The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Post your track videos here!

223K views 2K replies 210 participants last post by  friss 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, I searched LT to see if anyone started a dedicated thread to post their TRACK videos.
I didn't find one, so I'm hoping this turns into a ONE STOP THREAD similar to the "post a picture of your Lotus next to regular cars" thread. So, if you have track footage please start sharing. As an intermediate driver, I'm always looking for video footage to help improve my skills.
Who's going to start the show?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

Reactions: RBH
#36 ·
#38 · (Edited)
#39 ·
trimmed second run - YouTubeExterior view with GoPro at a Corvette Autocross event. They decided to let non-corvettes to run at the event for "time only".

#42 ·
Here you go this was last week at CMP, Kershaw SC.

#43 · (Edited)
HEY EVERYONE! I asked the moderator change the title of the "Post your GoPro videos here!" To the new title "Post your track videos here!" , to better reflect what I would like to see this thread become. So far we have some excellent posts/videos.

So, if you have footage I'd like this to be the ONE STOP thread to make it easier for everyone that might be looking. Thanks for your time.
Chris

#44 ·
My best lap last weekend on Buttonwillow 1CCW config:

Later in the day, with higher ambient temps and a slippery track, this was my time trial:

Even though the first lap isn't my fastest, it was IMHO my best effort... nearly 3 seconds faster than the closest competitor in *any* class, and around 4 seconds faster than the closest competitor in *my* class. My second lap might have been faster, but there was a yellow flag in Cotton Corners, and a slower car ahead.

EDIT: This was my first time running Buttonwillow 1CCW... I had limited practice due to a blown clutch on Friday (thanks again VSA Motorsports!).

#45 ·
Andy,
Nice videos. You're flying around that track. I like the DashWare information. Very helpful to see as an intermediate driver, still trying to figure things out.
I would love to be at your level of driving skill. All of you guys that have posted your track videos, you're helping me realize how far I have to go. I'm thinking at my rate of 4 track days per year, I should get there by the time I'm 140 years old! :)
Thanks for sharing Andy.

#47 ·
My first time at Autobahn "Country Club", full circuit

Last Monday I did a Hooked on Driving event at the Autobahn "Country Club" full circuit and had a great time. Very nice long track with many turns for our cars and would recommend the track to others. My best time was 2:49 on full circuit but I was over braking as I learn the track. Total had 4 sessions before I cooked my brake fluid.

I was the only person that had not run the circuit before in the advance group but I think I surprised the whole group with my Elise..... OK I have a few mods on my car...
Autobahn Country Club Lotus Elise BOE REV400 SC - YouTube

#49 ·
Ok so it is not a Lotus but it is close - a gaggle of Caterham Sevens and a sole Birkin - so hopefully no objections. CertifiedLotus from this forum pops up at varying times in his Exige.

Two videos from me. Filmed in June 2012 at the US East Coast Sevens Track Days annual event at New Jersey Motorsports Park - both Thunderbolt and Lightning Circuits. There was something like 10 cameras mounted on 9 sevens in varying positions over the course of the couple of days.

Cameras were:
- GoPro HD2 (quite a few)
- MD80 spy cam
- Drift HD cam
- Sony handicam
- iPhone
- Crocolis HD

Footage was recorded in 1080Hd (you will see the rolling shutter at two points), 960 48fps and 720 60fps and whatever crappy quality the MD80 records at (480?). It was the sacrifical camera hung under the front wishbone.

For sound there were multiple external microphones (ATR 3350 and AT898), internal mic on the Crocolis and for the Drift HD user error forced music to be dubbed over.

Data overlays done with RaceRender and edited on Sony Vegas. Data on some of the videos came from a Racechrono Touchscreen Pro or a QStarz LT6000

I have some other videos of Caterhams running NJMP if people want these posted here.

#55 ·
Finally ready to post some track footage. All three videos are from NewHampshire Motor Speedway. I'm in the Intermediate 1 run group. Point by is necessary before a pass can be made. The day was around 65 degrees with rain during the first two sessions. Welcome to NewEngland! Lol.
You guys in southern California have it good;-)
This was my third time out in the Lotus. I'm looking for pointers. I had a supercharged miata with Hawk Blue pads before the Elise.
I know I'm early and lazy on the brakes, and tend to pinch in going onto the back straight. The vids are shortened to 9 minutes, sessions were 20 minutes each. Thanks for your tips in advance.

http://youtu.be/tub8S6Zj0No

http://youtu.be/8lqbi-_ygSk

http://youtu.be/v_g1QNy0uE0

#58 ·
Any feedback would be much appreciated from the regular track guys/girls.
I seem to lose a lot of time especially in turns 2a, 9 & 11. Does it seem like I can stay on throttle longer and brake deeper in these corners?
9 is a bit off camber with some - g's just before, and 11 is going into the chicane before the final (12) turn onto the front straight.
Thanks in advance for your help/criticism.

Chris

#60 · (Edited)
https://vimeo.com/51111134

here is my in car of group 2 coronado festival of speed. they mixed us with cars that have have 2 or 3 time more hp (....or... they mixed pesky little under powered formula cars with the those big mean old sports racers)... as you see at the start. and to make matters worse i tore something off the car on lap 1 in the hairpin and was waiting to see which wheel would fall off.... (it turned out to be the skid plate rattling and scrapping ) anyways - here it is.

#63 · (Edited)
i have tried to upload to youtube before, and it won't host anything over 10 mins or so... so, i started using viemo instead.

wouldn't surprise me if its an iphone issue though.

edit - just tried the link on my ipad, and it works...

#62 · (Edited)
LotusCC,
Sorry it took so long for me to respond. The Elise beat all the non-corvette contenders (camaros, mustangs, RX-8 track car, bmw 335i, etc). It beat about half of the corvettes. A fair number of the corvettes were trailered in. Most importantly, it was 6 seconds faster around the track than the local president of the corvette club. He works in the same building as me, and we smack talked for a couple weeks before the event. The track had more of an "open" vibe than a typical SCCA track; I was sure it would give him a significant advantage. The fastest times were runs optimized for speed, as versus hugging the cones. At the end of the day, the fastest drivers were those who had judicious control of their throttle, with many drivers losing time (due to partial spins) in the slalom. It was the classic challenge of agility versus raw power. (don't get me wrong, the new high end corvettes can corner quite well). In the final analysis, only drivers with much more experience than me ran faster times, the difference appeared to be more the driver than the car (no surprise there for most people who autocross). For the given experience level, the Lotus was a bit faster around the track.