Removing a Logo From Hard Plastic - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2007, 05:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

Removing a Logo From Hard Plastic

Another little project. Just bought a new dashboard mount for my Garmin GPS. It's hard black plastic, with a kind of satin/low gloss finish. Not shiny. The darn thing has a GARMIN logo painted on it, in silver. What's the best way to remove that, without damaging the plastic? Here's the item, tho you can't see much from this pic: http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/...uL._AA280_.jpg Unfortunately, there's not really a spot to "test" anything before using it, cause the whole thing is so small.

Thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2007, 06:49 AM   #2 (permalink)

I have found that paint such as that may come off with the strangest of solvents. WD-40 might take it off. I have found also that a sharpie ink might do so as well. Another tact to take is tape. Place the tape on the logo area and rub it on and then peel it off. You may get the logo off with just the adhesive pulling on it. If it is truly just painted on, you should be able to get it off with a little effort and little or no damage. Depending on the finish, maybe super fine wet sanding may remove it and not change the look of the finish.

Good luck!
RegGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 06:54 AM   #3 (permalink)

Oven cleaner. Soak it in oven cleaner and then scrub it with a tooth brush. Old trick to remove paint that was botched onto model cars.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:20 AM   #4 (permalink)

Go to a screen printing shop and ask them for 0.5-1.0 cup of "ink degradient" - prefereably organic. It'll take a while since the ink is cured, and it may mess up the painted finish (test it first), but it won't damage the plastic.

Be sure to wear a mask - even the organic stuff can me nasty to breathe.
I'm currently working on my performance driving merit badge.
There's always somebody faster, sometimes it's me.
codymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 09:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
BANNED

Oven cleaner should work. I can but a matte or gloss black vinyl circle to just cover it up if you think that will work.
SweetDaddyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 05:23 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the suggestions. I decided to try some of the stuff I have around the house. Used some Kodak film cleaner I've had for years, plus Goof Off, plus Novus 2 plastic polish. The Goof Off worked the best at getting the logo off, but it was damaging the plastic big-time. Fortunately, the Kodak film cleaner, followed by Novus 2, restored the plastic just fine, and got the rest of the logo off.

It was a total waste of time and effort, but I just thought that logo looked stupid.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:52 AM   #7 (permalink)

Kind of late but...

I've removed logos from about a dozen plastic items using #30 sunblock.

It sounds ridiculous, but while writing at the beach on a hot day, I found that the logos on the pens I was using were coming off. The chemical action of the sunblock was accelerated by the friction of the pen in my hand.

So I tried it on other stuff and found that it works best if you put on a fairly thick layer and leave it alone for the day. Then wipe it off-sometimes the logo is gone right away, and sometimes it takes a couple of days of soaking and rubbing, but it's always worked and I've never had any damage to the plastic finish.
Brian 111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 07:15 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian 111 View Post
Kind of late but...

I've removed logos from about a dozen plastic items using #30 sunblock.

It sounds ridiculous, but while writing at the beach on a hot day, I found that the logos on the pens I was using were coming off. The chemical action of the sunblock was accelerated by the friction of the pen in my hand.

So I tried it on other stuff and found that it works best if you put on a fairly thick layer and leave it alone for the day. Then wipe it off-sometimes the logo is gone right away, and sometimes it takes a couple of days of soaking and rubbing, but it's always worked and I've never had any damage to the plastic finish.
I looked on the web, and some people use SUGAR to remove paint from plastic. Amazing what strange uses we can find for everyday stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Lotus Discussions > Interior/Exterior