LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community - View Single Post - Aston Vantage 2018
View Single Post
post #24 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 09:15 AM
boxerman
boxerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by me73 View Post
It's just called slate blue. The interior is brown and tan (bitter chocolate and sandstone, the names for colors,)

I've never driven a non-power pack Vantage, but I have to disagree that it's not fast enough. Mine makes more than 400 hp with the factory power pack and a tune and it's way past adequate. I think the major dig on the stock engine was that Aston had a pretty lazy map for the throttle response and used a relatively heavy flywheel. This is the major improvement in the tune and there's flywheel/clutch options that help alot.

The real surprise is that the car really has fantastic handling, very sharp responses and 49/51 F/R weight distribution with the dry sump engine way back behind the front axle so it's very neutral. The steering feel is also great. We're Lotus people, right, so we know that there's alot more to a car than power.

I also need to disagree a bit on the interior. There is really nothing cheapish about it. Everything is either covered in leather and alcantara or is real metal (save for the upper console which was plastic in some models). Everything that looks like metal is, and everything that looks like leather is. Even the steering column is leather wrapped.

Three things I'd change, I'd drop 400 pounds, I'd make it a little more narrow for maneuverability (although those wide hips are fantastic looking) and I'd change the front sightlines to be able to see the front of the car. Aston didn't do any of these, instead the car is bigger and just as heavy.
Great comments, I am was not familar with the powerpack. The changes make sense which begs the question as to why aston didnt make it that way in the first place.

Just looking at your interior pic and from memory of the one I went in, the gear shift surround is cheapish hard plastic, the inside door handles felt fiat and a few other egregious bits. Not a deal breaker but they could have and should have gotten all the touch feely buts right. The interior though is clean, unlike the overworught tarts handbag that is the new one.

As for steering feel and handling I'll take your word for it. No reason though for the ride to be so harsh.

As for sightlines, thats the price of great styling, we cant have great lines and proportions as well as honda sightlines.

The old vs new car reminds me of what I saw just yesterday. A new dayglo green and black Mclaren 570 being followed by a mint 928 S4. One was just crass and the other really classy great looking and appealing. I wonder what it says about our current society that modern fast cars are so obvious and crass. I guess they need to look really really fast while the paddle crowd drives them in traffic at the speed limit.

Anyway It seems like we have lost Aston, all thats left now is the Miata and Lotus, well there is the new renault alpine but you cant get that here. Lotus fortunatly keeps making all the right noises about keeping its mojo. The Cayman Gt4 I also hear great things about and they look decent. But the classy front engined Gt seems to have died with the last vantage.

I've long maintaned that the aston vantage is the futie classic collectable. Hadnt thought of a powerpack car before, always assumed the V12 was the only one to get, but now you have me thinking, and Ill bet a v8 powerpack is reasonable to buy. How has it been to keep running?

I

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome