'88 commemorative edition Esprit for sale - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2010, 12:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

'88 commemorative edition Esprit for sale

I'm selling the 1988 esprit that I purchased from a board member back in February. Here is the link to the original sale thread on the car:

Stunning 40th anniversary 88 Esprit Turbo for sale

I'm not selling it trying to cash in in any way - in fact at my asking price I lose several thousand over what I paid out for it (adding service).

The car lived up to the original ad's hype. It is fantastic looking, inside and out. My wife and I drove it back to Atlanta from Dallas and it ran like a charm. Since then, only about 300 miles have been added, bringing the total to 26,300 miles.

I had the car serviced at Lotus of Atlanta to replace the timing belt, and with it they replaced the water pump (done since the labor to get to it was already paid for). I asked them to check for any other needs, and they ultimately also changed the drive belt, compressor belt, camshaft oil seal, water outlet & cam cover gaskets, oil (5W30 synthetic), and coolant. Total cost, and yes I feel stupid, $4,500.

Issues. Well, on the way to LOA, the speedometer began to give wild readings, and now pretty much doesn't work. Sometimes it acts drunk, but generally it stays at zero. ?? I haven't had it looked at. Also, the passenger window decided to no longer work, so it's stuck fully up.

Physically, the only "blemish" is a slight crazing below the passenger side spoiler mount, I'm guessing from people closing the lid by pushing down on the spoiler. It is much less significant than describing it would have you think. You have to really look to see it.

Why am I selling? I'm just not smitten with it. It needs and deserves a passionate caretaker.

I got a great deal in buying it for $15,000 (thanks David). I'm selling it now for $16,500 (remember my insane service cost).

Thanks for looking.

Mark
Attached Images

Last edited by Fungezap; 08-07-2010 at 12:28 PM.
Fungezap is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2010, 07:31 AM   #2 (permalink)

88 Esprit88 Esprit

Isn't that the same window that the motor was rebuilt prior to sale?
How about the A/C is it blowing cold??
Does it use oil and did it run synthetic previously and what brand???
Are the tires also ten years old as the belts had been???
I drive my cars and am not interested in a garage Queen but a car that can be driven when and if desired and make the entire trip without needing to see the Lotus Doctors every trip out.
What is the boost the car is set for.
The speedo could just be the pulsar is disconnected. I had that issue with my AV Car and just needed to be pushed all the way back on. In another vehicle it snapped off and needed replacement.
Would like that repaired prior to any purchase.
Do you have a picture of the crazed area?
Thanks and it is a beauty though I prefer the 03 wheels.
Actuall I love the color combo so that is not an issue.
did the previous owner have service records of his own and those of prior owners to give to you when you purchased the car three months ago.?
Mort
carnutdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:58 AM   #3 (permalink)

I don't have answers to all your concerns.

Not sure on window motor.
AC is modestly cold - probably more "cool"
I have no reason to think it is burning oil. There were minor oil leaks that the service supposedly fixed with new seals. Don't know prior oil type history.
Good question on tires - they look in excellent shape and I never noticed any issues with them. I don't know the age.
I'd be surprised if there are any garage queen issues affecting running of the car. I say that simply because it runs very, very smooth. It didn't have to go for service. It just seemed the smart thing to do.
Don't know boost.
Where the speedo bung goes into the transmission there is some play. I've suspected the problem is there.
Picture later (I'm at work), but it really is small stress fractures, not crazed.
Service records are minimal (not good, I know). Does come with full service manual.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

pic added:
Attached Images

Old 08-08-2010, 05:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

88 Esprit

Thanks for the prompt reply.
Bad if problem is in transmission and not accessable from outside.
Shame also no significant record history.
Will have to speak to local Espirit guru about play at trans for gear.
I looked at original add and it was the passenger window that had power window motor rebuilt.
I will have to think on all these potential issues.
Mort
Old 08-08-2010, 06:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnutdr View Post
Thanks for the prompt reply.
Bad if problem is in transmission and not accessable from outside.
Shame also no significant record history.
Will have to speak to local Espirit guru about play at trans for gear.
I looked at original add and it was the passenger window that had power window motor rebuilt.
I will have to think on all these potential issues.
Mort
Fair enough. I wish I had a guru available.

I'm glad you're in NC, making seeing the car somewhat more reasonable. I don't think it will disappoint, if that day comes.

I might add, the last owner seemed to be a wealth of knowledge about the car. He was very much a Lotus guy, and could potentally be of great benefit in learning detailed history.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:20 AM   #7 (permalink)

88 Esprit

Am away from home this week and will not be able to look further before middle of next week.
Do love color combo as is unique!
Old 08-31-2010, 05:55 AM   #8 (permalink)

the "drunk" speedometer as you call it is easily repairable... $165.

APT Instruments International
9632 Humbolt Ave South
Bloomington, MN 55431
952-881-7095
877-856-7103

APT Instruments International Inc

Ha, do you wish David had sold it to me in the first place?

2006 Elise, Chili Red
1964 Karmann Ghia
1988 Esprit Turbo, white (sold)
88 E5PR1T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 05:57 AM   #9 (permalink)

btw, 5w30 in that motor? idk about that... from everything ive read, Mobil One 15W50.

2006 Elise, Chili Red
1964 Karmann Ghia
Old 08-31-2010, 06:00 AM   #10 (permalink)

and lastly, the window motor might be as simple as getting a new switch, especially considering theyve been rebuilt. My motors are currently out at South Florida Window Lift getting rebuilt, but since the switches take 12V and high amperage, theyre prone to burn out.

Good luck with the sale; im not exactly sure if i would have rather ended up with my car or that one... such a nice color combo.

2006 Elise, Chili Red
1964 Karmann Ghia
Old 08-31-2010, 11:42 AM   #11 (permalink)

88E5PR1T, thanks for the info. I'm a fish out of water for how best to care for it, so yes, you would have been a better buyer. I don't think the car has significant issues, it just needs someone crafty enough to keep it up.

The car has been at Lotus of Atlanta for a week now. They farmed the speedometer out for rebuilding, and the window motor is being worked on.

I have another potential buyer in the wings. I'm not sweating any of it, though. We enjoyed the 12 hour drive home with it. No regrets, really. When I get the car back from LOA with "maybe" everything working jolly well (for a while, at least, please), I may well learn to like it.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:10 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungezap View Post
I'm a fish out of water for how best to care for it, so yes, you would have been a better buyer.
Hope that wasnt taken poorly... no offense meant whatsoever Glad things are getting sorted out on her.

2006 Elise, Chili Red
1964 Karmann Ghia
Old 08-31-2010, 03:32 PM   #13 (permalink)

No offense taken, at all.

Enjoy your car!
Old 12-24-2010, 03:20 AM   #14 (permalink)

Bumping my old for sale thread.

all known issues have been long-ago resolved. Speedo and windows work fine.

Car has been driven typically once a week.

About to make a serious push to sell it. I'd really like it to go to an enthusiast. It runs great and looks terrific.

The car survived this long and deserves a good home.

$16,000 firm
Old 02-08-2011, 01:16 PM   #15 (permalink)

^^ Not selling it that cheap anymore. Too much invested in the car and the pain-in-the-butt selling process to just give it away.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:46 PM   #16 (permalink)

Just curious -- what number is it? I used to have this special edition and I believe there were 88 made. Mine had a plaque on the glovebox and I believe I had #7. I wonder if you have my old car
ameeriklane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 03:27 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameeriklane View Post
Just curious -- what number is it? I used to have this special edition and I believe there were 88 made. Mine had a plaque on the glovebox and I believe I had #7. I wonder if you have my old car
Car is now sold. My car was #77 of 88.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:11 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fungezap View Post
Car is now sold. My car was #77 of 88.
Sold to whom? Hopefully theyre on the forum.

2006 Elise, Chili Red
1964 Karmann Ghia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Marketplace > Lotus Cars For Sale