LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community - View Single Post - Requests to Lotus
View Single Post
post #58 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 12:04 PM
Elysium

Quote:
Originally Posted by andykeck
Here's my request for Lotus. There are a great many requests in this thread for things that individually seem reasonable enough, but if taken in sum make it seem that we're asking for a larger, plusher more tricked-out car. If that's where the market takes the mid-level car and the Esprit replacement, fine by me. If Lotus offers some of those options for the Elise, again, fine. But I'd like for there always to be available the bare-bones, spartan, no-nonsense Elise that I love. I have little interest high-quality materials or more comfort, I want low mass, simplest solution stuff. Like the recent review of the S2 Exige said, "Small, tight and angry". Indeed! Give me that.

I'm 100% in agreement. While Lotus would be well advised to broaden their appeal to a greater number of buyers with upmarket offerings and different models, it is essential that they continue to offer an elemental, absolutely no frills sportscar. Lotus occupy a unique position in the market. My only gripe is that they haven't adequately promoted their product. Perhaps that'd be like preaching to the converted though. To soften the Elise excessively (whatever that means) would be to move closer to the mainstream market, and that could be very dangerous. Remember the 90's Elan? The fact is that the sportscar market is becoming overpopulated, what with the Boxster, Z4, TT, S2k, Miata, SLK, Vette and the upcoming Solstice and Sky. Going for a piece of that pie could prove very tough.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome