Good source for quality OEM match touchup paint??? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 08:54 AM   #1 (permalink)

Good source for quality OEM match touchup paint???

Hey all, had a run in with a armadillo which mangled my license plate mount. I need to do some minor fiberglass repair but will eventually need a source for Chrome Orange paint that I can spray.

Ideally looking for something in a rattle can but color match is most important... a hard task with the CO.

Where can I source it???

Any advice???
SiXeVeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2012, 08:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Scott Graham

+1 I need Aspen white in case anything should happen to the car.

Tons of Sector111 and RLS goodies.
Scottycali4nia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ticket Magnet

I am currently using AutomotiveTouchUp.com. The B86 Green seems to match one fairly well for a metallic paint in an aerosol can. It does seem a little light in the amount of "solids" in a can. I just started to buy in quarts but haven't shot any of it through a gun yet. Fast shipping.
Good Luck
R4Racin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:40 AM   #4 (permalink)

I have Ardent Red from automotivetouchup.com and it doesn't match perfectly. It's a bit too orange, hard to tell from far away, but you can from close up.
Deja Vu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

automotivetouchup...I don't have the spray, but the two stage touchup plus clear and rubbing compound. I normally would use my own products after paint but figured I would use all of their stuff.

I have chrome orange, and as most know there are several different variations of CO all with the same B25 paint code. The touchup matches ok, but is very hard to fill small knicks smoothly. The two stage is nice because it allows you to adjust the metallic coat a bit, but I found my orange was too yellow no matter how many coats I used to darken it. The clear and rub means it usually matches the gloss of the factory clear when done.

I had a one stage storm titanium touchup kit from DR color chip previously, and had mixed results. Color matched better but it was too flat and very difficult to apply to anything bigger then a tiny chip.
invictusmaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

I went with Automotivetouchup. I agree with the previous posts. The basecoat is very light in "solids". I emptied an entire can just to spray a small area... I would describe the paint as a tinted clear coat. Eventually with enough coats it did cover. The mid coat pearl was dead on.

Unfortunately, the color is not a perfect match. It is slightly desaturated. i.e. it needs more orange pigment. The touchup looks slightly washed out. Perhaps even slightly too yellow.

I wrote the company as they say they can 'remix' for a better match. We'll see what happens.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Here's a pic of the color difference...

Damn... sorry huge pic!
Attached Images

Old 12-01-2012, 09:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

+1 on automotivetouchup.

BTW they are really great too if it doesn't match. Call them up and let them know and they'll remix it and send you another one to see if it's better.

I had them do that on my mother-in-laws Civic that I was helping to touch-up for her. It took 2 tries, but the second one was a much better match.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:07 PM   #9 (permalink)

I have used spray paint from Tower Paints a few times, and it has matched well for my 2005 Bordeaux Red Pearl car.
APS Tower Paint Company, Spray Max, Aerosol Spray Paint, Custom Mixed Spray Paint

You can also buy a small tube of touch-up paint from Lotus.
ChrisH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:25 PM   #10 (permalink)

UPDATE...

I finally got a remix back from Automotive touchup. It's nearly a dead match now!!!

Kudus to them for taking another crack at CO... Its a PITA to match but they managed to do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Interior/Exterior