The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

200 tires? Dunlop Star Specs? Bridgestone RE-71R?

6K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  jdawson 
#1 · (Edited)
The Toyos I have for street use and autocross use when I don't want to wear the Hoosiers are shot. (Thanks, Pat, but they are now gone)

I don't street-drive that much, but I get it out now and then. Want to have something decent at the LOG for the drives, and planning on driving the Mount Evans scenic byway.

Since these things last good enough for my street use, I'd like some bang for the buck in autocross, also. There are a few sites hereabouts that would cut up my Hoosiers too fast.

If I go to a big-track day, I run in the Novice group and drive totally-grandma, so track wear is no big deal.

Wheels are stock LSS: 16x6.5 and 17x7.5. Size suggestions, too, please.

#2 ·
RE71R. Comes in "good" stock sizes, wears well, fast @ autocross. Not sure about Dunlops, as no one seems to be using them. I'm on my 2nd set of RE71Rs this season, 4 trips to Lincoln, one trip to Utah, one trip to Salina, all kinds of local events, and the first set is not dead (500mi each way to Lincoln/Utah/Salina). I love the RE71R.

Iain

#6 ·
I used both the Z2 SS and the RE71R on the MR2 spyder. Definitely preferred the RE71R but the star spec was quite good, especially in the cold/wet. For your use either would work but I would definitely pick the RE71R. I just ordered a set for the FS car.

#9 ·
I think they're too new for any good opinions... I expect them to be similar to re-11 though

- near grip of r888, at lower temps
- greasy when pushed

but i'd love for someone who regularly participates in track days to do a review!

#10 ·
I run NT01 regularly, they are the primary street tire and time trials tire for my Exige. I like the RE71 so much I won't be buying any more NT01s. I haven't done track day sessions but after enough back to back autox runs in them, I'm sure they'll do fine on a light car like ours.

#11 ·
#12 ·
tire rack test is great for an idea of auto-x performance, but their tests don't generate the same kind of heat in a tire that running around a track would.

I notice in the TR tests they mention that the re-71r is not to be stored in below freezing temps.

#13 ·
The storage issue is common. A048s and others have this restriction.

I spoke to a tech at Yokohama and she said they weren't kidding. Something about polymers unraveling or ~.

Had to drag my tires into the basement. Less fun than it sounds.

Edit: Usually, it's 18 or so degrees.

#14 ·
Grassrottsmotorsports just did a comparo in there last 2 issues. I think I will go with the re71's next time as I am still on my Z1's which are great.

#15 ·
any details on which tires they tested and results??

#17 ·
Two different issues here.

Storage: Many of these tires cannot be stored at below freezing temps. Check with mfgr.

Grip: I experimented with the RE11s to see how far into cold weather they'd still work.

Bad idea. Below about 45 F they were very slippery. Only after a highway run (which heats up tires well) did they work decently.

That day, I put my all-seasons on.

#20 ·
I'm curious to see how the v720 performs... and they will likely be my next purchase after Solo Nats. From what I've heard, they are on par with the RE-71R and Rival S. The price makes them attractive assuming they hold up comparably to abuse.

#21 ·
I'm going to pile on for Bridgestones in the 205/45-16 & 245/40-17 sizes. I just got them a few weeks ago and did my first autocross on them over the weekend. No rubbing or fitment issues. I had been drifting down in PAX relative to some of my usual "benchmarks" (most of whom are on Bridgestones now) on the Dunlops, but I did well over the weekend. Before these I had 2-year old Direzza ZIIs (not the new Star Spec)...there is a significant difference. I noticed it mostly on launching - more revs required to spin the tires - and the way the car turns in. While I was getting my new autocross tires, I was driving around on my other set of wheels with track day tires - R888s. I would be hard-pressed to say the R888s have more grip than the RE-71Rs, and the RE-71Rs don't need much temperature. RE-71Rs might not be ideal for track days if they heat up too much, but our cars are so light, and the OP said he doesn't drive at 10/10ths at the track anyway, in which case they may work fine.

#22 ·
I bought the Bridgestonem RE-71R and I like them fine. Drove them for three hours at the Continental Divide Region practice autocross whilst playing hooky from the LOG on Saturday. Felt great. Early on when I had course-following issues, panic corrections were punished by a tire squall on oversteer and not a spin. When driven properly, they were smooth and predictable. Right at the end when I drove several runs back-to-back the last few the stick fell off a bit. Sure enough, I had finally succeeded in getting them too hot.

They feel sticky and responsive on the road. The Tire Rack test comment about them making a noise like Velcro separating over tar strips is spot-on.

I like them. Thanks for the all the comments that prompted me to buy them.

BTW, the Hoosier A7 tires are working fine from me at timed autocross events. Between these two tires, my driving talent is the limiting factor.

#24 ·
Just to confirm. On a 2007 Exige S (not drastic lowered) on stock LSS wheel, the new RE71Rs 205/45-16 & 245/40-17 fit fine?
No spacers not rubbing the wheel liners?

Thanks

#27 ·
Just depends on offset.

I have zero rubbing with 205/50/15 front and 245/40/17 rear on the following effective wheel sizes (includes spacer dimensions)

15x6.5 +24.5
17x7.5 +33

I also had no rubbing issues with the following setup:

15x6.5 +38, 225/45/15 tire
17x7.5 +39, 245/40/17 tire

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.