The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Black Sheep Embarrassing Offspring From Otherwise Upstanding Automotive Families

3K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  brgelise 
#1 ·
Was featured on MSN Autos, but came from Car and Driver, the M100 is on pictures 8 and 9 of the slide show, I still don't see why they think it should make the list, text follows:

Car and Driver
When people consider the 1990s, they tend to begin with Kurt Cobain and end with Britney Spears. But the first 18 months or so of the decade, coupled with the last three years of the 1980s, were a profoundly odd time. Remember Kris Kross and their back-to-front fashion? Lotus, it seems, was totally onboard with that microtrend, resuscitating the Elan nameplate and equipping it with an Isuzu powertrain that drove the front wheels. Aside from the company’s experiments with four-wheel drive in racing machines, no Lotus had ever had power routed to the front wheels. And as of this writing, no Lotus has done so since.

Lauded at the time for its excellent handling despite its unconventional drivetrain—available in 130-hp naturally aspirated and 160-horse turbocharged versions—the M100 Elan was the result of a significant amount of cash dumped into Lotus by its then-steward, General Motors. The General’s stake in Isuzu explains how it wound up with that powertrain (and, oddly, how Isuzu Impulses wound up with “Handling by Lotus” badges slapped on them). In a quizzical postscript to the M100 story, when the car’s run finished in 1995, Kia bought the design and produced its own version until 1999. Oh, if only Mahindra had done the same for the Esprit Turbo. —Davey G. Johnson

See less See more
#3 ·
Should have been on page 1!

I was horrified when Lotus decided to call this abomination an Elan! There is nothing 'Elan' about it. Colin would not have allowed it, I'm sure, as it goes against his aesthetic and engineering principles, IMO :)

I now have to say I have an original Elan so as to distance myself from this 'thing'. A Room 101 slam dunk.

Just my personal opinion as some people must like them, each to his own I guess.

#5 ·
Thank God I didn't listen to any of the M100 Nay-Sayers! I've owned and driven many Lotus cars (Esprit, baby Elan, Elise, Seven) and my M100 is the ONLY Lotus I've owned that my wife actually likes. Creature comforts of A/C, large trunk, convertible top, ease of entry/exit, great looking, and zooty! I easily keep up with all my Lotus friends on "spirited" drives and they are amazed how this 25 year old car runs right along with the Eliges without missing a beat.
Yeah, it's powered by an Isuzu powerplant, but who cares! Isn't the Elise/Evora using a Toyota powerplant??
Yeah, it's front wheel drive, but who cares! It handles equal to or better than other Lotus cars I've driven.
Until you've owned and driven a well sorted example of this Lotus classic, stop perpetuating false claims or poor reprints of dated material by sided competitors.
Happy Motoring! :)

#7 ·
Dean, very, very funny!

While I was unhappy about the "Elan" name, people have - and love - these cars.

K?

#8 ·
Since I was a kid in the '60s, I wanted an Elan. Nothing handles like an Elan! In beginning my search after all these years, I've heard RAVES about the M100.

How do I choose? It won't be a go-to-work car, but I don't want to wonder, Will it start - - and again later when I want to go home?

#11 ·
It was a great car. Too bad it didn't last and the motor was actually a highlight!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.