The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Why so many '05s?

5K views 27 replies 20 participants last post by  Gizmo3000 
#1 ·
The vast majority of Elises I see for sale are 2005s. Is this because Lotus imported a much larger number of that model year, or do people just keep their '06+ Elises?

#5 ·
I knew the drop off from 05 to 06 and then the huge fall from 07 on, but seeing it laid out like that - wow, what a disaster. Obviously the financial crisis had something to do with it, but apart from that and marketing, what else explains it?

Doesn't bode well for the 2020 reintroduction of the Elise...

Tach it up - where do the numbers come from?

#11 ·
I feel like it was a bunch of people said that they wanted a lightweight, agile sports car (which they got) and realized that what they really wanted was a nice-looking GT car which was easy to live (get in and out of) with and had creature comforts.

Seeing people talk about Lotus most places on the internet always makes me sort of cringe and think "what you really want is a luxury car, and you care more about impressing people than actually driving". Also, there's always the 7' 4" guy who always chimes in complaining about how he doesn't fit.

Reactions: me73
#17 ·
Yes. It's kind of funny sometimes to see people posting here something along the lines of WTB: 2006 (or any year, for that matter) Elise. Must have touring and LSS, hard top, low miles. Must be XX or XX color only. Must be within driving distance of X. Cash in hand (I've never known anyone who didn't insist on money when selling their car, so I'm not quite sure why so many people add that).

It's as if they think there are a bunch of these cars out there.

#24 ·
Although the chart is a rough estimate, it's way off.

These are just rough estimates also but closer than the chart indicated and are for all of North America (2005 was just US)

2005 Elise - 2400
2006 Elise - 1477
2007 Elise - 750
2008 Elise/SC - 250
2009 - Lower than 250
2010 - Lower than 2009
2011 - Lower than 2010

The Exige's are easy. We know it hovered around 1000 total between 2006 and 2011

#25 ·
I've seen three seriously injured at track days alone. Not sure if they were totaled, but they didn't look good. At any rate, that chart depresses me. I seriously think if I totaled my Elise, I would run back out and get another one. It's a finite, non-renewable resource. Federal regulations will never again allow a road-legal car like this. Ever. Gotta keep these cars healthy and right side up!

#28 ·
It is interesting how, considering 2006's account for over 20% of sales, they do seem to account for less than that percentage of cars for sale on the market.

It would be interesting to know how many 2005's and 2006's are still owned by the original owners.
(I got my 2005 back in 2007 from a guy who bought one and then realized it didn't work for him).

I agree,. I think quite a few people bought their 2005's sight unseen, only to realize these cars weren't quite as fancy/comfortable/practical as they had expected- and then unloaded them on the market.
Then in 2006, these lower priced used 2005's were much more appealing buys for guys wanting track cars, weekend cars, etc.
meanwhile, brand new 2006's were available in showrooms for the 2nd wave of educated buyers (who then had online forums and reviews to read) to check out and test drive.- and pay a fair amount more for the car they wanted. - so that would be my guess as to why more 2006's are held onto.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.