The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

How difficult to upgrade to Inokinetic Gpan3?

4K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Jetblast 
#1 ·
I'd like to upgrade to a baffled oil pan. Is this something I could easily do myself? I have ramps and basic tools. I'm just curious how complex of a job this is. Also wondering where would I get the new seal or gasket, does it come with the Gpan? And will the Fumoto valve I have on the OEM oil pan fit the Gpan. Shop quoted me $500 to install the gpan, but I think I could do it myself and save the money.

Thanks!

#2 ·
I have no idea about the valve. But the pan itself isn't tough . Make sure you have the bolts or studs for it. As far as the gasket , check out boe the have one that is super simple and $25 . After you get the under tray and all that down it's not that tough just take time and patience . Make sure you have a tool to remove the current gasket, but after doing it myself ( granted not that pan , but a moroso ) I wouldn't pay to have it done . YMMV

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

#4 ·
I would call inokinetic and ask if theirs will work with stock bolts , chances are it won't and they will probably sell it to you , it won't be expensive. Probably $20-35 ( don't hold me to that lol).

And any automotive shop should have it or you can pick one up from Amazon also there's a spray to help with it as well. Just make sure you wear proper protective gear . It will take a bit more force than probably expected to remove the gasket , it did for me at least. And make sure the surface is perfectly clean before installing the new one .

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

#8 ·
There really aren't any other systems or sensors that will be affected while you're doing the pan. The design of the Elise allows great access once you remove the lower engine access panel. Once you have the engine bay opened up, take a good look around for any issues, pay particular attention to the metal cooling U-tube ( https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f311/cooling-ticking-timebomb-how-your-cooling-u-tube-47232/ ) if you haven't already checked yours. Good luck!

#10 ·
The hardest part of the job is removing the existing pan. Doesn't really want to come off. I used one of these [ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NXVDP9X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

Once the stock pan is off, make sure to use a razor blade to remove ALL the original sealant. If not, it will leak.

BOE gasket make the install of new pan a breeze.

#11 · (Edited)
its not a difficult or complicated job. It does take time.

You do not want to scratch the surface the existing pan mates to. It can be a little cumbersome to get the existing pan starting to pry off. Cumbersome again when removing the old gasket - take your time to remove all the old material.

I definitely recommend the BOE gasket although I haven't had a chance to use it. Likely much more foolproof assuming a clean mating surface.

As for the bolts, I don't think any pan has you drill out the old fasteners so the only risk you have is ruining one while removing the old pan... so plan on reusing the fasteners you have. Edit - JFH is right, mine must have come with longer bolts as I dont remember having to purchase anything.

Also, your existing fumoto will not transfer over to the new pan.

#16 ·
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lP89Nz7guSM

Look here, All the info you need is here.
Very helpful, thank you. When folks talk about removing any residue, they're referring to the surface on the under side of the block, correct? Is using a razor blade to remove the residue all that is needed? Does it need to be 100% totally clean before installing the gasket?

I guess I'll be learning as I go on this one...

#15 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.