The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Elise Service Manual for $25 from LCU.

137K views 391 replies 175 participants last post by  DWilde 
#1 ·
The Service Manual for the Federal Elise is available on the Lotus Cars USA website. You must pay a membership fee of $25 for one day, $300 for a month, or a huge amount for a year to gain access to the site. Once on the site you can download individual chapters from the Service Manual.

I purchased a one day access for $25 and proceeded to download all the sections that were available. I have not checked to see if they are as complete or are the same as the paper manual I purchased several months ago. First glance suggests all the chapters are there.

The Toyota manuals are separate and can be purchased at your local Lotus dealership. The site does include a listing of what these manuals include and the price.

Terms of Agreement prevent the uploading of the material and only license you to have one copy. Please do not ask me for a copy of my material. $25 is inexpensive.

Michael

edit to add-
I've had consistent trouble with the plain www.lotustechinfo.com link.

This one http://www.lotustechinfo.com/subscriber_new_terms.asp however has always worked for me.

YMMV.

#127 ·
I wish they would let us handle this. Simple zip file for all the PDFs. Easy shopping cart that allows you to download for 24 hours. Transfer funds to LCU less handling fee. Everyone wins.

I could have this online in 15 minutes.

Oh well....

#128 ·
Randy Chase said:
I wish they would let us handle this. Simple zip file for all the PDFs. Easy
Talk them into the parts manual too!!!

The reality is that the on-line manual is a convenience. Not all manufacturers do this. Most would rather sell us a couple hundred bucks worth of paper copies.

But it would be nice if it worked again.

Now if I could get the Toyota Engine manual - it disappeared from the European site...

#129 ·
TimMullen said:
Now if I could get the Toyota Engine manual - it disappeared from the European site...
You can download the US Celica GTS 2ZZ and C60 transaxle stuff off the US site for $10/day. It's not great but it's something and it's only $10. It's a PITA to download because everything is in a separate pdf and you have to sort through all of it to find what you want.

#130 ·
Got an email this morning from Lotus. I called the dealer they don't have them either.
Dear Mr. Brennan

Unfortunately we are experiencing problems with the server that controls
the emissions website at this time.

Although Lotus Cars USA is not currently in a position to offer the
manual in electronic format, it can be ordered in hard copy from any
authorized Lotus Dealership

Regards

Lotus Cars USA, Inc.
2236 Northmont Parkway, Duluth, GA 30096
Phone (770) 476- 6564, Fax (770) 476-6541

#133 ·
Bruce said:
You can download the US Celica GTS 2ZZ and C60 transaxle stuff off the US site for $10/day. It's not great but it's something and it's only $10. It's a PITA to download because everything is in a separate pdf and you have to sort through all of it to find what you want.
I did that, but it was a major pain in the neck. It also has the 1ZZ and the 2ZZ engine mixed in together, so you have to "skip" various sections (make sure you are reading the right one-eek- ). I'd still pay the $25 or so to get the ones off the European site if I still could...

#138 ·
Anybody have the Toyota manuals? I'll happily sign up on the Euro web site and prove I spent my money if some on wants to send my a copy...

#139 ·
TimMullen said:
Talk them into the parts manual too!!!

The reality is that the on-line manual is a convenience. Not all manufacturers do this. Most would rather sell us a couple hundred bucks worth of paper copies.
Not so.. they do it because they are required to by EPA regulation [Federal Register: June 8, 2001 (Volume 66, Number 111)].
This came in force during 2003 and requires that Automotive Manufacturers make available emission related service and repair information for online viewing along with information concerning training, special tools, and certain diagnostic and reprogramming aids.
This is most easily addressed by simply making the service manuals available. There is also a cap on the fees, though I can't find a reference. I think that $25/day is the maximum.

In any case, for every time Lotus declines a sale, someone somewhere slips a ZIP file by email quietly through the night..

#142 ·
My mistake was not doing it right away as well. I figured it would be an easy $25 Christmas gift for someone in my family to give me. Little did I know the site would be down well before Christmas. :(

I'm down with making a $25 donation to Lotus or charity in exchange for the PDF. :)

#144 ·
I noticed the http://www.lotuscars.com/ page was last updated 11/29/05. Is that when the "Service Information" link stopped working?

Does anyone know if the problem is with the link on that page or if it's somewhere else on their server?

Did anyone who accessed the service pages save a bookmark or still have a direct link in their browser history? Perhaps there's still a way to get the manuals from Lotus.

#148 ·
help is on the way...

I talked with Dave Simkin today about the lack of service manuals on the website. He indicated that there was a server problem and that he expected the problem would be resolved later this month.

Sounds like they know there is a problem and are working on it.

Given past performance of the LCU website, I can imagine that what is easy for some of us to fix, is difficult for the originators.

If anyone is willing to get copyright permission from Toyota and Lotus, I am sure some of us might be able to make the material available.

Michael

#149 ·
sandsmuseum said:
I talked with Dave Simkin today about the lack of service manuals on the website. He indicated that there was a server problem and that he expected the problem would be resolved later this month.

Sounds like they know there is a problem and are working on it.

Given past performance of the LCU website, I can imagine that what is easy for some of us to fix, is difficult for the originators.

If anyone is willing to get copyright permission from Toyota and Lotus, I am sure some of us might be able to make the material available.

Michael
They told me that back in November. The same guy that set the time table for the US release of the car must be the same guy in charge of the server. :shrug:

#150 · (Edited)
The address' that Bill B and BraFish have listed above are correct as google still has cached versions of these in its memory.

Thank you for your efforts Michael, and keep up the good work, your site is a fabulous sorce of info. The lack of these manuals on line has made it diificult for some of us who like fiddling or who need to do some minor adjustments.
Andy

#151 ·
When there is a link let me know. I would like a download as well. I dont have a problem sending $25 to Lotus if we can get permission to share it from somebody.....

Tony V
www.lotusowners.com
tvacc@lotusowners.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.