The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Airbag light reset - Anyone tried the Opcom tool?

13K views 29 replies 16 participants last post by  Obeisance 
#1 ·
My battery went low over the winter & it's set the airbag light, dealer can't see me for 5 weeks...:facepalm

btw confirmed that airbag light on means that the airbags are disabled.

The AutoEnginuity tool I have does not support the body modules, has anyone tried the a Opcom tool? This assumes the SRS module is a GM unit as it is in the Eliges.

#3 ·
Hmmm... My airbag light came on when my battery was low as well. I just assumed it was just the idiot light, and that the airbag was still working. That means I've been driving for months with no airbags. Guess I'll have to get off my duff and get that fixed.

#5 ·
only OBDII codes can be scanned all the rest are Lotus Techcentre only, was thinking of buying one but you have to update it every week to keep the license valid and the upfront cost is not cheap. the low voltage code for the SRS system sucks you would think once the issue has been corrected it would reset but no you have to go to dealer just to clear it, never heard of such a (BS) thing.

#7 ·
That thread is about an Elise, what makes you think that the Opcom works on the Evora?

p.s. I have ordered one anyway - they're only $20 on eBay, but would be nice to know if it will work.

#8 ·
Please let me know as mine popped on after a dealer dash part replacement under warranty, and I haven't had time to make it to Orlando...and considering it will cost me $20 in gas....

#10 ·
I've had a piece of electrical tape over the air bag light on the track Elise for years after pulling the airbags. Just lazy I guess.

#11 ·
airbag ecu is totally different from engine ecu.
if airbag ECU is GM like in elise and i think it is as lotus recycle like in elise many parts from other car it should work with no problem. Let us know. In elise u have to select Vauxhall astra from 2004 to attach the airbag ecu.

#14 ·
The tool is coming from China (slow boat from...:facepalm) & should be here next week. As soon as it arrives & I have chance to test it I will update here with the results, hopefully next weekend...

#15 ·
I have it, and I think it sort of works, but I haven't gotten mine to clear. It shows my circuit at 1 ohm, where I think it should be about 2. It will clear the code for a split second, but it immediately returns. I think mine might actually be a connector not fully seated, rather than the OP-COM not working, but I haven't taken the time to investigate further.

It's probably obvious to most, but these cheap units are Chinese clones and not the real deal.

Attachments

#18 ·
I didn't realize the post was for an Evora, but for reference, I managed to get my Elise cleared with by properly attaching the airbag connector. It has some weird locking clip that I apparently only had half way engaged. I was on autopilot at the time I hit the "clear codes" button, but I think the code my have actually cleared itself without me having to use the tool.

#17 ·
Looks to be KO...

I had a quick go with the Op-Com yesterday & it would not communicate with the Airbag module... I will have another go before abandoning the effort though... Will update either way...:confused:

#21 ·
My advice, don't mess with scantools, especially concerning airbags, go to a dealer with an official Lotus scantool and get it fix, works for my airbaglight, it is out and stays out.

#24 ·
Let me make an update on this thread

- first op-com work on elise as airbag ecu is a standard gm ecu. Personally tested , if you search other user report same success. Select vauxhall astra from 2004 to connect ecu. Tool also Give you live data about voltage of each component so would be easy to test for defect parts. To Help the airbag squib is same from Opel corsa b . Just look in ebay for "corsa b airbag squib"

- evora should not have the gm ecu but different One . Anyway i''m not sure in this .. If someone can post a pic with the model bumper of the ecu i can try to understand if there possibility it works

#25 ·
Any idea where this is on the evora? My car is apart right now, so I can probably check

#28 ·
My passenger airbag light went on and off for a few days and then stayed on. I took it over to AutoEurope, where they took off the dash and cleaned the contacts. Light was off for a few more days and now is back on. AE wants to replace the wiring harness ($$$), hopefully without having to replace the bag as well ($$$$$). Any thoughts, suggestions?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.