LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community - View Single Post - My NASA TT1 Build
View Single Post
post #51 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2014, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
turbophil
Plug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cph View Post
Great vid .. Looks like a lot of fun !
Did you notice that your knee is close to making a few shifts .. I have moved my lever further away (to the left I'm my case ... RH drive) and positioned about 80mm higher .

That steering wheel looks good .. Just enough info and easy to read ... What steering rack do you run ?
I have used a flat bottom wheel previously but this was a pain at a slow hairpin on the local track ... steering wheel changed shape half way through a turn .. A quick steer rack would fix it but concerned about geo changes.
Yes, it's a blast! All new suspension and setup, reversion back to the Lotus ECU, and new aero (again) left a lot on the table to go wrong, but it's actually been smooth sailing so far

Still many things to do... one of which is moving the shifter higher... It would pretty much impossible for my knee to actually shift it. It requires a very deliberate pull/push for engagement of the sequential. You might also notice that the shifter is completely modified from what Quaife provides. The lever is a good bit shorter and that phalic looking lever knob is is a load cell to talk to the GCU...

I LOVE the wheel... AIM is so easy to interface with the Lotus ECU as well, so setup is quick and easy... The print is large, not too busy, and the pages are easy to scroll through while driving (big red buttons with positive feedback). I don't think I was doing it on that particular vid, but all through the day, I was scrolling through the screens on a lap by lap basis to monitor various items (this was just a testing day). As far as the rack goes, it's actually the stock ratio! There's one turn on that track where it's slow and greater 90 degrees. I was worried about not being able to shuffle, but it's not a problem at all. The diameter of the wheel is small enough that you've got a good bit more arm crossover available than with the stock wheel. As far as effort goes, there is a good bit of feedback of course, but not so much that it's exhausting. I think the stock ratio rack is probably perfect for this smaller wheel.

-Phil

Phil: NASA 2012 and 2014 TT1 Central Champion, 2005 GG Elige, Rev400, 485+whp REV X

2011 Pearl White Evora, BOE Skunk Works 6 SPD 435WHP || 2014 Black Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP|| 2011 White Evora Skunk Works IPS 390WHP || 2006 CO Elise, Rev400, Steet Car

www.boefab.com: We Build Champions | Products-Service-Advice

BOE ClamHinge | BOE TVS SuperCharging, The Most Powerful Track-Worthy Forced Induction | EFI Engine Management | BOE The Essential Fuel Starve Solution| BOE Lotus Tow Package| BOE New-Tech Lotus Race Engines | The Right Oil Filter for Your Lotus | Custom Lotus ECU Tuning

Pain makes man Think. Thinking makes man Wise. Wisdom makes tracking a Lotus Endurable

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome