The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Penske SA installed noise, I hope normal

3K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  ExigeTT 
#1 ·
Installed the Penske single adj kit on my 05 Elise over the winter. Took it out for a spin for the first time. As I live in the city, there a potholes everywhere. But each hit from a pothole or crack makes a sharp knocking sound on each corner. It's pretty raucous over very bad surfaces! I was concerned that I messed up the install. But when the road is smooth it's silent. I'm assuming that this is due to the Heim joints in the shocks. Checked the bolts and didn't see any problem. Also no rubbing on the coilovers or the chassis.

Can others confirm this experience?

The new handling felt phenomenal. Very confidence inspiring.

thanks,
Andy

#4 ·
On the D/A shocks, the springs are actually "lose" in their perches. I say this with the statement that when weight is on the shocks, the springs are compressed and held tight in place by car's weight...not sure if this is true for the S/As....but I am going to guess they are the same, so that you can adjust ride height. You say that when you hit a pot hole there is sound. It sounds like your wheel is dropping far enough to unload the weight on the spring so that the spring can "slip" down to just below the spring perch and then when you put weight back on it, the spring has to slip back into place.

That is my best guess. I believe Fred stated in the installation directions that if you wanted to "jump" your car the springs would lose their location when weight was lifted, but then would slip back into place. I would say that is my best guess to your sound issue. Hence the reason why others who drive on smooth roads have never had that sound.

Word of caution...potholes do lots of damage to cars if not properly dealt with...i.e. avoiding them. :)

#5 ·
Thanks for the replies.

Yes, the springs were loose when I had the car up on stands. I suspect that you are correct, Giantmcm, in that when the suspension is unloaded quickly with a pothole, it might cause noise when it re-seats itself. It makes a fairly loud knock, but it is equal on all 4 corners - i.e. not just one corner making the sound. Just caught me off guard as it's much different than the OEM setup.

Cant wait to explore the handling more...

thx,
A

#6 ·
I've also had noise that I've chalked up to rotation due to the loose Heim style joints on the coilovers. That might be another source. (My springs are tight and have a tiny bit of preload on them. My car is almost stock ride height.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.