LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community - View Single Post - Emissions PSA- anyone with a non-stock tune
View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
namoom

I hate when people don't reply with results

This is for Colorado Counties that test emissions- it should be damn close if not the same as what you see in California

My ECU was alerted on because the cat reported "n/a" via odb at the emissions station (normally "not ready" if this isn't disabled in the ECU). This is why I had to deal with the deeper level of emissions inspector station.
The emissions station does not accept any ecu with anything other than a stock image. Due to EPA regulations BOE has to leave put their registered number in the ECU any time they modify something at an ECU level- therefore- not stock.

Because I needed a completely stock ECU for emissions I put the stock motor back in with a new ecu that had a factory image- I was too worried about running the BOE engine on reduced compression with a stock tune and messing something up.

In the future all emissions components have to check in properly and reflect as much via ODB- not just the CAT but BOE usually disables the o2 sensors as well.
To address this I have all emissions components on the car with 2 ECUs- one for Track use (emissions components set to BOE preference) and one for the street with all emissions components enabled

Even with the aftermarket engine and supercharger the car will pass the normal emissions without a problem with the second ECU- as long as I don't get flagged for going to the station with the track ECU and it's emission components disabled

2006 Elise BOE engine and REV400

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome