The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Block off oil cooler vents to improve aerodynamics?

4K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  mwehnes 
#1 ·
I removed my front oil coolers in exchange the BOE rear oil cooler solution. After looking at my Exige at the track this weekend I began wondering if I should block off the oil vents on the front clam to improve aerodynamics?

Doesn't seem to make much sense flooding all that air into the wheel well anymore. I have the BOE front brake cooling solution as well.

Thoughts?

#4 ·
Yep, that one.. the old one they apparently don't sell anymore.

#5 ·
We stopped selling the kit several years ago... a bit labor intensive for the price we felt we could charge and just had to take it down....

As for block the oil cooler whole, yes... block them. On my personal carbon-fiber clam, we did not punch them out if you look closely...

https://www.boefab.com/blogs/rides/57303235-phils-2015-tt-build

-Phil

#6 ·
I blocked mine by using the intake as a mold and filling it with expanding foam. Definitely took some practice to get it right, but now I can just pop them in and out very easily (important for me since I still have the OE coolers and just need to block them to warm up)

#7 ·
I cut out a piece of heavy vinyl mat to block the left cooler.

I experimented with blocking everything (radiator and coolers) using heavy duty
clear film (it's 1 foot wide). The result was the temperature gauge quickly increased
within about 5-10 minutes of 70+mph driving.
I cut a small slit in the film covering the
radiator and the temp reduced a bit. Based on this experiment I don't think the
radiator grille needs to be so large. The film covered about half of the grille opening
resulting in normal temp readings of about 188-192 (75-80 degree day)

I made spats for the front tires as well...

-Robert

#8 · (Edited)
Looking to move to a Laminova cooler and get rid of the front oil coolers. Was thinking about utilizing the front ducts to help cool the front brakes. Reverie currently sells the parts to do this but from what I am reading here it sounds like the effort/cost may not produce any noticeable results in longer brake life and performance. Am I reading into this correctly or is adding direct venting to the front brakes beneficial?

Links to Reverie info

Pair of clam side ducts

Flexible 2" hose

Pair of brake side ducts

Installation Guide

#12 ·
I get the logic and I think swapping pads out without also changing the rotor is not a great idea. You're not going to get ideal braking with a track/street pad on the track or on the street, it'll be ok but not great. I've ran the stock pad and the Ferodo 2500 on the track and they didn't over heat in 30 minute sessions. I'd still suggest going with the SS pistons and a good brake fluid and give it a try before trying to source a brake cooling setup. If you can fab up something cheap yourself it might be worth trying it. I just run my track pads on the street and the car slows down just fine, it'll wear the rotors faster though I'm sure.

#13 ·
I'll jump in with my $0.02. My '06 Exige came with the BOE brake cooling kit (no longer sold) on the fronts and I've only experienced the car with it. Running CL RC5+ pads I can run 20-30/min sessions on track and street just fine. Although, I'll admit these are not great pads for either, more of a middle ground to avoid needing to swap pads. Something I'm going to have to get over.

I thought about removing the front cooling ducts wondering if they really do anything. Then my mind is always changed at the track when someone rolls off with boiled fluid and smoking rotors. It breaks down to the brake ducts are insurance that provide peace-of-mind. Whether that justifies having them or not is a personal decision, I vote yes.

Pad swapping: If you don't know the Carbon Lorraine (CL) pads are a sintered metal and do not have to be bedded in. Which makes swapping them as simple as, well, swapping them. Might be a good option for you if you're looking to simplify the task.

BTW: Thanks for the links :clap:, I didn't know these products existed. I've never liked how my ducts run to where the fog lights normally mount (see picture) in the center grill. Now that my oil coolers are gone I'm going to buy those inserts and move the ducts to the side vents.

Attachments

Reactions: JiveTurkey
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.