The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Scan Tool for the Elise?

48K views 47 replies 33 participants last post by  TimMiller117 
#1 ·
I’ve googled around and searched on the forum and don’t see a direct hit … where can I find / purchase the official scan tool / code reader for our car, hopefully at a decent price. Related to this, can a generic code reader do a decent job for the non proprietary engine related OBD2ish engine error codes?

Thanks

#4 ·
i've been looking for a good scan tool as well. there seem to be a lot of options and not a lot of info. Laptop based software packages are fine by me. I found autotap and a few others, but its hard to know what to pick!

#5 ·
The proprietary scan tool kit is really expensive and as far as I could tell only has the added options of flushing/bleeding the ABS system, reprogramming ECU and doing ECU dumps. None of these I really need.

I got an Actron OBD II AutoScanner Plus, Model CP9180 at Sears on sale for $120. It reads all the codes and clears them, has an O2 sensor test capability and other nice features such as internet updates.

It works great for my needs and I can use it on my other vehicles.

Pic below.

Regards,
Wayne

Attachments

#8 ·
Hey, do I understand correctly that to bleed / flush our brakes fully we need to trigger the abs actuator??
That's correct.

The Lotus Scan Tool has a routine that opens and closes the various ports/solenoids in the ABS unit to allow brake fluid to be bled and flushed.

If you don't have the Scan Tool, you can achieve the same thing by bleeding the brakes, taking the car out on the road and braking hard enough to engage the ABS. Do that several times, then come back and rebleed the brakes.

PITA, but cheaper than a Scan Tool. :rolleyes:

Regards,
Wayne

#9 ·
I have an INNOVA Model 3100 OBD2 CAN Diagnostic tool. It is great for the Do it yourselfer like me. I have used it on the Elise and it links up to the ECU fast and easy and can show you codes for the MIL. It does not have the ABS capability. But there are various other models like Model 3160 etc. Here is a link that shows you some ideas for the various models and features.

#18 ·
I have this too. Just used the Kiwi/ITouch to read and reset my P0351 code. Pretty neat and easy to use. I have Palmer Performance Dash Command from Intunes. Have not tried Rev or FuzzyLuke.

#12 ·
Does anyone have access to a tool that *will* cycle the ABS and/or perform an ECU dump? (I bet the Lotus scan tool is the only thing that fits the bill.)

If so, send me a PM--we can eavesdrop on what it's doing and build something cheap/simple that replicates the functionality.

#15 ·
If you want to get out cheap and don't mind a very basic and crummy-looking unit, the cheapest Harbor Freight one works on our cars. Reads and erases codes, and reads monitor status. Regular price is sixty bucks; sometimes on sale for thirty.

#19 ·
FYI, by federal regulation, the OBD-II port has to be easily reachable while sitting in the driver seat on all cars.

#20 ·
Factory Scanner

Can someone please tell me what scanner lotus uses.

#23 ·
Scan tools are abundant here in Sacramento. A basic $39.99 tool can be bought at Napa that will give you a code. Then you look up the code # on the website for a description. Real cheap and will do the job. You can also pay up to several hundred for a fancier version, but in all honesty, what do you want it to do? Read and reset codes.

#28 ·
#31 ·
I'm curious of your source on this info? What exactly are you trying to accomplish? Reset codes? "Turn on" traction control? sorry to answer question with question

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.