Did My Local Shop Mess Up My Alignment? - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Did My Local Shop Mess Up My Alignment?

I'm pretty sure my alignment was set up wrong. I just need confirmation from someone with more knowledge than me. I changed out my bushings for monoballs and decided to do my own alignment. I checked my rear toe today and it turns out I have 0.76mm of toe OUT Left (45.36mm from string front, 46.12mm rear) and 1.29mm of toe out right side(45.22mm front, 46.51 rear). Now I'm confused. I can't find my last alignment but I found the one before it (April 1016). I never noticed before but the alignment says negative toe. Correct me if I'm wrong but negative toe is toe out? Meaning my shop has been setting my rear toe to be out instead of in for the last year. I always assumed the rear wanting to step out all the time was due to the Penske DA I installed at the same time I got my alignment. I know I should have noticed the alignment form sooner I just trusted the shop and never thought to question them.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 07:37 PM
2006 Exige

Garage
The rear toe does not say negative. The rear camber above it does say negative.

That minus and plus indicates which side of their ideal setting you are on.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 02:42 AM Thread Starter

You're right the number doesn't have a negative sign but the arrow clearly is to the negative side of the ideal range. The front right toe is slightly toe in and the arrow is slightly pointed to the positive side.

Most likely the shop did my alignment right. I'm just trying to figure out how the toe changed so much. Apparently the rear is super sensitive.

Last edited by Chemist710; 05-08-2017 at 05:28 AM.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 06:57 AM
Supporting Vendor

You want Toe Out or Zero at the front and Toe In for the rear. Feel free to call me to discuss (951)551-0900

InoKinetic - Tasty Bits for Your Lotus

BlackShadow Motors - Niche Car Sales, Service & Restoration

Email or call (951)296-6762 us for advice. We will respond!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 07:47 AM

Seems Total toe for rear is a bit aggressive. Everything else looks good. You beeta be driving the daylights out of it with all that rear camber!! NICE!!!

16 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Ext Campio /Grigio Chronos w/full MC Carbon Fiber interior trim, Stock for now
18 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Visconti Verde/Brown Leather Remus Catback,Eurocompulsion Phase 2 V2 intake, 390HP/443ft-lb Tq!
16 Range Rover Sport HSE, Montalcino Red w/Ivory Leather-[/COLOR]- 456HP/412ft-lb Tq
12 Maxda MX-5 Miata GT PRHT True Red/Black leather
11 Lotus Evora "S" Persian Blue, Grey/Black Suedetex/Leather
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 09:30 AM
He's on fire!

Your measurements do indicate rear toe out, but we're also assuming you setup a perfect square on the string alignment rig. Tear down your strings and put them back up. Do you get the same measurements indicating toe out, or are your measurements different than the first time? If your measurements aren't the same, then at least part of the problem is your process.

When you say you did your own alignment, what do you mean? did you make alterations to camber, toe, ride hieght, or did you only measure what they are?

I'd recommend checking your work with one of those big calipers that gives you total toe, or going back to the alignment shop and just having them tell you what your current alignment is.

Of the sheet you provided, your rear camber is more negative than most plots unless you're putting the car on track, and on slicks. Also from the sheet, for the rear it indicates more toe in than typical. Mine is set at 2.8mm total toe in for the rear, but overall I think you're looking for around 3mm total. Of course nothing is absolute, but if you don't have much knowledge in the world of alignments and you're not using someone elses "known good" alignment as a reference, probably should be closer to the "norms."

"Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds62f View Post
Your measurements do indicate rear toe out...
Do they? It looks like the measurements are just on the negative side of the specified value.

If the value was actually toe out, it would be a negative number... right? At first, I thought it was toe out but the measurements are positive. Normally the Hunter output sheet shows the specified range, but this one doesn't. It seems like that's adding to the confusion.

2006 Lotus Elise
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 02:47 PM
He's on fire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawson View Post
Do they? It looks like the measurements are just on the negative side of the specified value.

If the value was actually toe out, it would be a negative number... right? At first, I thought it was toe out but the measurements are positive. Normally the Hunter output sheet shows the specified range, but this one doesn't. It seems like that's adding to the confusion.

One of us has misinterpreted the OP because it is poorly written. How I interpreted: In the text, he says that he set up a string alignment system and took his own measurements which indicate toe out. Then he goes on to say that he cannot find his most recent alignment sheet from his shop, and instead posted an old one from April 2016, which is the picture.

The problem is the OP's measurements contradict the shop's sheet, which isn't really valid anyway because it does not represent the most recent alignment done by the shop. My questions revolve around ironing out if he really has toe out or not, because according to his measurements he does, but according to the alignment sheet he posted he does not.

"Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 02:53 PM
2006 Exige

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jds62f View Post
One of us has misinterpreted the OP because it is poorly written. How I interpreted: In the text, he says that he set up a string alignment system and took his own measurements which indicate toe out. Then he goes on to say that he cannot find his most recent alignment sheet from his shop, and instead posted an old one from April 2016, which is the picture.

The problem is the OP's measurements contradict the shop's sheet, which isn't really valid anyway because it does not represent the most recent alignment done by the shop. My questions revolve around ironing out if he really has toe out or not, because according to his measurements he does, but according to the alignment sheet he posted he does not.
His other concern was that the shop had been doing it wrong all of this time. The print out shows a value slightly negative of ideal. But it is not NEGATIVE toe. The shop was doing it right. The minus sign threw the OP off a bit with that.

So yes, his latest measurements show toe out.

OP: you can see above the rear toe is the rear camber. It shows a minus (negative) in front of the camber measurement. Then above, it shows that it is on the negative side of the ideal measurement, not necessarily negative of zero, but in this case it is. Negative camber. Back to the toe. It is positive, but on the negative side of ideal. Not on the negative side of zero. I don't think any of that makes sense....
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 03:15 PM

Yeah, reading comprehension failure on my part. My mistake.

Assuming string was accurately constructed, toe out. Hunter print out shows toe in.

2006 Lotus Elise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community > Motorsports > Track and Technique

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in