LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community - View Single Post - BMW Wheel Bolts = Perfect Fit! And they are Black!
View Single Post
post #92 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Stan
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchT
I purchased the black bmw bolts from bavarian auto what ever, the quality seem excellant, but I feel that they tend to loosen up more than the factory bolts. (explaination) I ran the car on the track with my ssr and 048 with the lotus factory bolts, and locks, set to 77-78 ft lbs, never had any issues, I switch to the bmw bolts for easy of service, no stripping only one tools etc, I notice after cooling down the lugs had to be tightened more often than the old lugs, I would after each track session let the wheels cool, and re torque before the next session, and yes one or two lugs on each wheel would be less than fully torqued. Now this might be due to the heat then cooling of track conditions, but as a precaution , I now check everytime I go out for a session, I do not know if it is the ssrs or the lugs. probably a good habit anyway.
Mitch, you should ALWAYS retorque before each session. Check oil. Check tire pressures. Exaimine tire treads, especially the outer edges. Glance at the pad thickness. Make sure coolant level is normal. Etc.

This has nothing to do with the bolts. If you don't retorque after sessions the alloy wheels compression yield. Aluminum gets softer with heat. That is, the bolt did not unwind itself. Rather, that which it was fastening moved/squished. All alloy wheels do this. If you have your car serviced and only drive on the street you should still retorque a time or two until the readings stabilize. After a day or two and about 100-200 miles they will stay steady. Normal.

Last edited by Stan; 02-21-2006 at 11:28 AM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome