Autocross/track day numbers - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2015, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
craigyirush

Autocross/track day numbers

Looking for recommendations for where to buy track day numbers (I hate having to use tape; my efforts always look like the work of a five year old, though that might be an insult to five year olds!).

I have magnetic numbers from when I used to track my 911, but I am assuming that won't work with a fiberglass Elise.

05 Elise, ST, sports, touring, hardtop, DBA 4000 slotted discs, Ferodo DS2500 pads, Sector 111 gpan3, EP Tuning Quickrack, Pro Alloy rad, DS brace, HnT pad, front and rear tow hooks, CG lock, ORE double cup holder (caffeine for track); '86 911 Targa (sold); '68 MGB (being restored)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2015, 09:20 AM

http://www.chuforiagraffix.com/

The website looks like it's down right now for some reason though

2005 Nightfall Blue Elise: Sport, Touring, Quantum Zeros, Pro Alloy, BWR De-Cat, Stage II, BOE Torque200 tune
Old 01-13-2015, 09:23 AM

Track Day Numbers

The reusable vinyl ones are really good.

Old 01-13-2015, 11:31 AM

TrackDecals | Vinyl Race Track and Road Course Decals and Stickers

'05 CO Elise Mods: Yes
'01 NFR S2000 Mods: No
Old 01-13-2015, 02:02 PM

You're right. You can't use magnetic ones. Mostly vinyl numbers get used, and sometimes reusable ones if you can keep it clean.

And another recommendation for Chuforia.
It gets shipped in a two-day shipping, usually in a mailing tube.

2001 2JZ-GE
2008 N54B30
2008 2ZZ-GZE
2015 N63B44O1

http://www.youtube.com/forkmeupscotty
Old 01-13-2015, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
craigyirush

How long lasting are the Chuforia reusable numbers? I'll take them off to drive home after each track day. Also are they hard to apply?

I assume not being able to use them in the rain won't be a problem in So Cal!

05 Elise, ST, sports, touring, hardtop, DBA 4000 slotted discs, Ferodo DS2500 pads, Sector 111 gpan3, EP Tuning Quickrack, Pro Alloy rad, DS brace, HnT pad, front and rear tow hooks, CG lock, ORE double cup holder (caffeine for track); '86 911 Targa (sold); '68 MGB (being restored)
Old 01-13-2015, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigyirush View Post
How long lasting are the Chuforia reusable numbers? I'll take them off to drive home after each track day. Also are they hard to apply?

I assume not being able to use them in the rain won't be a problem in So Cal!
As long as you keep the surfaces on the car AND the number clean and don't get any wrinkles, you can probably use it 4-ish times.
I've done it 3 times, and by that time it's gotten so many wrinkles that I just gave up. It's partially my fault for just leaving out wherever after peeling it off, though. Putting the back on the backings they came from, and putting them in a large brown envelope type thingies is probably the best storage method. I got lazy once and put the numbers on when the car wasn't clean, and the numbers started to disappear after a few sessions. That was a bit embarrassing.

They're VERY easy to apply once you get a hang of it. The car has a bit of a curvature, but as long as you take your time and be gentle with it, you'll be fine. Try not to use too much force and stretch the material when removing the bubbles. It's better to reposition and reapply than to squeeze the bubbles out. I usually just use microfiber towels to spread out the force and keep the bubbles out. Lint from the towels can get caught on small details so you should watch out for that. And don't put too much pressure and scrape the edges as it'll cause ripples on the edges, which will make it easy to get caught in the wind and start separating. Cleaning the numbers for times where you need to use it just one last time also helps quite a bit.

Lastly, I'd highly recommend the Track Day Rocker Guards as those area gets beat up quite a bit. It might not be as strong as the typical paint protection films, but they at least keep small chips and tire scums off the area at very affordable price point.

2001 2JZ-GE
2008 N54B30
2008 2ZZ-GZE
2015 N63B44O1

http://www.youtube.com/forkmeupscotty
Old 01-13-2015, 04:14 PM

Honestly. Choose 1 number and get a dozen of the adhesive ones made. The static is a pain and they are not worth a **** after being used once.

+1 one the rocker guards.

2012 Evora 2+0 IPS.
2007 Exige mental track toy.
2005 Elise.
1982 Brunette.

"Listen up, I ain't Captain Walker. I'm the guy who carries Mr. Dead in his pocket."

"CHARLIE DON'T SURF"
Old 01-26-2015, 08:41 AM

+1 for soloperformance.com...my adhesive vinyl numbers have lasted me two years (~16 events?). I am probably due for a new set this year.
Old 04-02-2016, 12:23 PM
user /tron

Digging up the thread for a specific question: The track day I have at the end of hte month specifically says 8" numbers required. I wanted to get a panel (circle or oval) with my three digit number, but looking at soloperformance's measurements those panels are too big for the door of the Elise! What have others used for 3-digits in 8" height? Thanks

~Matt
'06 CO Elise
'17 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro, cement grey
'16 VW GTI, Wifey's ride
Past toys: '02 WRX | '06 STI | '14 Subaru BRZ
Old 04-02-2016, 04:25 PM

I print my own on a color laser printer. The sheets are 8 1/2 by 11 white. I create a new set each year and use them all season (8-10 events). They are easy to apply, clean the car surface and put fluid on the back of the number (I use Windex), put on the car and squeeze out the air bubbles. This works for autocross speeds. When I go on track, I also tape the perimeter to be sure they stay on. As previously mentioned you need to take care or them. I put them on the backing sheet they came on and store them in a stiff presentation folder.

In my picture, the numbers are about 8 inches high and the class is the bottom section.

I get these sheets here: White Static Cling Media for Color Laser
Attached Images

Howard
2005 Elise AP LSS hardtop
Old 04-09-2016, 01:31 PM
user /tron

Just ordered a neat custom set of reusable vinyl panels from SpinnyWhoosh.com. I'll let everyone know how they workout once they come in!

~Matt
'06 CO Elise
'17 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro, cement grey
'16 VW GTI, Wifey's ride
Past toys: '02 WRX | '06 STI | '14 Subaru BRZ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > Track and Technique

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in