to post pics through my phone.
post #19 of 98 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 11:29 AM

Quote:
I'm embarrassed to say that I don't know how to post pics through my phone.

When you type a comment or reply, there are three icons above the keyboard. The one that looks like mountains with a sun is how you upload a picture.
post #20 of 98 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 11:33 AM

So they look similar but are more convex. I like how VE has the concave design. Name:  ImageUploadedByAG Free1466969577.751332.jpg
Views: 660
Size:  40.4 KB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Suspension (including wheels, tires, brakes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.