The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

My car is sold :( But buying a Toniq R :)

34K views 148 replies 61 participants last post by  LotusStig22 
#1 ·
A bit of a sad day with some mixed feelings.

We took the Elise to an autocross, for the first time since September. The car was flying and was unreal how well it handled and how fast it was. But the point of taking it to the autocross was to let the prospective owner test it out and it passed with flying colours.

So... the development car for SCCA ASP is now in someone else's capable hands. The new owner is Jason Uyeda, the head technical guy at Neversoft. Jason is a very good driver and proven he can build cars, the last being an Uber S2000. Jason intends on taking the car further than I have.

It is a bit sad for me, since this is the car I have had for 3 and 1/2 years. The car I drove from Georgia to San Diego in 2.5 days. The one that ran the Tail of the Dragon with Killyboy being quoted he had never seen a car that fast ever on Tail of the Dragon. The car that we did a TON of development work on, trying this intake or that header. One of the first imported federal cars. One of the first with LSD.

What is next? Well, there is the Eagle, but that will be a bit of a wait. In the meantime, I am having another car being built for me in Cornwall UK. This will be a 2.4l Duratec turbo engine Seven clone called a Toniq R. More info to follow on that. Seems it will be even more pure of purpose. No ABS, alarm, AC, heater, stereo, windshield, roof.

I might also be picking up a Porsche Boxster S for a daily driver. That is being negotiated.

I am happy my car will be in capable hands and I will not be reducing my involvement AT ALL in the Lotus community. I just will be showing up at events in my Toniq for the next year.

See less See more
#77 ·
I think it is a bit between the two, closer to Tonic..but with a slight Q sound.

"Toniq, a refreshing car"

"Toniq, its a bit clever"

#82 ·
The car designer was going to look into a top/windscreen option.

For me, I think drains and towels.

#84 ·
Questions questions questions.

First off, congratulations on the ride as a ride and a business venture. I wish you great success.

Now I want to know about the Toniq. The way-back position seems like it would be super awkward. Though it must not be or cars like that wouldn't be so popular. So I'm hoping you can articulate what it's like for the rest of us.

Keep in mind, these questions are specific to the seat position. I know there are tons of other differences between a car like this and a normal street car. But IMO those differences are easier to imagine.

* If you come from a forward position like in the Elise, Boxster, etc, do you notice the difference of being so far behind the front wheels?
* Until you adjust to it, is this difference perceived as a negative in any way or just different?
* Whether positive, negative, or indifferent, is the difference hard or impossible to adjust to? eg, are you constantly aware that you're steering from way behind the front wheels?

PS: as you no doubt know already, I really admire your choice of Boxster for a daily driver. The 07 or later S model is particularly sexy!

PPS: Not having an AC does not distinguish the Toniq from an Elise. Not having an AC button or dial does but the lack of AC is something they both share. ;)

#86 ·
Patrick, one of my first plans is to go to Calif Car Cover and get something like that made.

XP, I did not feel awkward at all in the driving position, and I am a real midengined guy. It seemed quite normal after a few minutes. I think there is even a positive thing about seeing a larger portion of the car in front of you.

Anyway, I don't feel it is that noticeable, just like I am not struck by the Elise being different since you are a little further forward. Basically a non-issue. It is just a little different and I think slightly a positive experience... and you will not be thinking about it 30 seconds after driving in my opinion.

lol at lack of AC. Yeah... part of my thought on that is I have a system in a car, I want one that works. Or just not have it all. I will not miss the AC being gone, since it barely worked in my Elise. Note that in other Elise cars, the AC worked great. Mine was never good and at times awful. I will miss the heater though... but as the Toniq guys said to me, there is never a poor weather to drive the car in, it is only a matter of being properly dressed for it. Rain, cold... its all fun.

:)

#87 ·
The biggest difference in regards to the "feel" of the rearward driving position, is that oversteer is exaggerated by being at the end of the pendulum, rather than at the center of the angle of rotation. This means, you feel the rear of the car moving around more, and you are initially quicker to react to it. It also means you get comfortable driving the car with the rear-end sliding around more. Which, personally, I find to be more fun... ;)

#89 ·
I always wanted to just drive my shifter kart on the streets. I am just getting closer and closer. :)

#90 ·
Wow Randy, I just saw this thread - surprising news but after reading all your reasons, it makes sense. And the Lotus will be in good hands from what you said. I looked at some photos of when you had the Lotus in Austin en route to California. Good memories. :)

Best of luck with the Toniq! :shift:

#91 ·
Hey Keith,

When I sold the car, I reread the thread about my journey and looked at the pics again. It was kinda nostalgic. Good times.

Maybe I need to now do a reverse trip. Drive the Toniq to Deal's Gap. :)

#100 ·
Missed this entire thang compadre!

A bit of a sad day with some mixed feelings.

It is a bit sad for me, since this is the car I have had for 3 and 1/2 years. The car I drove from Georgia to San Diego in 2.5 days.

This will be a 2.4l Duratec turbo engine Seven clone called a Toniq R. More info to follow on that. Seems it will be even more pure of purpose. No ABS, alarm, AC, heater, stereo, windshield, roof.

I might also be picking up a Porsche Boxster S for a daily driver. That is being negotiated.
We all go on in life.

You're doing the right thing. A dedicated track /auto-X'er and a Porsche to enjoy them SoCal highways.

Used to own an original Lotus 7. That was some vehicle indeed. This Toniq R. priced well? Most are having a hard-on over the Ariel these days but that car is just priced silly.

Did you ever publish your trip report from Atlanta to California?

Have fun amigo.

:up:

#101 ·
We have not worked out the pricing yet, but the Toniq sells for under 20k pounds in UK. I expect a finished car would be mid $30ks? A "roller" where you add the drivetrain for $20k???? I earlier looked at an Atom and the way I wanted it configured, was around $70k and for me, it was too much.

I did a lot of the write up on the roadtrip.
http://www.elisetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4987
Short story is that the trip became truncated when my wife was diagnosed with cancer and scheduled for surgery. I ended up doing Tail of the Dragon and then bonzai runs through Tennessee and to Austin Texas, followed by a single leg from Austin to San Diego in 19 hours in the Elise.

I hope to have a bit of longer trip on Route 66 this year, but it will be in the Toniq R. Plus a trip up HIghway 1 to WCLM.

By the way, passed on getting the Porsche (hated the shifter). Still considering some options and still shopping for the best tow vehicle and closed trailer. Business has been such that some of this stuff gets shoved down the priority list (a main reason I sold the Elise..just not enough time). I am hoping when the Toniq gets here, I can eek out more time by staffing up here.

#102 ·
That Toniq is awesome. Just making sure(even though i read some definitive posts), is it road legal? Congratulations!
After I get a motorcycle, I'll be after something like Toniq OR the new Esprit (or whatever they call it)
Makes me glad I have so many options and I dont have to go the all so common path of Lambo/Ferrari. Although I have to say I'm smitten by the new Competizione but everybody knows the Alfa will be a very finicky car.

#107 ·
We are not using the same drivetrain. We are using a 2.3l turbo Duratec motor from Mazdaspeed. We have had some meetings with Mazdaspeed and the motor will be breathed on a bit.

My motor for competition may even be more. Take a look at the World Challenge Touring Car motors.

The one thing that will also be different is that the weight will probably be slightly more. Specially in my car as I have to ballast up to meet minimum competition weights.

#111 ·
I feel that the "rectangle" in contrast is not the best choice either. To me, it works okay when the same color as the body.

#110 ·
Wow ... just came across this thread and I like it.

I have been considering a WCM Ultralight, but if this can be had for about the same price, I would definitely be interested.

I didn't see where this question had been asked/answered yet: Are you getting left hand drive or is this thing only going to be right side drive?

#112 ·
Left hand drive.

There are some other things still up in the air, primarily was how to handle the pound/dollar conversion rate. We had some ideas about sourcing more parts of the car here in the US, but recently there have been discussions with the principals in the UK to perhaps take that a step further.

#115 ·
Not really. Plans are on hold for now since I picked up the Noble. Will rethink this later in the year.

The Toniq (and some other British cars) made more sense when the economy was better. Coupled with the 2:1 pound-dollar exchange rates, the cars from UK become a bit spendy for what they are.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.