LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community - View Single Post - DIY Blower Motor Resistor Pack Replacement
View Single Post
post #15 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 11:13 AM
TimMullen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elise 323 View Post
Tim,

Must beg to differ. A properly soldered connection (no acid core solder, correct temp iron, proper tin/lead mix, etc) with proper strain relief (so the solder joint will not be subjected to mechanical loads) will provide the best electrical connection....
I beg to differ. A good solid crimped connector is stronger and provides an equal electrical connection to a soldered, with the advantage of being more flexible. There is a reason that car manufacturers crimp all the connectors.

I've also worked on electrical wiring harnesses of equipment being installed in Navy ships (college job), and had to be "mil spec certified" in soldering. All the connections were crimped with a very few exceptions, for those, we had to have very stringent strain relief (loop at the end, and the wire mechanically secured with a clamp).

Now, that is all based on a good crimp connector, and the typical crimper used by home mechanics doesn't do a very good job (the kind that squeezes both sides in so that the crimp takes on an "oval" shape). A good crimper "dents" the crimp into the wire.

If you are worried about corrosion, then you can pack the connector with dielectric grease after crimping and assembling the connector.

Tim Mullen --- There is no such thing as Touring suspension or Touring wheels.

I love being married. It's so great to find that one person that you want to annoy for the rest of your life. - Rita Rudner

Chantilly, VA http://members.cox.net/elans4/
05 Lotus Elise - Chrome Orange - No Touring - No LSS - No Hardtop - Lotus Driving Lights - Lotus "Chin Guards" - plain and simple.
94 Miata R Package - Black
72 Lotus Elan Sprint - Colorado Orange/Cirrus White

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome