North America gathering at Yellowstone, EPIC road trip 2013 - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LotusTalk.com is the premier Lotus Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 04:12 PM   #21 (permalink)

I somehow missed this until now........but better late than never.

I live in Bozeman MT and know the park fairly well. I agree with those that say the Yellowstone won't be great driving due the crowds but it is a spectacular place and not to be missed.

For a truly epic drive one can not beat the Beartooth Pass. It is the real deal and really is special but it needs to be treated with respect. That said it is a fantastic driver's road. One thing I can say for sure is that the drivers will like the Beartooth more than the passengers will! Mistakes can be "costly".

Any way you cut it I'll be there.

Once place to consider spending a night would be Chico Hot Springs which is just north of Yellowstone in the spectacular paradise valley. It's a natural hot springs with great lodging and 5 star dining. Something to consider.

I'm in.

Dave
Davemk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2012, 04:32 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davemk1 View Post
I live in Bozeman MT and know the park fairly well. I agree with those that say the Yellowstone won't be great driving due the crowds but it is a spectacular place and not to be missed.
Mind emailing some ideas of sites? Nothing is in stone accept the dates at this point.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:23 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3dragon View Post
Mind emailing some ideas of sites? Nothing is in stone accept the dates at this point.
Roads to drive or sites to see?

Dave
Old 11-06-2012, 07:12 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davemk1 View Post
Roads to drive or sites to see?

Dave
Both would be good. I have been there twice and have some areas I know are good to go but I am not local enough to find the "off the beaten path" areas that are like WOW. No worries if not as we have a lot to do as is.

Cheers

Adam
Old 11-06-2012, 10:10 PM   #25 (permalink)

Chico is a cool place (i got married there)
the more i think about it the more i want to go.
a good excuse to take ca-1 for a ways to meet up in Sacramento...

anyone from the LA area want to take the trek with me?

AJ
Krule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:05 AM   #26 (permalink)

OK -

so let's break this into two things - driving and sightseeing -

Driving - the driving in either Teton or Yellowstone is never good. The speed limits are very low (45 mph for much of it) and the roads will be crowded during the summer. So forget sporty driving in either of the parks. The Beartooth pass is the real deal for a driver's road but you need to hit it early in the morning before the campers hit the road and try to get over the 10,000' pass. If you go early you only need to worry about wildlife - Elk and muledeer. If you leave Yellowstone and go over the Beartooth you will drop down to the sweet little town of Redlodge. Good food, lodging and shopping there. I'm not sure when the pass opens in the spring but it's late. Be sure to check the projected opening dates before making even rough plans.

There is also a road headed north out of West Yellowstone that goes up to Bozeman and that is route 191. Twisty and quick it can be a lot of fun. It is right next to a river (where the movie "A River runs through it" was filmed) and there is very little passing so slow traffic can ruin the whole thing. Rt 191, or "the canyon" was at one time designated the 2nd most dangerous road in the USA due to trucks rolling over and icy fog. June should be good but it can snow 10 months of the year here.

There are a number of great drivers roads near Bozeman. Most MT roads are open, straight and very quick but not very challenging - that said you can find great roads around Bozeman -

* Bridger canyon road from Bozeman to Wilsaw and Livingston - my favorite with very challenging roads with lots of elevation gain/loss and very curvy.

* Hyalite Canyon

* Jackson creek road

Sight seeing - this is endless. Yellowstone has the best diversity of stuff to see. If you've never seen 'Old faithful' it may be worth the wait and crowds but otherwise there are much better things to see. The madison area is great as the the boiling mud pots and grand prismatic spring. Simply stunning.

The best part of the park IMO is the Lamar river valley which runs east-west in the northern part of the park. With the exception of the road itself you'll drive on it looks like it has for thousands of years and you will have to work hard to not see a lot of wildlife. Drive slow and look around and you can see bison, black bear, grizzly bear, elk, muledeer, wolves, big horn sheep, antelope and even badgers. I've seen all of these in the Lamar.

The Tetons are wonderful too. Different than Yellowstone but HUGE. One needs to drive and take advantage of the pull-outs so that the driver can really look around. The town there is Jackson Hole and it is very touristy - some folks like that and some don't - I don't personally but you can buy lots of expensive stuff like furs and $100 cigars if you like.

The drive north out of Yellowstone toward Livingston will put you in the Paradise Valley and it's aptly named. High mountains all around with stunning views. Chico Hot Springs is there and worth looking into for lodging and very, very good food. Don't go for the cheap lodging option as it is 'rustic' at best. Pay more and stay in one of the upscale rooms and you'll love it. The hot springs feed an olympic sized pool full of hot spring water that bubbles out of the ground and flows through the pool. Really fun. Chico is just south of Livingston and about an hour from Bozeman.

One thing to keep in mind about traveling here - nothing is close to anything else and the shear amount of space and distance can be hard to reconcile if you haven't been here. In other words just because the two towns are close on the map doesn't mean much. If you are in a town you will have everything you need but when you leave town there will be nothing at all. No rest stops or quickie marts - it is open and empty. i know folks that drive 45 minutes to buy a jug of milk. I live in Bozeman so everything is close at hand but plan accordingly.

I hope that helps.

Dave
Old 11-07-2012, 08:12 AM   #27 (permalink)

That is a HUGE post. Mind editing it down and just say emailed me? That is why I wanted a email.

I garbed the info from your post and will take it in consideration in my planning. Thank you.

Side note, Feel free to invite other Euro groups. I have just add the Fiat 500 gang.
Old 11-07-2012, 08:54 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
That is a HUGE post. Mind editing it down and just say emailed me? That is why I wanted a email.

I garbed the info from your post and will take it in consideration in my planning. Thank you.

Side note, Feel free to invite other Euro groups. I have just add the Fiat 500 gang.
I think a bit of cut and paste action should get this into your email. I posted it here so everything could read it here.

I look forward to joining whoever comes.

Dave
Old 11-07-2012, 09:10 AM   #29 (permalink)

Strong interest here! I have always wanted to take the Elise to Yellowstone.
tko211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:17 AM   #30 (permalink)
Difflow Lotus Diffusers

I won't make it, I sold my car and I don't know where I'll be in June... sorry Adam!
qu1Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:54 PM   #31 (permalink)

So I had a member on one of the forums about this event offer to make decals. Below is a sample of the decals that would be available for the drive.

Not sure if we will do pick your number or assign a number. So far most people seem to want a decal number.

If you plan on attending even please make sure to fill out the Google form so i can start getting a better idea of numbers when i call the hotels towards the beginning of the year.

Please feel free to email you regional Euro car clubs to see if more people would be interested. I plan on inviting the CA Euro car marks that I know of.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:36 AM   #32 (permalink)

Here is another possible idea for a decal.

These are to be the friction type decal so you can remove it once done. These are optional if people want to do them. Let me know which one you like.

Cheers
Old 11-15-2012, 08:52 AM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:

These are to be the friction type decal so you can remove it once done.
You mean static-cling?
2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl
2005 Subaru Legacy GT Limited, Regal Blue Pearl
http://www.mnautox.com
philethier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:59 AM   #34 (permalink)

Correct sir.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:06 AM   #35 (permalink)

I wanted to wish everyone a happy and safe Thanksgiving.

So far, if everyone who has filled out the form can attend we have 23 cars and 41 people. Not too bad for a completely underground organized event. Maybe we can get enough cars and people to take over the town HAHA.

Tell your friends about the event and if you can reach out to your local and regional Euro car clubs to see if they have any members interested.

Cheers

Adam
Old 11-21-2012, 06:58 AM   #36 (permalink)
glb

Yellowstone is 2150 miles from here, ~36 hrs.

I can do that, maybe, in 5 days. Have driven straight thru from Miami to NJ a few times. (Bladder and gas gauge are synchronized...)

This may be fun. I'll check out what else to see in my (daunting) 930 miles on I90 West.

Have always wanted to see Yellowstone and surroundings.

Driving Tips-http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f100...art-1-a-49665/
Moss Emergency Line-http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f100...cy-line-36631/
Safely Piercing Wires-http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f129...esting-106438/
Bleeding Brakes- http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f101...-brakes-241138
glb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:56 AM   #37 (permalink)

A question came up if you need to attend the whole event.

Answers is NO. If you can only make half the event or only want to do half the event you can still attend. I am not holding anyone to the fire so you are welcome to come and go as you please. I will have some scheduled actives (group shots, drive areas, other being planned) that I would hope you attend but if you do not, I am not going to hunt you down ;-)
Old 11-28-2012, 11:49 AM   #38 (permalink)

If enough people from the Los Angeles area are going I'll consider. My girlfriend has been wanting to do a road trip and this sounds like good fun. I'm not too keen on putting the miles on my Elise though...
LiveToDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:50 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveToDrive View Post
If enough people from the Los Angeles area are going I'll consider. My girlfriend has been wanting to do a road trip and this sounds like good fun. I'm not too keen on putting the miles on my Elise though...
Why do you need more people to go? You bought the car so enjoy driving it.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:35 PM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveToDrive View Post
I beleve you are the only other person considering going form LA. it may be cool to meet up with some others from San Francisco by driving up the 1. I have been playing with google maps planning on leaving form LA....

MAP

I marked out a few gas stations along the way (dont want to run out of gas in death valley)
I am trying to find the most curvy route there, I prefer not having to drive along the freeway the whole time, considering no cruse control, and a lotus, ect...

so far I think it will be just me and one or both of my dogs. I have family in Ennis and will spend some time there.

AJ
Krule is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Community > Meets and events