LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community - View Single Post - Heater Core Bypass Mod (Tony Wa) [How To]
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2006, 07:05 AM Thread Starter
Tonywa28

Here's the kit, parts list and instructions

Thanks to Rob (who pointed out the obvious vacuum source, DOH! ), I re-invented the whole thing and it is working great for me. One hour ride yesterday that was nice and cold. Heat comes on very quickly after switching out of bypass mode. Best thing is there are no real custom parts. I have an extensive write-up with pictures, parts lists, cost and diagrams atttached. I would be willing to put some kits together if people are willing to reimburse my time and shipping. Maybe $25 bucks (?) above parts and shipping for running around and packaging. My feelings won't be hurt if no one is interested. I'd like to use the $$ to start working on a short shifter solution (at the transaxle, not the lever).

Now to the disclaimer. This mod works great for me. I can't promise it will work for everyone, but I don't see how it could hurt. Easily reversible if so desired. Use at your own risk....affect on warranty unknown....your mileage may vary....CMA...CYA.....

BTW - I see no difference in indicated coolant temperature with or without the bypass

I think we should get a handful of testers (2 or 3) to check their results before we go wild with this mod. I sent Rob a preliminary document and I think he's working on an install now. Hoepfully he'll post results.

To the poster with 226 degrees. That sounds like a problem with your specific car. I've never seen 200 degrees and almost never see 193 (maybe 2 or 3 times in almost 2 years). Check you fluid levels, check for vacuum leaks. Use may want to try some Red Line Water Wetter (I'm a believer).
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Introduction- Parts List-System Diagram.pdf (319.8 KB, 3571 views)
File Type: pdf Heater Bypass Section 1.pdf (357.4 KB, 2725 views)
File Type: pdf Heater Bypass Section 2.pdf (278.2 KB, 2420 views)
File Type: pdf Heater Bypass Section 3 Final.pdf (145.4 KB, 2128 views)

Tony W.
05 Elise (Stage II, FrankIntake CAI, heater bypass)
04 MINI S (heavily modified)
06 IS350
69 Lotus Elan S4 SE - (orig black badge, weber, etc)
59 Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite (heavily modified, 70WHP)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome