The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Nifty new engine lid contraption: The LIDbone

32K views 174 replies 82 participants last post by  XtinctElise 
#1 ·
I while ago we looked into creating some sort of strut to hold the engine/trunk lid up on the Elise like on the Exige. However, we never found a solution that we really liked. They were too heavy, too expensive, or just not quite right.

So then our awesome fabricator said: "Why does it have to be a strut? I can design something mechanical that will do the same!" So we gave him the go ahead. Then he came back with this video :mw: : http://www.sector111.com/images/products/interior/lidbone/lidbone.avi

So we thought it was unbelievably sweet. We made a few slight mods to this prototype, but it functions all the same. I've had the prototype on my car for about a month now, and everytime I open the lid, I'm still amazed at how easy it is to prop it open. It takes an overly complicated trunk opening technique and makes it a snap. What do you all think? We should have a bunch in stock next week.

#78 ·
Dro said:
Hey "The Dro"!!!! There is already one "Dro" around here and has been for quite some time.

Please change your name so as not to cause confusion.

Thanks,
Dro

EDIT: I guess I should consider imitation the sincerest form of flattery. ;) But still....
I had no idea there was another "dro" out there!
No offense but I don't think Im going to change it since Dro is my real name:shrug:
Im sorry ahead of time if this causes confusion with other forum members.
I will do my best to distinguish myself.

All the best

#80 · (Edited)
Just recieved and installed mine, works great! I'll post up photos later.

Its later now ;)

#85 ·
The Dro said:
I had no idea there was another "dro" out there!
No offense but I don't think Im going to change it since Dro is my real name:shrug:
Im sorry ahead of time if this causes confusion with other forum members.
I will do my best to distinguish myself.

All the best
I don't think it really matters what your real name is. I'm sure there are lots of guys named John on this forum, but if they were all known as "John", "The John", "A John", "Some John", etc. it would be confusing, right?

#87 ·
Dro said:
I don't think it really matters what your real name is. I'm sure there are lots of guys named John on this forum, but if they were all known as "John", "The John", "A John", "Some John", etc. it would be confusing, right?
Not really. You're Dro. He's The Dro. That's better than all the common names I deal with at work.

#89 ·
darkSol said:
Has someone weighed the kit yet? ;)
Yeah.

LidBone = "Not Much" + "Not enough to matter no matter how much of a nerd you are"

;)

Seriously though, can't be more than one pound.

#95 ·
Just polished mine! Ohh! That looks good...made quite a mess. Ever polish one off with a Dremel?-eek-

#97 ·
I started to put it on but decided to wait until I put the Fujuita intake on tomorrow. Might be an easier job?:shrug:

#98 ·
Rugbyduck said:
I started to put it on but decided to wait until I put the Fujuita intake on tomorrow. Might be an easier job?:shrug:
I'd suggest installing the LidBone first as it allows the lid to open a little further in the static position vs. the prop rod. Should give you a tad more room to work.

#99 ·
Upon second thought , you may be right. Unfortunately, it's raining now! Lid-Bone going in...Fujita, not today!

#101 ·
initial building of lidbone

i noticed that the nuts don't screw on my hand when putting the lid bone together, has this happened to anyone else

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.