LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community - View Single Post - HVAC Fan Resistor Pack Bypass is Successful!
View Single Post
post #23 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2012, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
yellowvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuser View Post
Thank you yellowvert for trying this and it being succesful and blacksix for the idea and sirLotus for help. Then also documenting and sharing with us.

On pic 1 there's the solid alum panel thats held by the 4 rivets.
If one was to cut the opening smaller; an area within the 4 rivets just along the perforated air holes in pic 3, then maybe the solid alum panel can just be riveted back in place, or use some type of screw/bolt for easier access in the future? Then discard the piece with ventilated holes? Is this possible, and any harm in discarding the cut out piece with perforactions
You make a good point. Had I cut in enough to allow me to use the same size panel, it probably would have been enough to allow one to re-rivet in the perf panel and then maybe add some small aluminum trim to clean it up. I will tell you that when you are standing on your head trying to get one hand back there (and then add a second little person later on to help crimp), the more space the better. But cutting it 1/2 on each side wouldn't have mattered. I think cutting it 1/2 on top and bottom WOULD have mattered. Again, in retrospect, cutting just a little less off top and bottom might work.

Sorry, thinking as going...if you cut it narrower (less off sides) you could re-rivet. I'd generally stick with all the height possible because you would need to add the trim on all 4 sides. I just don't think its reasonable to think you could cut it so clean and straight that you wouldn't notice. Lord knows I didn't but I realized instantly that that wasn't something I could do. Maybe wrong tool?

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome