The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Potential Fire Hazard - OEM radio in 2005 Elise

2K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  steelypip 
#1 ·
I am so glad I changed out my radio. :smile2: I may have saved my car! You can see from the pictures that the OEM radio was getting so hot from playing MP3 CDs that it chard the paper label and melted the foam on the radio mounting bracket. I can only assume that the laser in the CD head was getting very hot. I discovered this when I installed a new head unit in my 2005 Elise last week. Has anyone else seen this on their radios?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
The label is burned. I think some of the staining my be from the melting foam.

#4 ·
I've swapped HU's in my Elise twice now. Ditched the Acapulco and stock speakers about 8 years ago. I then swapped the Kenwood I had for a Pioneer last summer because I wanted all the new bells and whistles. The two I swapped were in pristine condition still when removed. I do know they can get a little warm but I haven't seen anything like yours!

I also see what esseye is saying....it does kinda look like staining and rust on the metal (as well as the light brown on the paper) from the pics. Not sure either way but at least it is outta there.

#9 ·
That looks crazy. I can't comment as I never used my cd player once before switching to a new unit recently. Not by choice though, as it would never play a cd if I tried too haha. Glad you switched it out when you did. Maybe a good idea to check your new unit as well every now and than knowing the unit is of the more inexpensive variety.

Gabe

#10 ·
#11 ·
I had mine out last year to put in an aux cable. I don't remember seeing any damage.
I'll second mouse pee as mine had a nest behind the radio when I bought it. Luckily the dash comes apart easily and there was no evidence of chewing just a nasty brown soup mostly on top of the HVAC vents. Thankfully it cleaned up rather easily once the dash pad was off. I overkilled with mouse traps last winter just in case. No repeat customers so far.

#12 ·
i still have the stock radio 14 years old and still running. No problems at all except at times it searches for a signal for certain radio stations in bad/good areas. Havent listened to CD's for a long time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.