The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

New York Times - For Lotus Cars, a New Chief and a Return to Its Vaunted Lightness

3K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  gooberschnot 
#1 ·

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Good find. Thx.

#4 ·
Two interesting points from the article, below. Thoughts?

“In the U.S., Lotus faces a market largely unfamiliar with its brand or product, much like Fiat faced five years ago,” Karl Brauer, senior analyst at Kelley Blue Book, said. “That doesn’t mean it can’t succeed, but it will need both a product plan that caters to U.S. buyers as well as a marketing plan that rises above the automotive cacophony already assaulting American drivers.”

George Peterson, president of AutoPacific, an automotive market research and consulting firm based in California, suspects Mr. Gales has his work cut out for him.

“It will be very difficult for Lotus to re-establish a solid position in the U.S.A. because of their historic stops-starts,” he said.

#11 ·
And manager of "They Might be Giants".

I suggest all look up one of his best pieces, "My Brave New Face".

#9 ·
The issue is "niche". Niche is limited and will never be big. Niche is risky and volatile. Safety laws directly compete with Chaplin's motto. It will be very hard to sustain without giving up one of the following good traits about Lotus: lightness, steering feel, handling, low cost.

Funny thing is that gales mentions profitability with the Tesla roadster, so why not focus on electric? Detroit electric and Tesla has used Lotus platforms. Lightweight lithium phosphate batteries are lighter and safer. A hybrid should be considered.

#13 ·
Good article that shows hope for the future. Lotus needs to ditch the aluminum chassis and embrace carbon fiber. "Entry level" Elise is important but so is one halo car. I wonder how well a fun commuter hatchback would sell? I'd buy one if it was in the Mini Cooper price range.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.