The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

357 whp 259 wtq :D

13K views 49 replies 18 participants last post by  holmz 
#1 · (Edited)
And my monster is coming together. Dyno tuning is done, a whopping 357 whp and 259 wtq. Yeah, that should be fun. As I've never built a monster like this I just had to come and post the requisite dyno graphs.

<bragging>

Text Line Slope Parallel Diagram

</bragging>

-eek-

Since that was posted pretty quick last night I figured I'd add a little detail from Phil:

Stage 3 cams
Stock Porting with Ferrea valves and eibach springs for durability.
Mahle 10.5:1 pistons dropped into otherwise stock block
Rev400 running 15psi boost
Custom dyno ECU tuning on stock ECU
ForceFed Headers
BOE Quarter Stick exhaust
Upgraded 3rd/4th gear (JUBU) in a rebuilt stock box

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
That's just what Phil sent me pretty quickly yesterday - so not sure about the A/F ratio. I know it was insanely hot there yesterday so he basically stopped in the afternoon as it was just too hot to get good readings.

Updated the post with details - I had Jeff at Transaxle Engineering rebuild my stock box with new parts and JUBU 3rd and 4th gears for strength.

-Ross

#5 ·
That graph just makes it harder to read - the 296 you're seeing is the HP at my peak torque of 259 - if you look you'll see that the HP graph continues to climb all the way to 8k revs where you hit the max of 357. I thought the same thing the first time I read it.

#6 ·
Impressive. It's refreshing to see you tracked her NA for so long to perfect your skills BEFORE jumping into the power upgrades. Most guys don't have that kind of patience!

Will you be at HPR at the end of this month? I'll be up there and would love to see this in action.

#8 ·
Thanks - when I bought the car I told myself no performance upgrades for 3 years. I hit the 3 year mark this May so it was time. I've really enjoyed beating much faster cars in my little slow car so I'll miss the look when I tell people about my whopping 140hp. 375 is definitely cheater car territory!

Be careful man, gonna be a completely new car, experience. I'm sure you know of this but every shift and braking point is going to change bigtime.
You couldn't be more right - when Frank got his car back everything was different (as everything was different, suspension, aero and power). At least I only changed power but what a profound effect that's going to have. So yes, first few days in her will be nice and gentle...

-Ross

#7 ·
Wow wee!

Be careful man, gonna be a completely new car, experience. I'm sure you know of this but every shift and braking point is going to change bigtime.

#13 ·
Check the first post, I put a few things in there and will update it fully when I get all the details from Phil. Running 15psi of boost right now.

Who is doing the tune for you?
Phil's doing it on his new dyno so I'm getting the tweaking from the master!

#11 ·
Looking great! I can't wait to see it in action this Sunday at High Plains.

#16 ·
Anytime man - anytime. I'll almost certainly be at the October C&C and will be hitting the track 5-6 more times before the season is over. New set of Hoosiers sitting in the garage ready for some fun!

#17 ·
Can't wait to see what happens if you ever get serious about this stuff :). Gonna be one heck of a fine car.

#20 ·
I've bugged Phil about it twice as I haven't seen it either!?!?!

#22 ·
He's had it for about 7 weeks - given my car has never not been at home it's been a long 7 weeks waiting. Fortunately I've had Frank's Elise in my garage under cover for most of that time so it sorta feels like my car is here when I walk into the garage. 2 days and I get to drive her finally - Phil's comment was that it's just completely over the top ridiculously insane. And that first gear is basically worthless as you have to shift into 2nd almost instantly :)

#24 ·
Well honestly that came down to cost - and to be clear the goal, for this build anyway, was always to add power and strength at the same time. For strength we did forged connecting rods, crank, pistons and a fully built stage 3 head. The only 2 things we skipped were the Nikasil coated block (since my was basically perfect) and the drysump oil system. I really hope I don't kick myself on that one - I'll most likely do a accusump myself at some point.

So it was just one of those things that morphed as we did the build. We did all the other goodies like the surge tank, rear mount oil cooler, etc. I also had the stock transmission rebuild with JUBU upgraded 3rd and 4th gears. So not a fully race trans as that just wasn't in the budget.

Then there was a lot of little stuff - some wiring clean up, full HVAC delete, clam hinge, headers, exhaust, etc. It adds up quick and it ass up big!

Make more sense??

#26 ·
Not sure if that was a typo on your part but I was at Road Atlanta, not Road America. That said I definitely want to run Road America one day and hope to get back to RA as well. Not something I'll do often given the distance and time it took. Everything lined up perfectly for me this year, not sure when that will happen again.

That said I'm always up for playing with my toys!!

#30 ·
Without some data (data logging) you are guessing.
I have data, have been using a Traqmate for the past 2 seasons

How can you make an intelligent decision without using ANY facts?
See point 1.

You probably have no solid idea or the current corning forces, nor the oil situation
See point 1.

... e.g. temp, pressure.
See point 1.

And the new suspension is unlikely to result in vastly different cornering force numbers, but how would you know?
See point 1.

And then how would you know what the effect of that was on the oiling system?
See point 1.

You could equate track seconds with $.
Or track hours with $.
But throwing money at it 'semi blindly' seems hit or miss, but data logging usually does not make the car itself go faster.
See point 1.

So seems like you did a really great job of ranting for some reason while clearly not following my threads nor asking any questions. Not sure why you think I peed in your corn flakes but oh well...

#31 ·
Picked up the car this morning from Phil - there will be a post tomorrow with lots of details but let's just say all expectations have been exceeded. By far the fastest thing I've ever driven, I drove all of 45 seconds before we loaded to head back. Track is washed out for tomorrow (I'm in Boulder where all the floods are happening).

But here's a VERY short video from today. Didn't drive it super hard, just a burst while pulling on the interstate. Consider it a teaser...

#32 ·
Well explained Ross.
(I obviously lost track of the data logging, but there have been a lot of posts in multiple threads)

Is there a way for you to have an idiot light from the logging to let you know if the pressure is going low in-situ, prior to looking at the data post-facto?
If so, then you would have some "protection" on the oil side.
And many people do not have oil issues, so maybe the pan will be all that is needed.

#34 ·
Yes, I can add an idiot light via the Traqmate but haven't figured that out. It's been on my list for a while and is now much higher. I'd love a huge red light right on the top of the dash, hell if it had IDIOT on it that would be even better!!

#35 ·
Knowing Ross, he'll go for the record right outta the gate. Oh, he'll claim to want to "take things easy / slow" and, in the words of Will Smith's character in Independence Day, "just get a feel for the old girl," but he won't. Just not this kid's personality.

He might try and argue my last point, but the fresh set of Hoosiers he has mounted up say otherwise, rather loudly I might add.
While this is a very fair (and true) point I really do hope I have the maturity to reign it in for the first few sessions at least. Given how much I have in the car right now, not only financially but in terms of blood, sweat and tears I think I'll be able to restrain myself enough to not do something stupid. That said if I don't break 2:00 at HPR my first day out I know I'll be disappointed. For those that don't know HPR 2:00 is sorta the line between fast and fast. My personal best is a 2:03 so I know a 2:00 is now attainable and in some ways should be fairly easy. It's going to be really interesting to see my Traqmate data before and after, I plan to post some threads on that.

Oh, and just so everyone knows while Frank certainly has more restraint that I do he wasn't exactly driving his slowly the first time out after the upgrades. It's been a real shame life hasn't let him get out more as we've always been evenly matched enough to have a lot of fun on track together.

#36 ·
For most of us, you are living the Big Christmas! right now. Can taste your joy through your words. Datalog might be neat, I want a camera on your eyes!

#37 ·
I want a camera on your eyes!
That's actually a great idea as I have several GoPros, etc. and could set that up easily. I should definitely setup a passenger seat face camera as that could be awesome!

#39 ·
You might look like you're on one of those vertical drop rides :/ Where no one can look cool.

#41 ·
Very interested to see how the tranny with Jubu gears holds up.
This would be a great build for my NA Elise in LotusCup :)
I sure hope the answer is "great"

Ill post a new thread if I have any trans issues...

#42 ·
First track time was today - only got about 45 minutes over 3 sessions as I wanted to go easy the first day out. Mini-review is it's amazing - it's far more balanced than I expected. While yes, I need more suspension I think I'm going to be ok on the brake side, at least for a while. While it feels "familiar" it really is a whole new car (new shift points, brake points, etc).

At Pueblo Motorsport Park my previous top speed was 112. New top speed 137.5 Ran a session with a friend in his GTS2 E36, a car that before the Rev400 would have been a touch faster on the straight than I. In this video we both bury the throttle and, well, you'll see. Let's just say have F*ck You power is nice.

#46 ·
Ross, great power. Best of luck with the new build. :up:

One question, at the beginning of the video, you appear to really be "sawing" at the wheel to make the corner/turn-in. Does the car's handling characteristics require that -- what's going on there?

#43 ·
Gents,

I want to be sure I'm understanding what my optimal shift points will be for the track. I found myself short shifting my first day out with it, for a few reasons. Mainly I can meaning I have enough torque that there's just no need to wrap it out and second there so much torque that I want to be up a gear. But as I learn the car and start to push to the limit again I want to be sure I'm understanding where I should be shifting in terms of what is my optimal torque/power is.

For easy reference here's the chart again

Looking at the chart (and damn, could those be worse colors!!!) it seems I'd want to shift around 7200 as that would put me at about 4500 in the next higher gear and I'd be near my peak torque delivery. Would you guys agree with that or am I misunderstanding/reading this wrong? Oh, and I'm sure based on my gear set, wheel size, etc we can figure out the exact answer with some formula. Not looking for that degree, just looking to see f I'm understanding it correctly.

-Ross

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.