LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community - View Single Post - IMPROVED A/C & HEATING SYSTEM
View Single Post
post #50 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 04:28 AM
a43656

I haven't had my Elise long enough to contribute much here, but went through a prolonged war against intake air temperatures (airbox, not cockpit) in a production-based race car, spending countless hours on track and $$$ at the dyno with data logging to make sure I wasn't BS-ing myself.

With some coaxing from a turbocharger engineer, one thing I learned is this ridiculously expensive gold stuff ...

Pegasus - Self Adhesive GOLD Reflective Heat Barrier Film

... is amazing at keeping the thing you want to keep cold from being affected by the thing that is emitting the heat. In my case, I ended up wrapping intake and cooling plumbing that was near radiators and exhaust, and I had dramatically better results doing this than using "heat wrap" on the exhaust and silver foil/fiberglass "insulation" tape on the intake plumbing.

Anyway, based on this background, I would be interested in whether Viper or anyone else thinks there are any strategic places where the high-$$$ gold stuff might be worth it in the Elise A/C mod application?

My first thought was the accordion duct shown in #3 of Viper's writeup, just because it is similar to the application I was testing.

I'm also wondering how much of the #1 and #2 gains are due to sealing of gaps versus the "insulation" (or reflectiveness?).

Any thoughts?

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome