What size Hoosier A6's for stock rear LSS wheels? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2013, 03:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

What size Hoosier A6's for stock rear LSS wheels?

What size Hoosier tires are people running on stock rear LSS wheels.

255/45/17's are rare and take a special order. Is there a more common size?

"Listen up, I ain't Captain Walker. I'm the guy who carries Mr. Dead in his pocket."

"CHARLIE DON'T SURF"
Gunpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2013, 09:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
One corner at a time

245/45/17 and 225/45/17 are both pretty common. I've run the 245s without rubbing. But for my money the Yoko slicks are far better and per cycle run about the same cost.
2006 Exige | BOE Rev400 (357whp) | JC Head | ProAlloy | ForceFed | BOE QS | ITG Airbox | BOE catch cans | gPan2 | Setrab | JUBU | Tillet B5s | Scroth 6pt | OMP Superquadro | interior/HVAC delete | Traqmate | Chasecam | Lift Point Kit | Ultradiscs | RBF 600 | RS14 | Vented Pistons | V2 arms | BOELinks | ShiftEnforcer | Manly mounts | Braille | Yoko S01s | R888s | GTC-200 & Canards | RACEsills | BOE UnderAero | F1 Livery

V8 Pathfinder LE
Former: Audi RS 4 | Legacy Spec.B | Volvo S60R | 350Z
rosscarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:31 AM   #3 (permalink)

Agreed on the Yoko slicks. Medium soft. front: 190/580 R16 rear: 230/625 R17
07 Exige S - Fast Road/Track Car - Wrecked at track
06 Elise - Track pack - Sold
Certified Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:10 AM   #4 (permalink)

Trial and error I guess to see what works for you. I'm running Toyo R888's but im plowing bad in the turns. Great to drive to work but im not digging them for autocross.

I went with 245/40 and 205/45 Hoosier A6's. Mainly because im in a time crunch and that's what Tire Rack had in stock. If I don't like the rears I can special order the 255/45's. The 205/45's though seem to be a standard size most folks use in the front.

A little worried about rake but what's the most it will be? A few CM? Doubt I will notice it with the way I drive.

"Listen up, I ain't Captain Walker. I'm the guy who carries Mr. Dead in his pocket."

"CHARLIE DON'T SURF"
Old 02-25-2013, 05:00 AM   #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunpilot View Post
Trial and error I guess to see what works for you. I'm running Toyo R888's but im plowing bad in the turns. Great to drive to work but im not digging them for autocross.

I went with 245/40 and 205/45 Hoosier A6's. Mainly because im in a time crunch and that's what Tire Rack had in stock. If I don't like the rears I can special order the 255/45's. The 205/45's though seem to be a standard size most folks use in the front.

A little worried about rake but what's the most it will be? A few CM? Doubt I will notice it with the way I drive.
less than a cm... it'll be so minimal (almost non-existent) your eyes wont be able to decipher whether or not there is a difference
Old 02-25-2013, 06:03 AM   #6 (permalink)

You can significantly reduce front end ploughing by introducing more camber on the front end. With stock camber, you will only be using the outer 2 inches of any tire width (when cornering hard). Look at your tire wear after a hot run to confirm this. If you still have any shims in the front, consider removing them. If it still isn't enough, there are other solutions sold which allow a greater camber adjustment.
Storm titanium 2005 Elise with carbon fiber spoiler, BWR sway bar, BOE toe links, gPan2, LidBone, sector 111 wheel studs, Grey RAC Monolite wheels with toyo R1R, Team Dynamics 1.4 with Hoosier A6/R6s, Katana2 Supercharger, ECU with 265 flash. PPE headers w/decat, CEL angle eliminator, Silent touch catback, Rear Panel Eliminator, HKS intake, V2 fuel tank, Walbro255 fuel pump. HID lights.
addertooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:19 AM   #7 (permalink)

I have a set to 245/40/17 for the rear. They do rub slightly on the wheel well liner. I trimmed a small piece off and put a piece of plastic behind it to keep debris from entering the engine compartment.

In autocross I found them to be phenomenal when they were new. They remained quite good for the season and were okay in the a second season.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
One corner at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by hroundy View Post
In autocross I found them to be phenomenal when they were new. They remained quite good for the season and were okay in the a second season.
My main issue with the Hoosiers is they heat cycle out really quickly. The first 4-5 session on the track were pretty impressive (better than R888s but no where close to Yoko slicks) but after that they really fell off. By the 8th cycle they weren't nearly as good as my R888s (that I got 58 cycles out of last season). While the R888s fell off at the end they were still pretty consistent all through their life.

For me Hoosiers are about 1-2 seconds a lap faster (on a 120 second lap) where Yoko's are about 4-5 seconds quicker. Given the Hoosiers are 10X the cost of the R888s (when you factor in cost/per-lap) I'll never run Hoosiers again. Just not worth it over R888s in my opinion and hell most people aren't even maxing those out.

So if you want some real fun, hero makers get a set of Yokos. You'll be amazed. Oh, and as Adder said make sure you are running maximum camber with either. I run -2.5 for R888s and -3.5 for Yokos (V2 steering arms and I had my hubs machined to get that much). You'll probably get -1.5 with stock hardware if you remove all the shims and ABS bracket.
2006 Exige | BOE Rev400 (357whp) | JC Head | ProAlloy | ForceFed | BOE QS | ITG Airbox | BOE catch cans | gPan2 | Setrab | JUBU | Tillet B5s | Scroth 6pt | OMP Superquadro | interior/HVAC delete | Traqmate | Chasecam | Lift Point Kit | Ultradiscs | RBF 600 | RS14 | Vented Pistons | V2 arms | BOELinks | ShiftEnforcer | Manly mounts | Braille | Yoko S01s | R888s | GTC-200 & Canards | RACEsills | BOE UnderAero | F1 Livery

V8 Pathfinder LE
Former: Audi RS 4 | Legacy Spec.B | Volvo S60R | 350Z

Last edited by rosscarlson; 02-25-2013 at 02:29 PM.
rosscarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks Ross!

"CHARLIE DON'T SURF"
Old 02-26-2013, 05:46 PM   #10 (permalink)

245/40/17
06 Canyon Red Elise- Katana SC (sold)
CosmosMpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Suspension (including wheels, tires, brakes)