The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Front End Customization

12K views 49 replies 20 participants last post by  Catsailr27 
#1 · (Edited)
Well I have always had a hard time loving the front of my 2006 elise. Shave the turn signals and body line, widened the oil cooler vents "no cooler there now though'

Considered a front lib but can seem to get into them.

Then I saw this on FB. Wow would love to have this, too bad this guy is like 100% other side of planet. I wonder is there a body shop around pittsburgh that can do something custom to my front clam before the car is painted.

See less See more
#2 ·
CK Lim actually sells and ships those around the world. By the time you have a shop attempt to do that extent of modifications to yours you could have that one delivered, painted, and installed. One of the Evora centric shop owners here on LT (can't recall the name off hand) actually works with CK Lim on parts for those and might be able to assist as well.

#4 ·
Cool I actually did become friends with him on FB, I had no idea something this large could be shipped globally but 100% I would rather it be straight from him. I will be sure to update this post once I get my order together hope its not outrageous.

#5 ·
I agree that the front end is just too busy. If it were not so expensive I'd love to have my turn signals shaved and re-positioned into the headlight housing. My screen image is old so it doesn't show the "new" grey-out film I placed over my turn signals. IMO this does make them blend and recede a bit into the face of the car. They no longer appear orange and white. This is my poor man's solution. :wink2:

Attachments

#10 · (Edited)
Soo the S2 one is 3000 n shipping about 600 but not exact. Then $800 for the side skirts' with the bat wings'

Made me scroll up and say do I really want this?? And I do' I would be the first person from USA with it'

Going to try and get my order in by beginning of march,if anyone want some of his work as well we may be able to save some money if we group order some stuff, its all from Malaysia .

#11 ·
Reactions: kristhod
#13 ·
I dunno, these cars already suffer quite enough from the 'It's cute/Hot Wheels/Is it a kit car?' syndrome. Tasteful customizations, like getting rid of the turn signals in the front, filling in the faux fins next to the tail lights on the Elise, and understated front splitters work nicely.

It's REAL easy to go over the top, approaching ricer/Fast & Furious cartoon caricature status. Cannards, picnic table size wings, multi-element diffusers sticking a foot out of the back of the car...more often than not on cars that are functionally used in ways that don't require ANY added downforce components only make these small cars more cartoonish.

And lately folks have started putting roofs with scoops on Elises...:facepalm

That said, I'm from the "It's your money, it's your car...do what you want" school. My last Europa, restored to the nth degree, was painted in a color other than original, so in some schools I'm a blasphemer. I get it.

For my own part, I'm just underwhelmed by cars that look like a JC Whitney catalog exploded on them.

#15 ·
Thanks for the input guys, I know there are all types of lotus owners here and we all have a different idea for these cars'

I agree these cars are sensitive to bolt on stuff, that wing in the back can go right to rice burner on you so could this front clam'

I did look at the v6 conversion clam, its gonna be at least 12k' but it would be right! Even if I had the money dam might as well just buy a whole new car. It would kinda suck to blow through 12k just to get a look many already have'

Even the 3k for the CK clam is at the top of my budget when you throw in shipping and the side skirts I like.

For me personally My car will never be stock again' already cut too much off' shes an R-title anyhow so no oone has to feel bad im hacking it up'

So at this point I am going with a CK clam to fit my 2006 elise, and he's defiantly going to do the custom front and shaved turn signals.

This clam from him will be built after I purchase it, he said however I want it' going to see if he would Attempt putting in the newer style headlight pockets' and that would be a great deal for me, accept I have not seen the price of those new headlights yet...

#21 ·
Been home the last few days, trying to pick up where I left off on my car been on the computer alot

Trying to find another pic of this car, I know it is in Australia. Is there any chance in the whole wide world someone knows any more about this car? It's not a huge deal it's just nice to see the pics when you cannot see it in person'

I sure some people on here use fiver I think it's great' for $10 I had someone make me a color changing PSD file' it was fun for $10 bucks. If I had a better picture maybe would spend more on one'

Going to try and link to the file here with google drive I had a little fun with it' could be much better though haha :https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6GdSRJ_3jJDa0dxYmE3YkZHeTQ

#22 ·
Been home the last few days, trying to pick up where I left off on my car been on the computer alot

Trying to find another pic of this car, I know it is in Australia. Is there any chance in the whole wide world someone knows any more about this car? It's not a huge deal it's just nice to see the pics when you cannot see it in person'

I sure some people on here use fiver I think it's great' for $10 I had someone make me a color changing PSD file' it was fun for $10 bucks. If I had a better picture maybe would spend more on one'

Going to try and link to the file here with google drive I had a little fun with it' could be much better though haha :https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6GdSRJ_3jJDa0dxYmE3YkZHeTQ
This is the front this post is about. It is a CK Lim which Hethelsport.com is the distributor of. I don't see the elise one on the site maybe you have to call.

#23 ·
They do make it for elise' in fact CK lim can make any configuration of headlights clams, body lines, layouts etc'

I did consider having the clam made to fit my 06 elise but have the new style headlights, they even offered to change the center radiator shroud to the new style yet still fit my 06'

I decided the headlights just arent gonna be worth it for me, I do like the new headlights however I feel the older ones still have a good look and I did just buy them before putting the car away for a few years'

I am not going through Hethelsport because I found ck lim first, n I am very familiar with global shipping and receiving. But I am sure they could be very helpful and insure a smooth process for a small %' Its kinda scary sending nearly 5k to Malaysia in hopes something returns'

#24 ·
........I am not going through Hethelsport because I found ck lim first, n I am very familiar with global shipping and receiving. But I am sure they could be very helpful and insure a smooth process for a small %' Its kinda scary sending nearly 5k to Malaysia in hopes something returns'

Since HethelSport (Sherman) is the US distributor for Win Ace (CK Lim), I would have contacted Sherman already to see if he could facilitate your wishes. Since his business is already set up to sell Win Ace products, I can't see how it could hurt.

I realize you stated that you are very familiar with global shipping, but Sherman has already received many shipments from Win Ace and my guess is that he might be able to save quite a few $$ in shipping costs if your parts are coupled with one of his shipments. And, since you have concerns of sending 5K to Malaysia, why wouldn't you call a US company who already has a perfect track record with many happy customers?

I have purchased from Sherman and am a big supporter of his based on my many, many dealing with him and the fact that he has been a Lotus owner for many years, a productive member of this forum for many years, and recently started a new business to help SUPPORT the forum members here. It wouldn't be like you are cutting Win Ace out of the picture, you would still be supporting Win Ace too..

#25 ·
Well for what it is worth' my parts are ordered. So now I wait 3 weeks for it to be made then up to 40 days for delivery by sea'

As far as Hethelsport, I found the GTR clam on facebook and contacted ck lim directly, he was nice enough to quote me. Only after I came back to lotus talk did I learn of the US distributor, but did not want to go back on me and CK's deal'

I picked up the full front clam and the side skirts, but they do have more accessories, if i decide for more most likley be going through hethel especially if it is in stock'+

K well back to reality for now, still trying to explain to the wife why I needed a "$4000 piece of plastic":scratchhead::scratchhead::scratchhead:

#27 ·
Haven't picked out a body shop yet I'm pretty sure I heard of this place before it's out in Wexford'

I'm fully capable of removing and putting on my clams but probably going with metallic paint it's going to need that final coat assembled I think from what I read anyhow

#28 ·
Generally shops can do metallic properly if they put all the body panels on stands in the proper orientation and location to how they go on the car. These guys have done two magnetic blue cars and a krypton green one like that and they turned out much better than the factory Lotus paint.

#32 · (Edited)
KwyK, Thanks for letting me know, I am a member on there I may have to see if he ever shared any pics'

His car is newer and nicer, has the new headlights which I decided against, so it’s not going to be exactly what I am getting anymore. At this point I am ready to start mocking up my own look.

As far as simplifying the clam, No way! This baby will be meshed out and I really like the indent' most likely will paint that spot whatever color I go for on the brake calipers etc'

As far as the grey color, I cant help but think "Primer", After having a satin plasti-dipped orange car, I am so done with satin's, flats all that. I need gloss and I need metallic.

I did speak with Innovative Autoworks and they suggested a few whites'

Said to checkout I Porsche cayman white, Lexus has a nice pearl white and jaguar as well. He said there would be yellowish, blueish, and grayish whites, I think I am going for a gray since I am tying in alot of carbon fiber.

Other issue I am dealing with is if you look at the pics of the clam you can see it has 2 new body lines between the headlights, similar to the 3-eleven race paint. Not sure if I would do something with that like paint it black in there or what' Planned on having a black hard top, and that little roof piece behind it so might flow together'

This shows the paint on 3- eleven

https://www.facebook.com/groups/LotusOwnersAndEnthusiasts/permalink/10154474850260687/

#34 ·
Well you know, I have not seen the color in person, but from photos online I can see the shade of gray' and its kinda dark for me personally'

I'd be glad to hear what I may be missing in a photo though. Considering I may do a stripe, might end up using the color too

#36 ·
Lexus has an absolutely stunning titanium color....atomic silver maybe? Go look at one, don't google it....I was blown away and it would look awesome with raw carbon....the google images do it no justice in real life..... gotta have supermodel bodywork to pull it off....

#37 ·
Haters gonna hate and lovers gonna love, My parks are here!

Did not unwrap all the side skirts but the parts I did were very clean, Ill post up pics when they are going on.

Right now I am trying to figure out where to get a mesh like they used for this clam. I have been adding mesh to various areas of the car and would like to match what they have used. Anyone out there has a good mesh source let me know'