The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

400 Evora won’t start

619 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  jream 
#1 ·
2nd time it’s done this...
Battery is fine, everything accessory wise works in the car. Basically you unlock the car insert the key, no red light on the dash, and push the start button and nothing happens. You hear a slight hum which I’m assuming is the fuel pump, but the car does not turn over, the car does not make any clicking noises, nothing Other than the fuel pump sound. Last time it did this, we sat scratching our heads for 15 minutes, then magically it started working. Today it did the exact same thing. We went for a drive. Did a few things stopping and turning it off and turning it back on. Stopped to grab lunch. Hour later went outside to start and nothing.

Anyone having any advice or familiar with this? Stuck here and not completely sure what to do.

#2 ·
I know this is going to sound really stupid, but are you pressing down on the brake? This happened to me a few times when I was in a hurry and not thinking and it turned out I was not pressing down on the brake or at least not pressing hard enough.

If you are maybe your brake switch is going bad. I think it has happened to a few others on the forum. Luckily its a pretty cheap part.

Reactions: glb
#3 ·
Well I found the culprit. My buddy was with me and he has a 2014 Evora. When we left lunch I was going to let him drive home and when we were trying to take off, since his does not have the pushbutton start he was not pressing the brake when trying to start. Somehow this is either engaging the shut off mode or changed the physics of the brake Pedal that required it to be pushed harder than normal after trying to start it using just the key and turning it like you would normally start A non-push start button car. Normally I don’t jam the brake pedal down when I start it and I wasn’t giving the pedal the beans when I was trying to start it. So after posting above, I gave the pedal a really solid push and that did the trick! Coincidentally the last time it happened was when I let my buddy try to drive it for the first time and the same thing happened before! Thx for the suggestion!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.