Polycarbonate Roof for Elise - eBay - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
DYNASTY

Polycarbonate Roof for Elise - eBay

So, David Craig told me about this and I reached out.

This looks to be what I've been wanting badly - a polycarbonate hardtop for the Elise.

Lotus Elise Hardtop New | eBay

I've been trading emails with the guy and he's getting a bit snippy, but a few notes:

- $3,300 plus $100 to ship. I basically told this guy, in a loving way, that he's high. NO ONE will pay $3,300 for a part time roof for a part time car. If the price point was $1,500, I'd buy it today.

- 12% light pass. Sorry, but I'd want much more light to pass through. That's the whole point. I'm thinking more like 80% would be better

- Fitment/quality - $3,300 for site unseen/unknown. I told the guy that there have been a few aftermarket tops (Gullwing, etc) with crap quality and poor fitment.

I am emailing with him to see if he's willing to special 'early adopter' pricing. We'll see.

Again, I love the idea of this roof, but at $3,300, no frickin' way.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 02:18 PM
Relapsing Honda fan

Hmmm, looks weird without the indent.

Just noticed the drivers side window edge is f_cked.
post #3 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 02:18 PM
JWA

What would the benefit be for 80% light transmission? Is the wind messing up your hair Mr. Lo? .

It does look kind of cool, but it's clearly overpriced.

post #4 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 02:29 PM
Gamera The Atomic Turtle

more light with the roof off.
very cool tho.

Lotus Elise #134 - S O L D BOE REV400 street car built at BOE in KC. , Stock motor, low boost w/stock cat/mani, 292whp, (5.95 lbs/hp) passes all 50 states emissions/OBD, BOE ST exhaust, ACT HDSS, BOE Clam Hinge, BOE Oil Cooler Relocation, BOE Surge Tank/750cc injectors, BOE Race Links, MWR Rear Lift Kit etc. 0-100 = you bet!
Build thread :
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f160...seline-114302/
post #5 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
DYNASTY

To me, it would be like a sunroof in a normal car. On days below 60 when I have the top on, it would be less claustrophobic and more 'open' than the dark soft top or hard top.

I'm emailing with the guy now and basically trying to help him by saying 'ummm, didn't you do any market research before you embarked on this thing?' Many people would like this, but at 12% light transmission and what appears to be a price tag that's about $2K too strong?

No way.
post #6 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 02:39 PM

There is a very nice option for a polycarbonate roof with excellent fitment. Recent pricing was ~$2450 with shipping at about $800 (shipped in a wooden protective crate). The price has been as high as $3700 plus $800 shipping. The price changes from month to month and exchange rate really can affect the price a bit. There may also be customs fees on top of it all.

If you want one, PM me and I'll try to hook you up. I may still be able to get it at a lower price.
post #7 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
DYNASTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadDad View Post
There is a very nice option for a polycarbonate roof with excellent fitment. Recent pricing was ~$2450 with shipping at about $800 (shipped in a wooden protective crate). The price has been as high as $3700 plus $800 shipping. The price changes from month to month and exchange rate really can affect the price a bit. There may also be customs fees on top of it all.

If you want one, PM me and I'll try to hook you up. I may still be able to get it at a lower price.
Hey, you're back!! Welcome back to the forum! We missed your mojo!

pm sent
post #8 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 03:48 PM

This may be the EU version

The car in the pics is the EU Elise: locking gas cap & EU plate up front!
Agree price is high!

05 Lotus Elise TVS, Stage II, OBX header, Moroso Oil Pan, RTD Brace, PRoAlloy Aluminum Radiator, SS Break Lines, S111 Oil Catch Can, ACT HDC, HID, Carbon Fiber Spliter, Reverie Side Scoops, CF side skirts, , S111 front & rear tow hooks, tail lights-LED, Driving lights, LETSLA, CF interior, 2lbs SS shifter knob, 2010 Exige Spoiler, Lotus shop Seats, RA clam, Light Flywheel, ATI pulley, 2010 Exige Cup mirrors
post #9 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 05:10 PM
RBH

It would be cool to see a version for an Exige with air intake...

Do it once. Do it right.
http://www.17of30.com
YouTube: 170f30
S260 Final Edition
RBH

I am a www. TrackJunkies.org member and I need help
post #10 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 08:30 PM

I have had several cars with "moonroofs" and even with some tint (unknown %) my head cooks on sunny days. Blondes might do okay but I have dark hair. I basically always drove with the sunshade closed, negating any benefit of the expensive moonroof. So 12% transmission of light does not sound unreasonable to me.
post #11 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 09:23 PM
JWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadDad View Post

Hey, welcome back RD.
post #12 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 10:14 PM

Not going to lie, I REALLY want to get one of these. No way in hell im paying $3,500 though.
I all for making money, and making a great profit, but I'd like to see this in the $1500-$2000 range for me to purchase.

2009 Lancer GTS - Sold
2008.5 Mazdaspeed3 GT - Sold
1997 Subaru 22B Replica - Sold
1993 M3 - Sold
2005 Elise - Sold
2013 Veloster Turbo - Daily
post #13 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 11:01 PM
Supporting Vendor

Within 2k will be fine.

S240 Exige S with BOW FW300 + over 40 mods
post #14 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 11:06 PM

I was going to get one and paint it, but the shipping killed it.
post #15 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 03:13 AM

I have a pair of Serengeti driving glasses that have a photocromic film. In strong glare on bright days the tint darkens and drops light to about 15% transmission, and I can still clearly see out of them. I think 12% sounds about right. 80% transmission would be like a windscreen and add greatly to the heat build-up in the car. With 80% transmission you might as well just go without the roof, which is free, rather than $3300.

We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. George Orwell

2009 Graphite Grey Elise S (Euro)
post #16 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 04:55 AM

With the exception of my Elise, I haven't had a car without a moonroof since the early '90's, and several have had the panorama type roof. I would pay $2k for a quality piece. It makes a big difference on dreary winter days, and especially given the small cabin of the Elise, would brighten things up quite a bit.
post #17 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 05:13 AM Thread Starter
DYNASTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
With the exception of my Elise, I haven't had a car without a moonroof since the early '90's, and several have had the panorama type roof. I would pay $2k for a quality piece. It makes a big difference on dreary winter days, and especially given the small cabin of the Elise, would brighten things up quite a bit.
This.

Every car I've owned for the last 15 years has had a sunroof (why the hell do they call them 'moonroofs').

I think this would do wonders for the tiny cabin that is the Elise, but as noted, the price is way of base. The guy said 'manufacturing cost this/that'. Fine and dandy, but unless a product can be priced at a level that folks are willing to pay, it's pointless. Especially when you consider that this would be on my car say 10/1-11/15 and then 4/1-5/15 and then any warm winter days that I take it out.
post #18 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 06:01 AM
He's on fire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwingLo View Post

(why the hell do they call them 'moonroofs').
Where I'm from moonroofs are typically tinted glass that let some light through even when closed, vs other sunroofs that are body color and don't let any light through unless they are open.

"Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
post #19 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 06:18 AM Thread Starter
DYNASTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds62f View Post
Where I'm from moonroofs are typically tinted glass that let some light through even when closed, vs other sunroofs that are body color and don't let any light through unless they are open.
I'm from the same place you are, Tangy!

Thanks - never understood the difference.

I remember the old days with the pop out/flip up sunroofs from Ziebart. Got one installed on my '84 Cutlass back in high school.

Man, I was Wooderson - alright, alright!!
post #20 of 74 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 06:32 AM
ksm

Sunroof vs. moonroof. I think it has to do with the way it opens. Pop-up-only = sunroof. Slide inside the roof = moonroof. Moonroofs are both moonroofs and sunroofs.

The panel looks pretty nice. 80% transmission has its applications as does 12%. If the light transmission was variable and controllable electronically that would be super slick.

'05. Eyes up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Interior/Exterior

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.