LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community - View Single Post - 1FASTMX5's Monkey Wrench Racing Turbo Nightmare
View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Lotus F1

Exhaust manifold has developed a leak which will in all likely will crack and become larger and fail over time.

Exhaust Down-pipe missing a bolt

Turbo flange missing bolt that will required total removal of exhaust manifold. This was due to improper securing of bolts.

Water Injection removed and returned, as it contributed to rough idle issue.

Car boost pressure was agreed upon from the beginning to be set anywhere from 6-7psi max. I was told by you that it never went above 9psi even though the boost gauge indicates 9+ psi. This was not the case. Testing shows that the car does indeed exceed 9psi (up to 12-13psi at higher RPM) Even at 9psi this was not what I wanted. The inclusion of water injection was for further protection and not for higher boost settings. Not to mention the overall design and limitations of the intercooler cannot safely handle 9psi. The cause of boost control problems…installed actuator arm not properly installed (bent and binding). The other issue causing boost creep is the fact that no chamber was designed in the manifold to better facilitate the flow of the wastegate exhaust. Air from the wastegate slams into a solid manifold plate and has to divert 90 degrees to be evacuated. Wastegate should have been ported to further help flow characteristics.

Manifold poorly constructed…

Exhaust leaks, see soot marks, every runner was leaking
Machined grooves present in the manifold flange...they are about 1/16 th of an inch. Caused scoring on the head

Downpipe neckdown and hack welding

Poor design flaw in allowing an exhaust down pipe to come into contact with a cold side intercooler pipe. It is very inefficient design flaw and could possibly be damaging and lead to premature engine wear and damage. Although the exhaust piping is wrapped it should never rest on the cold side of intake air! Due to the Intercoolers very small and thin profile and low capacity, it easily becomes heat soaked and Is ineffective

Super cheap and inefficient intercooler here is a comparison against a properly sized intercooler

The head studs were only 1/4" into the head while the hole was 3/4" deep and that caused a stud to strip and pull out...AFTER we repaired the manifold and put the turbo back on for a third time. That almost caused the head to need to be pulled and repaired!

After many missed deadlines and excuses. I was promised a top notch job worthy of giving them a 50 thousand dollar Lotus and 4 thousand dollars. Here is a video of how the car ran after 7 months and after 6 hours after delivery

When my car codes where downloaded after i got the car back from MWR it seemed like it would never end... Here is how the car was delivered to me

P0500 Vehicle Speed Sensor Malfunction
P0102 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Low Input
P0103 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit High Input
P0118 Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit High Input
P0113 Intake Air Temperature Circuit High Input
P0328 Knock Sensor 1 Circuit High Input (Bank I or Single Sensor)
P0076 ???
P0508 ???
P0141 02 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 2)
P2648 ???
P0354 Ignition Coil D Primary/Secondary Circuit Malfunction
P0172 System too Rich (Bank 1)
P0134 02 Sensor Circuit No Activity Detected (Bank I Sensor 1)
P0140 02 Sensor Circuit No Activity Detected (Bank 1 Sensor 2)
P0500 Vehicle Speed Sensor Malfunction
P2647 ???
P1302 ???
P0128 ???

Now thats a freightening amount of OBD2 check codes to sort through. I expected one or two but damn. My entre electrical harness had to be rechecked and spliced.

I got beat up pretty bad when you consider how much damage my car recieved and how long it was gone. I also incurred financial losses to which they couldnt care less about. The customer service I recieved from them IMHO could not have been any worse. So this is just the cliff notes version of my Turbo nightmare that until just recently has finally ended thanks to Hass Turbo. We had tried to fix the MWR system but slowly we uncovered so many problems that I decided that the kit was beyond repair.

Last edited by Lotus F1; 04-26-2006 at 10:57 AM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome