The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

ABS light comes on only in the afternoon

4K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  glb 
#1 ·
2005 Elise with 58k miles.

When I drive to work in the morning, the ABS light comes on at start up, then after a few seconds turns off with the rest of the tell tale lights, and does not come on for the rest of the drive (about 25 min). In the afternoon, the light comes on at start up and does not turn off for the entire drive. No other tell tale lights are on.
This happens every day, regardless of the weather, for the last few weeks.

Has anyone ever had this type of intermittent problem? Does this error code get logged, in case the dealer scans the car and the light isn't on?

#3 · (Edited)
Yes, it was very random as in not everyday and over the corse of a year it would come on more consistently. Would throw a bunch of codes that could only be read by the official Lotus scan tool. I'm having to replace my abs control unit and possibly the lower portion as well. I'll know more once the car is up and running again. My unit looked flawless and all coils were in good condition, so I'm wondering if in fact it's lower portion that went bad. Time will tell.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#4 ·
Oh,

BTW check your sensor wires and connections and get the codes read before taking the +\- $1400 dollar plunge.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#5 ·
The ABS fault light is not the same as brake fault light. Only the latter should come one with low fluid.

I had ABS light once. Cleaned the connectors behind the wheels with Deoxit. Light went out and not returned in 2 yrs or so.

#9 ·
I noticed today that for both back wheels I could access the ABS connectors with the wheels still on. So I opened them and applied some electrical contact cleaner.

I plan to remove the front wheels when I get a chance to clean those connectors.

#10 ·
I was about the remove the front wheels but then I noticed that those ABS connectors could also be accessed without removing the wheels. I just needed to angle the front wheels sharply forward and to the left for the driver's side or to the right for the passenger side.

#11 ·
Fine, David. But, I recommend pulling the wheels anyway, so all the wires and areas can be inspected.

#14 ·
Good.

I am right on rare occasions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.