New R888R sizes for 16x7 17x8? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

2Likes
  • 1 Post By forkmeupscotty
  • 1 Post By shinoo@InoKinetic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 02:22 AM Thread Starter

New R888R sizes for 16x7 17x8?

What tires is everyone running for track? It seems like a popular wheel size anyway because of the wheels like Monolites and Ethos come in these sizes...

I've been running 195/50R16 and 225/45R17 on euro-spec Exige wheels(the heavy cast ones) so far, and I finally got Toybox48 Hethel forged wheels in 16x7(+22) and 17x8(+35).
I've done some googling around, but some of the results are muddied with choices based on aesthetics.. which I don't really care for.... It won't be for autocross either, so no crazy rule-skirting sizes....
I'm running Nitrons with 450/600 springs lowered to 120/130mm f/r, and going lower is not an option as I won't clear my driveway. I already scrape pretty badly going in/out.
My car sees 80% track, maybe occasional canyon runs, and sees 0 rain.

Shamelessly hotlinking from another thread... (New Toyo R888R reviews)

I've seen people run stock 195/225 sizes with their 7"/8" setup with the old R888, which struck me a little odd since the tirerack's Measured Rim Width seem to call for 205/235...
But, now that the new R888R's tread widths are quite a bit narrower than the old one, I'm wondering if I should indeed move up to 205/235. The popular 245 rears are unavailable for the R888R, and I imagine 255 will definitely rub.

If I were to do 205/235, the ride height changes due to different sidewall sizes are....
205/45/16 -0.4"~-10.16mm 235/40/17 -0.3"~-7.62mm
205/50/16 +0.4"~+10.16mm 235/45/17 +0.4"~+10.16mm
If I go DOWN an aspect ratio, I'll have to raise the car ~10mm and re-align/corner balance it. The gearing will be shorter for better acceleration. The tire spring rate probably goes up = quicker response but more skipping on rough patches. Higher chance of wheel damage due to less sidewalls.
If I go UP an aspect ratio, I probably can get away not re-align/corner balancing. The gearing will be longer for poorer acceleration, in addition to additional rotational mass due to more tire. Lower spring rate = lazy handling but possibly more grip. Lower chance of wheel damage, but higher chance of putting holes thru my wheel liner.

To add to my dilemma, I keep finding articles that wider tires don't always mean it's better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by National Auto Sport Association
using a tire with a smaller cross section width is often better than trying to use the widest tire that will fit in the fender well on a rim that is narrower than optimum.
https://nasaspeed.news/tech/wheels-t...-spring-rates/
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoIQ
rule of thumb:

“For ideal handling: when sizing a tire for a given wheel, I usually target a tire’s TREAD width to be as wide as the WHEEL width, or 0.5” narrower than the wheel width.”
How to PROPERLY select and size TIRES for PERFORMANCE > MotoIQ - Automotive Tech, Project Cars, Performance & Motorsports

I realize the R888R only just came out recently so there isn't much of a data, but I imagine people will start migrating to it once they wear out the old R888s. I expect people to be in similar situation as I am, so I figured I'd leave this out here so everyone can discuss their thoughts and their plans for it.
SS Lotus Elise likes this.

2008 Lotus Exige S240 Phantom Black - Starshield, Touring Pack, Track Pack, LSD, Premier Gold Pack
2008 BMW 535i - Sport Pkg, SportAT, etc

http://www.youtube.com/forkmeupscotty

Last edited by forkmeupscotty; 04-19-2017 at 01:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 05:12 AM

Toyo R888's (looking forward to the new R888r's)

225/45-16 fronts
255/40-17 rears

Tracked regularly, never had a problem.
Sticks like glue to the track.

Stay Tuned.....
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 06:30 AM
He's on fire!

As far as we know, r888r has same compound but a revised tread block to maximize dry traction. So if you want a dual purpose tire the r888r seems to be a worse choice.

"Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 10:53 AM

Garage
I have been running 205/45/16 and 225/45/17 in the Bridgestone RE71R on my LSS wheels and will keep them for street and driving to tracks 2+ hours away. I have liked them but they are the only tire that I have experience with. I will be getting 16x7 and 17x8 wheels (hopefully) early May and was going to try the same size tires in R888R on them, to use mainly for driving to/from/on the two tracks near me. I am tempted to go with the 235/40/17 rear for more rubber and reduced diameter (being NA, I want all the help that I can get with acceleration).

I have not done any auto-X but may try it sometime.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 11:28 AM
Saffron Yellow is Lighter

I have the same size tires coming and was wondering the same thing.

'05 Lotus Elise - Saffron Yellow | Sport Pack | Touring Pack | REV400 - 5.6 lbs/hp | ACT HDSS Clutch | DMC Header | Sport Cat | Larini SE Exhaust | re-Enforcer | LETSLA | SSC Cables | BWR Double-Adjustable Shocks | Shorai Lithium-Iron Battery
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds62f View Post
As far as we know, r888r has same compound but a revised tread block to maximize dry traction. So if you want a dual purpose tire the r888r seems to be a worse choice.
My car is 80% track and sees 0 rain. Edited the original post for clarity.

2008 Lotus Exige S240 Phantom Black - Starshield, Touring Pack, Track Pack, LSD, Premier Gold Pack
2008 BMW 535i - Sport Pkg, SportAT, etc

http://www.youtube.com/forkmeupscotty

Last edited by forkmeupscotty; 04-19-2017 at 01:22 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 05:25 PM
Saffron Yellow is Lighter

@forkmeupscotty

I am in the same situation as you. I plan to move to R888R with:
205/45ZR16
235/40ZR17

The 40 size rears are actually listed at 1 lb lighter on their site plus they have 0.2" more tread width than the 45 size rears. The change in sidewall height most likely will have no impact, you are more likely to notice the additional grip than any reduced rim damage. That's my thought anyway. Plus it puts the height of the rear tire closer to the original tire height of the Yokohama.

'05 Lotus Elise - Saffron Yellow | Sport Pack | Touring Pack | REV400 - 5.6 lbs/hp | ACT HDSS Clutch | DMC Header | Sport Cat | Larini SE Exhaust | re-Enforcer | LETSLA | SSC Cables | BWR Double-Adjustable Shocks | Shorai Lithium-Iron Battery
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 05:26 PM
Supporting Vendor

I'm going to try the 205/45 & 235/40 on my current Elise which is NA. This appears to be the best performance choice for me but you would likely need to reset ride height/corner balance to clear your driveway.
SS Lotus Elise likes this.

InoKinetic.com - tasty bits for your Lotus
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 05:34 AM

^that's what I would have got if I had 7"/8" wheels, but I have 6.5/7.5 LSS wheels so I went with OEM 195/225 sizes. I'm glad I didn't go wider with my wheels as the sidewalls are already a bit rounded, wider would have been too bulgy without wider wheels.

2006 Polar Blue Elise, Black LSS wheels, Black lug bolts, Black badges, CF Reverie diffuser, CF splitter, Micro Mirror, Bootie, Alcantara headliner, Alpine headunit, JL speakers, S111 DBWpedals, S111 Flex Co radiator & hoses, De-snorkel, Lower mount inserts, StopTech SS brake lines, LETSLA, SSC toe links & brace, BOE TOC pan, Top Speed Pro 1 exhaust, BWR Penske Singles, V2 arms, V2 fuel tank, HDSS clutch/pp, MWR flywheel, BOE Torque200
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Suspension (including wheels, tires, brakes)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.