The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Will ARP flywheel bolts 203-2802 fit the Elise/Exige?

11K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  LesAlbin 
#1 · (Edited)
I am looking for the ARP flywheel bolt kit for the Elise/Exige? ARP website does not list the bolt kit for the lotus. But I heard the ARP bolt kit 203-2802 would fit. Would anyone confirm this? Does the Elise/Exige flywheel use 8 bolts only? Thanks!

#12 ·
(Rescurrecting an old thread since I'm currently going through a flywheel swap):

Yes. The ARP 203-2802 flywheel bolts are longer than the stock bolts by about 7MM.
No. This not an issue as the depth of the holes on the crankshaft are plenty deep enough.
The sharpee mark on the screwdriver indicates the hole depth.
With the Fidanza Flywheel, the new ARP bolts only protrude 12MM

Attachments

• 675.1 KB Views: 1,097
  • 675.1 KB Views: 995
  • 675.1 KB Views: 954
  • 675.1 KB Views: 930
  • 675.1 KB Views: 953
#16 · (Edited)
Anyone order these from sector? They for a vauxhall/opel. I talked to them and said it was fine. #209-2801

I also read about the longer than stock bolts on MWR and just bought the sector ones.

These are exactly 31mm in length from end to end.

Attachments

#18 · (Edited)
Here is the engineer in me…if I had identical materials for the nut and the bolt, then I would need one diameter’s worth of threads to take full advantage (strength) of the bolt. So since we are looking at a 10-mm bolt, that bolt would have to be sticking out past the flywheel 10-mm. Since ARP makes their bolts from 200-KSI material and if the crankshaft was made from 200-KSI material, then all you would need is 10-mm of bolt engagement. I seriously doubt that the crankshaft is made of 200-KSI material. That is some pretty strong stuff! I would be very surprised if the crankshaft was made from 120-KSI steel. Some racing crankshafts are made from 160-KSI steels though. OK…if I have 120-KSI crankshaft, then I would need proportionally more thread engagement to take advantage of the full strength. I would need 200/120*10 or 16.7-mm of bolt engagement. So yes, both ARP bolt sets would work fine. But since the 209-2801 are 2-mm shorter than the 203-2802 I would choose the longer ones just to load the crankshaft threads less. The longer bolts will just ensure that the bolt broke before the threads in the crankshaft got deformed or stripped. The longer bolts are just cheap insurance. Oh, and the longer set of bolts are cheaper than the shorter ones…go figure…better and cheaper!

So…IMHO, the 203-2802 is the preferred bolt over the 209-2801.

#19 · (Edited)
actually the 203-2802 is not listed for the 1.8 2zz, it's for 1.6 L some other motor. So either one would work.

Plus the stock bolts' threading starts closer to the head. Not sure how this compares to the Opel's version.

Now where to get the ARP thread coating so I can torque to 58 instead of 85.

#22 ·
ARP does now have a part listed for the 2zz motor. It is 103-2802. Seems the only difference between the 103 and 203 bolts is that the 203s are slightly longer. BOE sells the 203s for the 2zz to allow for the extra thickness of aluminum flywheels. So long as there is enough clearance on the back side they can be used with any flywheel. Monkeywrench Racing has ARP make flywheel bolts for them that are slightly longer than the 103s so it sounds like they are pretty much the same as the 203s. Monkeywrench does specify that the flywheel bolts should be installed with Locktite on the threads and lube on the back side of the head. That the torque should NOT be done per factory specs, but rather to 70 ft-lb and that they should not be turned an additional 90 deg as some instructions indicate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.