nci 1/4 turn install thread - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

nci 1/4 turn install thread

step 1
place car on ramps or jack stands.remove under tray and diffuser.

step 2
remove 4 bolts from shear panel closest to the edge.flex shear panel down to
remove clip nuts.(be careful of sharp edges on shear panel)the holes in the shear panel that the 1/4 turn fasteners go through will need to be drilled out to 5/16.you may need to raise the car higher to get the drill under the car.you can slide a piece of plywood in between the side sil and shear panel to protect it.once the 6 holes are drilled out.install the 6 clips that are marked for under the shear panel.

step 3
makeup your clip checker.the little piece of .050 aluminum in the kit.place a pin in the hole.place a delrin washer on the pin.use a 7 or 8 mm deep socket to tap the washer past the rib on the pin.this represents the panels.so it can be used to check the grip range of the clips.it saves a lot of time not having to install the panel to check the clips.you may need to adjust the grip range of the clips.if they need more locking force you will need to spread the clip.what i use is a chisel that fits between the sides of the clip.then i insert a screw driver on the back side of the chisel to pry with.if the clip needs less locking force or the pin wont engage you will need to pinch the clip.i use a pair of plyers for that.now check the 6 clips under the shear panel.once the lock is good on all 6.install all the pins with the delrin washers using the socket to tap them on.place a block of wood on the floor to protect the pin and panel.test fit the under tray to make sure they all lock good.once you are certain that all 6 latch.then go ahead and bolt the shear panel back up.the under tray can be installed now.

step 4

now replace all the clips on the diffuser,rear panel,outer edges of clam.(these are marked in there own bag)check with clip checker and adjust as needed.now install all pins in diffuser.use a block of wood to support the pin while you tap the washers on with the socket.once all pins are installed and all clips have been checked.now test fit the diffuser.start by installing the 2 threaded bolts finger tight.lock a few of the fasteners on the under tray to diffuser.now lock a few on the rear panel.then go around and make sure they all latch well.now you can install all 4 of the threaded bolts and tighten them.go around and latch all the 1/4 turn fasteners.the first time latching them it will be a bit tricky to get them all lined up.but once you do.it will be a piece of cake from now on.
edit.i just installed jims washers on my car.i found it easier to not use them on the two that go through the clam on the outside corners of the diffuser.with the washers there it makes it hard to get the pin started in the hole of the clip.the white nylon washers are provided to increase grip range for a tighter lock.
Attached Images

Last edited by kmt63; 04-18-2010 at 06:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

more picsName:  quarter turn install pics 016.jpg
Views: 1631
Size:  157.5 KB

Name:  quarter turn install pics 017.jpg
Views: 1670
Size:  160.1 KB

Name:  quarter turn install pics 020.jpg
Views: 1697
Size:  153.1 KB

Name:  quarter turn install pics 023.jpg
Views: 1622
Size:  127.5 KB

Name:  quarter turn install pics 025.jpg
Views: 1664
Size:  127.3 KB
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

more pics
Name:  quarter turn install pics 029.jpg
Size:  123.0 KB

Name:  quarter turn install pics 037.jpg
Size:  146.4 KB

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

1/4 turn kit details

the quarter turn kit has 22 clips 23 pins and 24 of jim claytons over sized delrin washers.this leaves you with a spare pin and a few spare washers.the kit price is 105$ shipped within the usa.outside the usa please pm me for a shipping quote.payment can be made through paypal to northcoastinnovations@iinet.com
if you would like the kit sent to a different address then please put that in the notes section on the paypal page.thanks everyone
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 07:20 PM
Disingenuous Minion

I'm in Kevin. $105 send.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the payment John.i will get your kit out monday morning
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 01:07 PM
Mulholland>SCC

Bumping this thread cause I had to search for a bit to find it! Finally under the car and am about to install the kit.

Toys-
07 Lotus Exige S Chrome Orange
05 Ducati S4R
02 Suzuki SV650
09 Kawasaki KLX250
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 04:00 PM
Mulholland>SCC

Holy, has anyone else installed this yet?

Toys-
05 Ducati S4R
02 Suzuki SV650
09 Kawasaki KLX250
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 04:19 PM
Disingenuous Minion

I have mine but haven't gotten to the install yet. Was hoping someone else would be first!
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by agirls View Post
Holy, has anyone else installed this yet?
so what seams to be the trouble?
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 06:22 PM
Mulholland>SCC

I posted up the details on BS, lol. You want me to copy and paste it here, or just read and reply over there?

Toys-
05 Ducati S4R
02 Suzuki SV650
09 Kawasaki KLX250
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 06:55 AM Thread Starter

no i can look over there.
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 01:04 PM
Mulholland>SCC

Update. I put my car on a lift today, took the panel back off, and drilled out the side holes on the sheer panel larger than specified. This helped. The install was not hard mechanically wise, but definitely was not a quick install. It took some time. If you have the privilege of using a lift, I would recommend you do it on one. I did the install laying on my back and my neck was pretty sore the next day from holding my head up to look at the fasteners while installing/adjusting them.

The things I did different from the install instructions.

I started with the rear diffuser. No troubles there and I did not use Jim's washer on the outer most pin that connects the diffuser to the clam as suggested. It makes lining up the diffuser easier.

The underpanel - first, I undid the 4 bolts on the sheer panel closest to the sides instead of just 3. Be careful when installing these fasteners as the sheer panel is sharp! I drilled the holes on the sheer panel out to 5/16" which is bigger than the instructions say. I needed the extra room to get the pins through and have a bit of slack for aligning. The fasteners had to be bent completely flat. I took a crappy cell phone pic and I'll upload it. The next time the panel comes off, I will remove Jim's washer from the front most pin on the panel as it makes getting the panel in the slot and aligned pretty hard with the pin in the way. Happy to say that aligning the panel and attaching was much easier this time around.
Attached Images

Toys-
05 Ducati S4R
02 Suzuki SV650
09 Kawasaki KLX250
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

happy to hear you got it working.the extra thickness of jims washers did ad some complexity to the install.they are only 10 thousandths thicker than the white nylon ones i had on there before.i didnt remove them to bend them more flat.they did latch very tight though.so i will make this correction when i bend the six for under the shear panel on future kits.also i will correct the install directions for the 5/16 drill size.thanks for your feedback agirls.
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Thomas added the 1/4 turn kit to the really light stuff website.so now its a simple click and buy deal.

Last edited by kmt63; 04-18-2010 at 06:32 PM.
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

im looking for feedback on the 1/4 turn kits.any problems to report?i have installed 2 kits so far.my car (06 elise)and an 07 exige.there where some minor differences on the exige.mostly with the rear panel.i had to remove the diffuser supports.they got in the way of reinstalling the diffuser.some of the holes on the rear panel had to be enlarged.other than that it was a piece of cake.
post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 07:33 AM
Disingenuous Minion

I haven't had a chance to install mine yet Kevin. Will update the thread when I do.
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

bump
post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 12:47 PM

Thanks for the bump. I have been thinking about this improvement to the Elise.
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

no problem.A customer was looking for the install thread.so i figured i bump it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Interior/Exterior

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.