The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Coast to Coast in a weekend.

8K views 31 replies 24 participants last post by  Backpain 
#1 ·
Well I bought my first Lotus on Friday! I flew out of Seattle, WA at 11:55 pm Thursday with my dad and landed in Richmond, VA at around 10:30 am Friday. We were picked up by Forum member prowlerman and went back to his house to look at/purchase his 05 Elise.

I hit the road around 3pm Friday with my Dad and we drove through Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dakota, Montana, Idaho, and Washington. Essentially went coast to coast ending In Bothell, WA at 430 pm Sunday.

Nearly non stop driving with one person napping while other driving. Saturday night was the most difficult as we were sleep deprived and had limited visibility to avoid roadkill, tire blow out tread, and animals in the roadway in Montana. All in all, a crazy weekend with my dad and my dream has finally come true. 23 with a lotus, one day I might get an Exige.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
You are my **** hero! That's fantastic! Congrats. You'll always have that amazing weekend to treasure with your Dad. Someday he won't be around and all you'll have is your memories with him. Personally, I'm trying to make the most high quality memories with mine while he's still around.

Great color too! Oh yeah, just remember............don't lift!

#4 ·
Did you tape up the vehicle before the drive? If not it is going to take a lot of work to get the bugs off, and look at the vehicle to make sure there is no chips or cracks from the drive. Other than that good find on the vehicle and I welcome another lotus to WA. The only thing that I do not agree with your post is “23 with a lotus” that statement can get some negative comments from others here. Other than that get the oil coiler recall done if not preformed previously.

#7 ·
You knew what you wanted and went for it. Congratulations.

By the time you paid for the airfare, fuel, etc you probably could have shipped the car for about the same price (saving the 3000 miles on the odometer, tires, paint chips, etc), but it wouldn't have been the same.

I think I understand your impatience. Patience is a virtue (that I don't possess). Patience at your age is rare. It all worked out well and to share the experience with your Dad is a big plus.

You're due for an oil and filter change so that gives you the opportunity to learn a bit more about your car. Hopefully your Dad is there to give you a hand. A very good time to sort out the basics of the car.

Must have been a very compact ride. I'm guessing many cheeseburgers were consumed with a few fries and drinks.

Glad that you both arrived in good shape and spirits. Enjoy your new toy and be careful with it.

San

#10 ·
23? He!!, I lost my first fortune in realestate by the time I was your age!

The fact that you shared this with your Dad is really cool. I am envious because I lost my Dad 4 years ago. I often realize I am talking out loud to him on top-off evening drives in the Mountains when I see something outstanding like a great sunset...or a fantastic meadow I didn't expect.... or a hot blond in shorts. :D

Thanks for sharing the story!

#12 ·
Good for you and great to spend time with Dad!! Mine went suddenly but he is always in my mind reminding me of things....... Note quite the same but, my Mom drove my Lotus last week. It was fun to watch her be so wide eyed ;-)

#20 ·
Wow you guys are pretty tough... that must have been a brutal weekend since you didn't even stop to enjoy the scenery :bow:

I bought my first Lotus (Elise #499) when I was 23 and caught a lot of crap here. I got my Exige 5 years later and still have it.

#31 ·
I'm planning to go to LOG 36 in New Jersey this year from California. A little scared to drive that far, but I did go to LOG 35 last year..and took a side trip to Yellowstone (in total 5000 miles in 2 weeks)..this year's will be 9000 miles in 3-4 weeks. Anybody want to caravan with me :)

#32 ·
You sir, need to come up and run the Northeast YuppieRally with us in August since you don't mind long hours in the Elise. I have my Exige and a couple of other friends with Loti who do it every year and its a blast! Message me if you're interested. (This goes for any roadtrippers)

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.