The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

"Bumper Guards" lower front spoiler protector

25K views 72 replies 35 participants last post by  pyro40t 
#1 ·
Does anyone have photos or info on theses bumper protectors? To my knowledge they are clear plastic pieces that you paint the inside of and attach to the car with three holes under the car and silicone on the top.thanks in advance Adam

#2 ·
I've only seen one picture, and it wasn't a good one. They should not be considered bumper protectors. They are scuff guards, designed to wear away instead of the fiberglass clamshell. They provide no impact protection; if you hit a curb you can still crack the clamshell.

#10 ·
tallon said:
So how much for painted guards? Where are you located? Do they make one for the center where the plate would go? If removed will it damage the paint? thanks
Cost was $200 out the door painted and installed. There mounted from the bottom 3-4 pop rivites. They don't glue or "seal" them. So it would be pretty easy to replace if needed. The dealer is in Los Gatos.

Hey Matt- you know how picky I can be. ;) The outside edge shows a bit. Had asked them to feather the edges, but that didn't work... I'm happy with it. Now don't have to worry as much about scraping the front end.

#14 ·
LarryB said:
A update on price, checking my paper work was only charged $164. :cool:
Larry,
We did not charge you for the painting. So, in the future, others can expect the cost of the part and install to be more. This was due to these being our first set, and more or less a test all the way around. Glad they work well for you, but others do not expect this price.

#15 ·
I've scraped up my car a bunch. I don't want the mess to get worse so I can't wait to get these installed.

Just called and talked to Ben down at SVAG ... my car goes in for 'the operation' on Monday.

#16 ·
I installed my set this past weekend. It was a pretty easy project. I was scared of drilling the 8 holes in the front cam, but I made it through without a problem. I didn't use the plastic rivets that came with the scuff guards. I could not push them through. Instead I got some similar screw in type rivets and they seem to work.

They don't stand out at all. I had mine painted Storm Titanium at Amato's here in San Diego and the color match is perfect. I was worried that it would be hard to match 3-stage paint when they were painting the back side rather than the outer surface.

#17 ·
grantcv said:
They don't stand out at all. I had mine painted Storm Titanium at Amato's here in San Diego and the color match is perfect. I was worried that it would be hard to match 3-stage paint when they were painting the back side rather than the outer surface.
If I can ask, what did they charge you for the paint? Every time I've taken a car there for a quote, it's been the highest of the quotes, but if the color match is perfect..

I'm curious.. does it look like they will collect dirt and grit? Imagine if you had some rainwater slurry pulling dust down into the seam.. would it sit there? I'm just thinking maybe some clear silicone around the edge would keep it from becoming abrasive over time.

#18 ·
Amato's charged me $125 to paint them. Not bad and I got a little bottle of touch-up paint too. I have had work done at Amato's before and they are very good - when my Audi was fixed a couple years ago it was the first time ever that I couldn't see any signs of their work - it was perfect. You get what you pay for.

Yes, they will collect dirt over time. That is why it is important that they be painted. If they were left clear they would very quickly look awful as the grime - or even just dust - would show. As part of the installation, you do need to put a bead of silicone along the top. I also added some thin padding along the bottom before I added the screws to prevent abrasion from happending over time.

#20 ·
Got the car back from SVAG a couple of hours ago.

Here's some photos of the job.

They are a little more noticeable than I thought they would be. The both also stick out from the car about 1/4 inch which you can see in the photos. :( But oh well - their purpose is functional not visual. The price + painting still came out under $300.

In one of the pics you can see the rivets underneath.

-doma

Attachments

#21 ·
doma said:
Got the car back from SVAG a couple of hours ago.

Here's some photos of the job.

They are a little more noticeable than I thought they would be. The both also stick out from the car about 1/4 inch which you can see in the photos. :( But oh well - their purpose is functional not visual. The price + painting still came out under $300.

In one of the pics you can see the rivets underneath.

-doma
IMO its not even worth 50$, this is a shitty ass job, for 100$ I could have you custom CF protectors with teflon pads...and a GOOD install

-Seb

#23 · (Edited)
Doma,

Seriously, I think they messed up with your install. Looking at LarryB's photos, the guards look like they are at least flush and attached to the body. It looks like yours were just riveted, but no silicone sealer was used to attach the top and sides. You should have them finish the job in my opinion. You may not mind, but I don't think that looks quite right. Especially from the side. Good luck.

Chris

#24 ·
ChrisStarrUSA said:
Doma,

Seriously, I think they messed up with your install. Looking at LarryB's photos, the guards look like they are at least flush and attached to the body. It looks like yous were just riveted, but no silicone sealer was used to attach the top and sides. You should have them finish the job in my opinion. You may not mind, but I don't think that looks quite right. Especially from the side. Good luck.

Chris
Add me in as another vote for "something's not right with that install." :huh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.